Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've just got done with the wallet that comes with the Tandy deluxe starter kit. It was alot of fun and I was surprised at how quickly I picked it up. A few questions though, do I need to treat the leather with anything once it's been stained? The dvd/booklet doesn't say much about that. Which hands do people use for tooling? I've been using my dominant (right) hand for the mallet and left hand for holding the tool, it makes walking the tool smoothly difficult but holding the mallet in my left hand seems alot more awkward. Lastly the Tandy site is kind of intimidating with its range of leathers, whats a good piece to get that I can use for multiple projects? Should I buy leather for each individual project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
What do you guys use to maintain the leather once it's been sealed? I've been using Eco-Flo Super Shene on finished pieces but I've assumed the water resistance would stop any kinds of treatment oils or creams absorbing?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

syntaxrigger posted:

We just picked names for secret santa and I'd like to make a wallet for my santee. On a scale of one to ten how hard is a wallet with a fleur de lis shaped on it?

I think everyone's work here is great! Thanks for making lurking in this thread enjoyable.

Wallets are fairly simple. I follow the pattern from here: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/11/30/how-to-make-a-wallet/ Although I use a slightly heavier leather for the outside (~4oz) and pigskin for the card slots etc.

A fluer de lis shouldn't be too hard depending on which design you use.

The hardest time I ever have is with the dying, I always end up not using enough blockout, or not letting it dry properly etc and end up having to start over.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Emushka posted:

sorry, but I beg to differ.

Okay, on which part? Granted my wallets look nowhere near as professional as yours.