Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
For someone who came across this thread and thought "Wow, this looks really kind of nifty, I might enjoy this as a hobby and could make a little scratch with some practice!" would it be worth picking up the starter kit from Tandy? I see it's on huge discount right now ($50 shipped compared to over $130 normally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Picking this back up after a few years, only have a bag of scrap leather and the six basic craftools that you got in the old Tandy deluxe starter kit.

This was pretty disenheartening, and I almost chucked it after roughing it out, but after bevelling I liked it better. I do believe my swivel knife work, needs work:

Edit: My second attempt, this time original instead of a poor tracing, is much improved:

Thankfully it's fast to pick the essentials back up, but I'm about where I was when I left off in terms of understanding the composition:

Should I bevel the sides of the knit as well, to provide definition instead of the unfinished knife edges? Or should I leave it as is? Should I fully stamp in the "hollows" between the knot for extra definition?

The leathercraft handbook is slim on techniques :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 13, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WayneCampbell posted:

Where do you guys source your hardware from? I'm looking for higher quality than the standard Chinese manufactured stuff.

Etsy, look for the brass workers. Downside: $$$$