Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Both excellent posts/projects! My fingers are in pain just looking at the stitching required for iwentdoodie's bag, and Ziggy Smalls' use of 3D-printing might be some of the most clever I've seen.

Sadly, I'm going to be That Poster for a while -- nothing to contribute, but still have all my tools and many supplies but had to store them away due to a lack of working space. One day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Looking pretty dang nice!

That looks either like chrome-tanned leather or some super-soft-temper vegtan? If it's chrome, I'd love to hear a comparison to how it stitches vs. vegtan (which is the only thing I've used). It seems like it would fight you all the way if you're stitching by hand.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Huh, I legit expected that the floppiness would've made it more of a struggle to get it to cooperate. Good to know!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ohh yeah, I have a couple of bags of tiny binder clips. Thanks for reminding me!

Tokonole is freaking magic, you'll love it. Besides edgework it's also great for smoothing out the flesh side of the leather (using a nice and heavy chunk of glass/wood to apply and polish with). Depending on the seller, the splits seem to have been done using a rusty scythe...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

It almost sounds like you're describing snaps, which I haven't messed with yet.

Yeah, it does sound like snaps. They need a setter tool, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBNL6lluLM

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
lol

But I'm also envious as hell

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Come to the hellworld known as FL and gently caress up some animal skins with me

Ha! Not that it was in the cards, but my wife is from Jacksonville and has expressly forbidden any notion of us moving to FL.

Psykoguy posted:

This was the first time I used a stitching awl, and I had fun with it (until the cheap awl I was using broke. Don't buy cheap awls)

As good as your final product looks, I don't think you could pay me to stitch with just an awl. It's exhausting to even think about :sweatdrop:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hot drat! You should be tremendously proud of that bag, it looks fantastic.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I genuinely think black + gold looks better than black + nickel would, for example. And like you said, if the customer is happy that's all that matters :)

Is this the roller you mentioned?

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/edge-paint-roller?variant=12411551939

I always wondered whether that's actually useful or a gimmick, so it's good to hear there's something to it. I'll see YouTube leatherworkers use an awl with good results, while my attempts were garbage :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you both!

VelociBacon posted:

The gum I was thinking of is gum tragacanth.

I used that briefly before trying Tokonole -- a huge improvement, highly recommended.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another post of encouragement!

I'm a few weeks from diving back in for a leatherwork project of my own for a secret santa thing, and I'll definitely post about it here.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

VelociBacon posted:

where a better version exists relatively affordably.

I'd have zero hobbies following that!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I did attempt using sandpaper to round the edges a bit (before I got a beveler) but all I managed to do was scratch up the face of the leather :negative:

Since then I've only used it to get the cut edges a bit more even and/or get a start with the burnishing or paint prep.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Some haphazard thoughts because I just woke up from a nap and I don't know what drat day it is:

Stretching might be reduced if the straps are lined (with a different leather or material altogether), kinda how some regular belts are. But that would require stitching a looong distance, and I wouldn't want to do that by hand.

If the flesh side of the leather is too fuzzy, I heartily recommend this approach to get it way, way smoother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIBTDKtyFY

If your rivets are too short, you might want to try using Chicago screws (with a dab of thread lock) since those are available in longer sizes.

But all of that basically requires starting anew or buying stuff. Skiving a long strap by hand is something I just haven't done, I'm afraid -- at that point it's basically splitting.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HolHorsejob posted:

I've tried burnishing with gum trag to deal with a fuzzy flesh side in the past. Would it work well with something that's expected to be in contact with skin? With bracelets, I've found that, over time, sweat has a tendency to dry and crispify the fuzz and make it abrasive and uncomfortable.

Hm, that's a good point. The flesh side in my projects was only for interiors of pouches and such. I haven't tried it with gum trag, but for what it's worth the tokonole-burnished surface ends up downright glassy. Still, I don't know how it would hold up to getting moisture on it. One would hope the moisture + friction would actually keep burnishing the piece, but that's purely a guess/hope for dumb luck.

iwentdoodie posted:

I've punched probably 1k stitching holes in the past 3 days and regret everything.

Goondolences and/or lmao.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just ordered a couple of small panels from RMLS -- about to start on some Christmas presents. It'll be my first leatherwork in... 14 months? :negative:

poo poo, I sure hope I still remember how to stitch.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Aw yiss, new stuff is here, gonna start on it as early as tonight:

tinned owl posted:

I'm making a wrist phone sleeve, think crappy pipboy. Flesh or grain side to skin and how would you finish it? It'll be multiple layers (veg tan) so I can make it end up either.

Don't know if there's a strict rule, but most traditional watch bands would have a grain side to skin, so I don't think you can really go wrong with that. Not really sure what would be a good finish though.

On the other hand, many NATO or single-pass straps are made with flesh side to skin (example, and what I'll be doing as part of this project) so that's definitely a thing too. I plan on using a Tokonole + vigorous burnish to smooth it out. I posted about the technique which works for me here:

Trabant posted:

If the flesh side of the leather is too fuzzy, I heartily recommend this approach to get it way, way smoother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIBTDKtyFY

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was going to post my upcoming projects all at once, but life's being a bitch at the moment so I'll just post them as I finish them.

We're doing a Secret Santa thing in the watches thread, so I'm making a few things for my Santee. I don't think he's itt, but even if he is he doesn't know I'm his Santa so... Here's one of the things he's getting: a simple watch strap, modeled here using a watch I got from my own Secret Santa:

Conceria Walpier Buttero, flesh side finished using the approach I linked in my previous post, edges beveled and burnished with Tokonole, stainless steel buckle.

I discovered I don't really like working with black leather, or at least not when my cutting mat is also black :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Alright, more watch-related nonsense, a different type of strap and this time not exactly successful. You might call it a learning experience, but definitely not something I'll be gifting:

The good news is that I think I have a decent edge painting technique, and applying a lining for the first time (pigskin) was reasonably successful. My stitching is also fairly consistent and the thread casting makes it look good in the back as well.

The bad? Let me count the ways:

1) Made the strap too thick at the lugs (where it connects to the watch itself), so it's extremely difficult to install and rubs against the watch, scratching up the leather
2) Cut the strap to the right width, but then applied 4 coats of edge paint + a burnish, making it too wide to fit through the buckle
3) Made the whole thing too short for the recipient's wrist
4) Punched at an angle, making the front of the band OK but the stitch line on the back back drifts towards the edges
5) ... I don't know, probably something else

Enough moaning! This didn't work out, and I'm inclined to try again but some other time. In the meantime, I'll supplement the NATO-style strap from my previous post with something else I'll try.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You might be able to use something like this:

to improve it. There are a number of shapes built into the base, and one of those might work. I use this to keep lino carving tools sharp.

Or you can put together a DIY solution: shape a piece of wood (or really dense foam) to fit the profile and put some superfine sandpaper over it.

None of these are truly sharpening solutions, though. It's more like polishing or stropping.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's a slick solution, and way better than my "shape some wood" suggestion!

Not as slick, but seems to be working -- babby's first wet moulding (a pen case):

It came together reasonably easily, which makes me think I probably screwed it up and won't find out until I disassemble it all :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

VelociBacon posted:

It's definitely not going anywhere.

Literally what I said to myself after clamping it all together :v:

Progress made! Unclamped the thing and it's holding shape. I needed a place for the pen clip so I had to very awkwardly cut the space for an insert and punch holes. I cut it with a combination of a lovely arc punch and knife. The finishing of the edge of the cutout isn't great, but it's the best I could do. I then lightly marked the positions of stitching holes with a chisel and pierced through with an awl (with a wine cork underneath). Glued in a contrasting piece and now waiting for it to dry before I take the awl to it again:

I'm really doing this, slightly oversized. Of course, the guy happened to omit how he did this, the worst part, so I had to make things up.

For those interested, he created the form with just a stack of foam (harvested from foamcore boards, I think) and it works remarkably well -- it's easy to shape and resilient enough to stand up to my, uh, overzealous clamping.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Alright, I just want to add that this "stitching bent leather" thing is complete bullshit and shouldn't be part of any project. As small as it was, I'm glad to see the end of it:

This was the reason I stabbed myself with a needle and drew blood for the first time. Not even gonna clean it off my stitching pony, it needs to bear witness:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A trifecta of thoughtful, practical, and handmade. You make me sick.

jk, of course -- you should be proud, it came out great!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Declaring this one done. It's a bit rough in spots and a learning experience (e.g. forgot to install the keeper while stitching the main body together, had to do it after :shepicide:), but it's passable:

Wet-formed upper, pigskin-lined backing, a different kind of veg tan for the clip insert, painted edges.

One more project over the next couple of days, and that will probably be it as far as leatherwork this year. Every time I break out the tools I'm reminded I live in a place too small for these shenanigans :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you :) I'm also a fan of the contrast, the combo seemed to work well.

Ideally, I would've used the same leather for both the lining and the pen clip inset, but I didn't have the right weights of leather to pull it off without making it waaaay bulkier than it should be.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Not like I'm going to wear it

And why the hell not? It's amazing! Go scare some children around the neighbourhood.

WIP:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You know.... living in TX myself, I absolutely should have thought of that :negative:

This is my first time doing gussets! They're a pain to align, even without the added pressure of glue working time, but the pouch is taking shape:

By the way, for anyone stitching by hand -- get yourself one of these at the retailer of your choice:

I know it looks like a sex toy (and could probably function as one?) but it's a lifesaver when it comes to saddle stitching. Makes it so much easier to grip and push/pull needles. I'd pay way more than the $15 it costs, it's so freaking good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Aaaand finished! Both my Secret Santa gifts and my leatherwork for the near future -- my tiny office area looked like a tornado hit a Tandy Leather store. Here are some horribly blown out photos the watch pouch:

(you're supposed to put the watch around the blue insert like this)

Yes, it's silly, but it's a Watch Thing. Hoping my Santee likes it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Hey, can you make me a new belt? My old one fell apart."

:cripes:

Yes, dad, I will make you a new belt. I'll make you a dozen if it means you will never ever again buy the first belt you see on the $2.99 rack at Walmart.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A fairly quick one -- slip sheath for my skiving knife:

I only got my lazy rear end to make it because I need to have it sharpened and would've been too embarrassed to take it in wrapped in a towel or something :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Wellll there are also a couple of chips in the blade :suicide: It needs some professional attention, or at least more than I could do on my own.

It's still a complete mystery to me what caused the chips. I've never dropped it, I've always used it on a cutting mat, and exclusively to cut leather. It's by Vergez Blanchard, so it's not like the blade is some pig iron either. I'm baffled and disappointed, but I'd rather have it looked at than spend $$$ on a new one.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I tried capturing it with my phone's lovely, lovely camera. You can see the worst damage at the corners:

I think what I did wrong must have been "pivoting" on the corners of the blade as I tried to cut curves or round corners. The edge must have delicate enough that if I managed to embed it into the cutting mat and then twisted the knife... it just couldn't handle the twist and snapped. I don't think I did that very often, but it just seems like using a skiving knife for non-skiving purposes. A round head knife would be better, so maybe I'll put that on a wishlist instead of messing around like this.

Anyway -- it's a deep enough set of chips that I would think it needs grinding back, maybe around 0.5mm if I had to guess. That's why I'd rather have a professional do it than trying to improvise a guide and using the stones.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That sounds... difficult. I'd be looking for a professional, tbh.

It might be possible to barge cement it together and lean into the visible repair by using a contrasting patch or stitches. That could get ugly in a hurry though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PirateDentist posted:

Are there any places to find interesting stamps online that are more reputable than others? Looking for dragon scale or a reptile skin design.

Having never used stamps, I can only suggest asking on r/Leathercraft or their Discord. There are certainly more people doing leatherwork there than here.

I know Reddit is generally... you know, Reddit, but it's not a bad place for arts & crafts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The tiniest plague! :kimchi: (because fever)

Since you mentioned stamps: has anyone tried this laser-engraved acrylic approach to creating debossing stamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8QP_7LL7s

I'm going to try doing that with 1/8" acrylic. Thing is, our makerspace's laser is ludicrously overpowered at 225W so if you have any suggestions on where to start with power/speed settings, fire away :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Awesome -- thanks for the tips!

For what it's worth, I'm not planning on a very deep engraving, maybe 1/16" (which to me seems enough for stamping purposes) and the stamp size is going to be about 1.5" across. I'm hoping it's not a large enough surface to warp like it can be seen in the video around 1:23, which might let me get away with the 1/8" thick scraps I have to work with.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bird_App_Refugee posted:

Is there a good cheap skiving knife people recommend? Like $40 or less.

No personal experience with this but I think it's cheap enough to be worth a try:

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/skiving-cutting-knives/products/olfa-japanese-skiving-utility-knife?variant=5283925917725

You can get it elsewhere too, along with replacement blades.

I like Olfa's cutting tools in general so I trust they make a good blade for this too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Follow-up on my experiments with laser-engraving acrylic to create a leather stamp:

Ended up using 1/4" clear stock and produced this:

(some of the brown leather dye rubbed off during the stamping)

The edges are sharp and the bottom is very rough, but thankfully neither managed to damage the leather. Using a 1-ton press wasn't really enough, imo, but it did produce an image:

This whole thing was to make a present, a coin pouch keychain... thing to hold a not-at-all-Etsy bootleg Manchester United poker chip, stamped with their devil:

Inspiration from a much more involved r/leathercraft project. That guy creates molds of the coins to create a stamp, which is a whole lot more effort vs. my "download the svg from Wikipedia, fire up the laser" approach.

Still, there's promise there! I'll be trying it again eventually with a bit more trial and error and a more powerful press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, I did -- with very warm water, and the leather soaked up a lot of it. I even left the water sitting on the surface for a while. Definitely better than just dry, but either I should've gone hotter or with a more powerful press.

edit: this is very soft veg tan, which I thought would bode well for stamping.