Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thread necromancy! Another present for a goon:

It's a field notes cover (pattern from here, slightly modified), Conceria Walpier Buttero veg tan chestnut of about 1.5mm from RMLS, and a fabric lining from Etsy because we're watch dorks.

I screwed up the spacing for the liner so it's kinda visible where the outer and inner leather layers meet. I stitched it really well and burnished the crap out of the edges but still :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you! :)

I don't know if I'm getting better, but I'm definitely making fewer basic mistakes and feeling more confident. I probably could get a lot better if I made stuff more frequently than 6 months apart :thunk:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Depending on the definition of "purse" there may be something at WP Standard that fits the bill. I bought one of their messenger bags more than 12 years ago -- fantastic leather and construction, still going strong.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

Another necomancy!

I have this old military map case and thought you guys here would be the best to know how to deal with it. It's pretty old and has some patina but also water spots and cracking at the top. I'm ordering some Saphir Renovateur, creme and polish for my shoes and thought I could take care of the case as well somehow. Any suggestions?

I've done the "saddle soap to clean, leather conditioner to recover, optional top coat to protect" thing before. Both Leather Honey and Chamberlain Leather Milk products have worked well for me.

And yeah, I imagine Saphir would absolutely do the trick, but it's more $/gram than cocaine so I've reserved that for shoes only.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

God drat I feel this.

Sup barely occasional leatherwork buddy! That's a cool wallet and kind thing to do, good on ya :)

I needed a small one day build because a woodturning project took me weeks to finish, so here's a keychain I made recently:

I don't actually drive a Yugo, but my family is ex-:tito: so I handed out a few to be worn on our Honda and Nissan keys :v: The badge is vinyl that I cut out and then protected with a dome of UV-cured resin.

Next up is a first for me, in the next couple of weeks: making a tool bag per Dieselpunk.ro's pattern:

Trying new-to-me things along the way, including using 1.5mm round stitch holes instead of diamond, saddle-stitch ones I've been using so far. The leather is 6-7oz and there's plenty of stitching to do, figured I'd save myself a bit of pain on the first attempt.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Thank you. And I love that Yugo Keychain.

I've done a lot of his patterns, as well as leatherhub and creative awl, and I stand by these punches

Just have to pick out the correct spacing. I think most of his are 6mm spacing, at least that's the set I have.

Hey, exactly the one I ordered! And yes, I went with 6mm. Amazon said they'd deliver on the 18th and then changed it to today. Let's just check in on that:

Ah :negative:

tinned owl posted:

I upgraded my hole punching to an Arbor press with a chuck in and it's so much better, quicker and quieter than punching by hand. I can punch at night when the kids are in bed or when I'm having a lovely day and not have issues.

Hmm, can a chuck hold onto flat irons like these?

I ask because I tried using the arbor press, although admittedly without a chuck -- I just drilled a hole into the ram because my old chisels had a round handle. Never could get it to punch perfectly vertically though, which was surprising.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, that's looking :krad:!

My Wuta punches arrived, with the 2-prong punch having one needle tip broken off and stuck into the handle :mad: Replacement ahoy...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It was well-packaged, at least on the outside, but it might've been a return that was just turned around and re-sold. The needle tip was broken off and it left the shaft stuck in the body of the punch, so even removing the set screw doesn't help because there's nothing left of the needle to pull on.

About the only way that comes to mind would be to drill & tap the shaft that's stuck in the punch handle, then use a screw to pull it out. But I wasn't about to order a tap & die set and screws when an exchange is simple enough, esp. since we're talking tiny dimensions. Time to cough it up, Bezos Jassy!

(I'm keeping the old set until I receive the new one, because who knows what they'll send me)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

It's looking p drat cool though :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, this project is starting to get out of hand :shepspends:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:krad: I love everything about it, and you are truly mad for even starting on it.

Is it this mannequin you're starting on? I've been eyeing the facehugger mask from that store -- and your project isn't helping :argh: -- so I'm wondering what their patterns are like.

--------

I wasn't able to get started on my toolbox build but I did realize there would be a lot of edge burnishing to do. Like, more than I'd like to do by hand. And since Amazon reviews of Dremel-compatible burnishers say they all end up bent and poo poo, I got on the lathe and copied one that had dimensions posted:

I've yet to install the metal rod, need some epoxy.

Yes, yes, I know -- should've made a flared base.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Lameasses not posting more smdh

That's because you're the only crazy person itt.

I mean, leatherwork? lmao, who even does that?

iwentdoodie posted:

E: also those look awesome. If they work out and you're in the states I'd buy a set off you. I actually ordered one for like 6 bucks from rocky mountain when I ordered edge paint the other day, but I hoard tools and would def buy off a goon.

Thank you :) I've yet to try them -- that's the next step in my build -- but if they turn out to be decent, I'd be happy to send you a free pair. I have leftover materials and it's a quick build, so I'd only charge you some advice on how I could make them better.

Dye is a complete mystery to me, so I'm fairly envious of your results. Sooner or later I'll need to jump into that end of the pool. Hurrah?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We have a handle!

It's padded with a small bit of the same 6-7oz leather sandwiched in the middle.

I have to say that the 1.5mm round punched holes are a lot easier to stitch when compared to the diamond-shaped ones. It's not for superfine goods, but it definitely works for something like this tool bag.

iwentdoodie posted:

Dye is....idk. it's not hard, but it can be a pain in the rear end. Having enough oil in the leather, but not so much it won't absorb. Not enough oil in it, turning thin pieces into cardboard. Coughing and turning your thigh a lovely shade of red.

Precisely why I always go with full aniline when I can :v: It costs more upfront, but I absolutely don't trust myself to do it properly. But if I go down the facehugger mask route, I'll have to figure out how to properly shade the various segments.

Stik3 posted:

Uniters, ~30 minutes wasn't enough for me, I usually left it for an hour between layers to be on the safe side. Maybe I've been laying it on too thick, but I've intentionally tried not to. Probably going to throw some on scrap and get a better idea, with and without airflow.

Huh, that's very different from my experience. I also used Uniters on a couple of pieces and it dries much faster than that. Maybe not 10 mins, but definitely under 15. I don't know if I can offer advice on what to vary though... Could be dumb luck on my end.

edit: applies to all my hobbies:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 3, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tinned owl posted:

those goggles are a great way to use up leather scraps. I was never happy with the red bag and I get to make a new one this year

:krad: post

Also, your stamp reminded me: I ordered one the other day. The Etsy store said:

But then once the shipment went out:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I had OK-ish luck with a laser-cut acrylic stamp I made last year, but I sprung for a brass one from these guys during their 50% off sale:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyKitlifeworld

(last time I made a one-off customized gift stamp, this one is ~*my brand*~)

There are plenty of others who sell some version of stamps like these on Etsy. I should be getting it this week so I'll post an update once I'm able to test, prob this weekend.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
As I was making the lid of the bag, I realized it's the first three-dimensional object I've attempted to make out of leather:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm going to try these:

https://www.buckleguy.com/magnetic-snap-riveted-backs-natural-brass-multiple-sizes/

(specifically the 18mm thin variant)

I'm thinking maybe I should've just bought his hardware kit, but... I don't know, the ones in the video are very nice yet somehow strike me as both too formal and too bulky for a tool bag. I don't really know how to explain it. Their opening mechanism makes me think it belongs on a nicer handbag and their size makes me think they'd be too easy to catch on straps/hooks/whatever else you might have in a shop environment.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Double post, don't care. Small experiment/deviation from the pattern is turning out pretty OK:

The pattern comes with this kind of tool strap:

But Tony suggested customizing it to the tools you're likely to carry around. And since I'm unlikely to carry many handled tools, I indeed changed it up. First I changed the strap length to be just a bit shorter than the panel it attaches to (which involved moving the stitching holes as well). Then I cut slots into the strap and pulled 1.5" heavy-duty elastic through it. Here's the face:

and the back:

The idea being that I'm more likely to use it to carry around stuff like this:

Pretty happy with how it turned out, even though burnishing the slots was absolutely impossible.

Now, will the elastic absolutely revolt against being stitched through? That's for Tomorrow Me to find out!

edit:

tinned owl posted:

I'm very tempted by that pattern.

Forgot to mention: prepare yourself for a fight when it comes to attaching the handle to the lid. And, the stitching holes are huge compared to the diamond-chisel kind, but you'll still be going through 3 layers of 6-7oz veg tan. I stitched that two days ago, my fingers still hurt :shepface:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ poo poo, that looks sturdy. Also a bit like a cousin to Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still.

On my end, I made pockets!

Probably should've used chrome-tanned instead of suede... The suede is resilient enough but they're so very floppy. But also charmingly so.

Heading out of town for 11 days starting on Wednesday, so Tuesday evening is my self-imposed deadline to wrap this one up :ohdear:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! :) Fairly happy with them, despite the floppiness.

Promised a review of the stamp a while back, so here it is: works pretty well!

I first emailed them the .svg design late on 9/21, ordered a few hours later. The stamp eventually arrived from Hong Kong to TX on 10/6. I got the "just mount it on a steel rod" version. You can see the tool marks from the CNC but the stamping surface itself is perfectly flat:

(I applied the blue tape so I can orient myself)

Leaves behind a very good mark when applied by an arbor press:

I could probably use it as a woodburning mark as well, but I don't think I want to test that. Very good for $30 all-in.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Javid posted:

I too have recently discovered I can print any stamp I want with PLA.

Sometimes I don't hate living in the future.

:gowron:

You bring glory to the Empire!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Meanwhile, I bring dishonour to my house because I wasn't able to finish the bag before having to pack and leave for 12 days :ughh:

But look at how pretty the stamped patch looks on the front panel!

To be continued, eventually.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

VelociBacon posted:

That looks fantastic, well done. Like the contrast with the stitching.

e: if you have a flat faced hammer (no markings on the face) might be nice to flatten the stiches out a little! Like a shoe hammer.

Thanks and will do! I have a hammer dedicated to just that, because I'm a gigantic dork.

Having said that... the thread is so chunky (1mm) and stitch holes are so big (1.5mm) that I don't know if hammering it down will actually make a difference. It certainly does when I've made other stuff using diamond chisels and smaller thread, so it's worth a shot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ha, I actually already applied Aussie Wax. It made the leather just a tiny bit darker but yeah, still extremely light. I'm ok with having it slowly patina over time. Probably very slowly.

I got the most natural of veg tan available at Tandy for this purpose, it was somehow the most cost-effective option... Which I then negated by blowing a bunch of money on hardware at BuckleGuy :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The bag is done! To recap, the patterns are from Dieselpunk.ro (bag, strap), the leather is 6-7oz veg tan and ~3oz suede from Tandy, and hardware is from Buckleguy.

Weighing in at an absurd, downright comical 3lb 4oz (aka 1.5kg) when empty, it's by far the biggest thing I've made of leather.

Next steps:

1) Use it to get some actual ~*patina*~ going.

2) Never build something like this again. My poor, wretched hands.

3) Build something like this again, because you're a dummy who forgets how much it hurt.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tinned owl posted:

One of the first things I made was a hip/belt bag to carry my crap when doing archery, now it lives inside my main back pack but gets handled lots. Neatsfoot oil originally, now layers of goon hand grease. Love the patina on that too.

I'm gonna pivot my YouTube channel to leatherwork and start selling goon hand grease as the hot new leather finish product.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made this for a goon secret santa thing and it has been revealed so I can now post it here too.

This is a pouch made using a panel with a skull print from RMLS:

The pouch is meant for a watch (which is why there are a couple of watch straps inside) and I went with a skull pattern because... the recipient has a skeleton avatar :v:

A thing that I learned is that patterned leather -- at least this particular pattern -- makes it really tough to see the stitch line. Just marking it with dividers enough to be visible was a struggle. I honestly don't know what I could've done differently though... there are only so many ways to scratch a line 3mm away from the edge.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made this (from a DS Leather pattern) as a sample for a make-along "class" I might offer at the local makerspace. I'm not the greatest leatherworker, but I'm one of the best at our place so they asked me to think about it :v:

I could offer a "here's how I cut/stitch/burnish" kind of demo, but I think people are going to be a lot more interested if there's something they can take home at the end of it.

Cotton Candidasis posted:

That's an awesome pouch!

Depending on the leather and how visible/prominent you want the stitch line, you could use a stitch groover to carve a shallow groove for the line. Not sure how it would effect the project in this instance, but it does make it easier to see the stitch line.

Thank you! re: groover -- I really should give that thing a shot. Got it in a tool set, tried it on some scrap once, annnnnd I haven't touched it in years. You're right, it might have made a difference here.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Let nobody stand in the way of your passions and/or utter madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CkocBWomno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXTGrVAv8tE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1CZfoYGASs

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just realized I never followed up on this:

iwentdoodie posted:

E: also those look awesome. If they work out and you're in the states I'd buy a set off you. I actually ordered one for like 6 bucks from rocky mountain when I ordered edge paint the other day, but I hoard tools and would def buy off a goon.

The Dremel-mounted burnishing, uh, tips I made weren't all that great. I made them too big and heavy (on account of how dense the wood is) so they end up feeling really weird to work with. I'll get on the lathe again and give it another try -- if those work out better, I'll post here.

Jaxyon posted:

This has been my experience as well. I'm considering slanted narrow holes to be a skill I learn in the future.

Hope you do -- I think consistency is the thing that trips up a lot of people, but the stitching method is relatively straightforward, especially once you figure out the thread casting. These two videos were hugely helpful to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQK8R0oYT8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzTGWin0zM

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You're trying to ruin their life and/or hands!

I'm the one who suggested Warbird ask here :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:hmmyes: Leatherworking: My wife said no more hobbies

It's a very slow-moving thread so it's possible others haven't checked it recently, but at least Lemniscate Blue is willing to give it a shot :v: Or I will, in case that falls through.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Very nice! That stitching is way better than it has any business being for your first attempt. Or fifth, for that matter.

Welcome to the craft and a pre-emptive :rip: to your wallet and fingers.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made a case for one of my favourite weirdo calculators, the infamous Casio QL-10 calculighter:

https://i.imgur.com/AIiUPm3.mp4

It was originally sold with a lame pouch that would've been easier to recreate, but I thought it deserves better. Also making a custom box for it, but not finished with that yet.

The construction is "caviar" pebbled leather and microfiber lining with a stiffener sandwiched in between (all from RMLS), with 0.55mm thread @ 2.5mm spacing saddle stitch all around. The original plan was to do turned edges but the corner radii are so small that I just couldn't make it work. Instead I painted the edges and Tokonole'd them after the fact. Far from ideal, but miles better than leaving them plain.

Also, probably should've stitched around the screen cutout, but thought it would be too crowded visually. I can always come back and do that if it starts delaminating.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
In "deeply unnecessary but I want it" leatherworking news, RMLS has a steel folder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Well it is only $13

:hmmyes: See, this is the kind of enablement I come to these forums for.

Actually, another thing you all can help me with: I'd like to make a small-to-medium leather thing for a fellow goon. He's maddeningly and intentionally light on details that could help me narrow it down to a specific item, but I know he lives in Finland, is generally outdoorsy and likes to hike and (I think) cross-country ski, and participates in the national sport of sauna. Uh... any suggestions?

I'm thinking a bag/pouch that could be used for "carry random things on a light hike / picnic" kind of thing, for example. There are no big stakes here, mostly a mutual appreciation society gift exchange.