Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
That looks super clean. Nicely done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Y'all are great. Please keep this thread alive. At some point I intend to dip my toe into leatherwork and so I've been silently lurking here for ages.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Trabant posted:

Wellll there are also a couple of chips in the blade :suicide: It needs some professional attention, or at least more than I could do on my own.

It's still a complete mystery to me what caused the chips. I've never dropped it, I've always used it on a cutting mat, and exclusively to cut leather. It's by Vergez Blanchard, so it's not like the blade is some pig iron either. I'm baffled and disappointed, but I'd rather have it looked at than spend $$$ on a new one.

Depending on how deep the chips are, you can sharpen them out pretty easily with the right gear. I've eliminated chips in numerous cooking knives with just a coarse and fine whetstone and an angle guide. Chisels are even easier if you have a guide for them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Trabant posted:

I tried capturing it with my phone's lovely, lovely camera. You can see the worst damage at the corners:

I think what I did wrong must have been "pivoting" on the corners of the blade as I tried to cut curves or round corners. The edge must have delicate enough that if I managed to embed it into the cutting mat and then twisted the knife... it just couldn't handle the twist and snapped. I don't think I did that very often, but it just seems like using a skiving knife for non-skiving purposes. A round head knife would be better, so maybe I'll put that on a wishlist instead of messing around like this.

Anyway -- it's a deep enough set of chips that I would think it needs grinding back, maybe around 0.5mm if I had to guess. That's why I'd rather have a professional do it than trying to improvise a guide and using the stones.

The angle involved there complicates things, but if it were rectangular a chisel honing guide would make that pretty trivial to put a new edge on. I'd look up "chisel honing guide" and watch a video on how easy they are to use, then think if there's a way to adapt the idea to that blade geometery.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Trabant posted:

Thread necromancy! Another present for a goon:

It's a field notes cover (pattern from here, slightly modified), Conceria Walpier Buttero veg tan chestnut of about 1.5mm from RMLS, and a fabric lining from Etsy because we're watch dorks.

I screwed up the spacing for the liner so it's kinda visible where the outer and inner leather layers meet. I stitched it really well and burnished the crap out of the edges but still :mad:

This is super clean looking, awesome work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Warbird posted:

Get thee behind me satan

Um, sir, this is the enablement forum?