Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
I've decided to get into leather working as a hobby. I'm a machinist, and I like to make small electronics projects, but I've been looking at getting into more visceral crafting, like woodworking, black smithing, and leather working. However, I'm also in the navy, so I don't have a ton of space for my dream machine shop with woodworking tools, a smithy in the corner, and a motorcycle lift. I've got to make due with what I can fit in an apartment. I'm looking at one of the Tandy beginner kits, probably the cheapest one to see if I like it, but I noticed it doesn't come with stitching supplies. I was wondering if anyone had a lead on a more comprehensive beginners set that isn't $200+. Failing that, can anyone make a list of the absolute minimum tools I can have and still make things like a kindle sleeve, a tobacco pouch, holsters, things like that?

That brings me to my next point, I'd like to make a tobacco pouch. I want the first one to be plain, basically a thin walled, soft black bag with a drawstring closure top, kind of a small, coin purse type bag. If it's going to be carrying tobacco I'll be smoking, how should I finish it? I'd like it to be black, but aside from that, what should I treat the leather with to keep it from getting the oils or whatever on the tobacco inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
Okay, I'm going to Tandy next weekend. It's a 250 mile drive, so I have to wait until I have time to visit my dad to make the trip. I'll be buying some leather there for the pouch. I have another question though: when I'm dyeing leather, do I dye the flesh side as well?

I also got a knife sheath kit from my local hobby lobby to tide me over until I get to tandy, and it's big enough to fit my mora in it, including the small blade guard. I want to wet form it, but should I do that before or after dyeing?

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
So last year I started on the basics of leather working with a half shoulder of 5 ounce veg tan, and so far I've only made a few things. I don't have any pictures, but I've cut, dyed, and stitched some little pouches and such, and cut a cover for a book that never got made. I joined the navy and have been away from it for a while, but I'm going to jump head first back into it soon. I plan on making a medium sized backpack out of leather and a repurposed navy sea bag, which is the exact same thing as an army duffel, so it's pretty much just super heavy fabric. I'm not entirely sure what it's made of, but from what I can find, I think it's nylon. My question is, does anyone here have any experience with stripping the color and redying heavy fabrics? It's a plain green color now, and I think I'd like to dye it a shade of brown. Any ideas?