Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I'm making a wrist phone sleeve, think crappy pipboy. Flesh or grain side to skin and how would you finish it? It'll be multiple layers (veg tan) so I can make it end up either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
That reminds me I had a question on rivet length: how do you determine the length you need? I've read suggestions from "combined leather thickness" all the way up to 1.5x, what does everyone suggest?

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd kind of like to make a leather satchel, sized for carrying a laptop and/or some notebooks. Simple is good, because I am not very skilled at leather work. Can anyone recommend a pattern or even a kit?

While I think his instructions are lacking, dieselpunkro on Etsy has good patterns. I've not made this particular one but this laptop bag shouldn't be too hard.

Also this laced design is free and much simpler to make but will require resizing to become a laptop bag

tinned owl fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 13, 2022

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I don't know about the texture stamps but could you use the natural edge of your hide for the brim?

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone know where to buy a purse made out of actual real, good leather? My wife has been complaining that her purse developed holes (due to flexing of whatever weird fake leather it's made of) after less than a year, and I'd like to get her a better one.

Where are you?

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
That's nice, subtle, I guess it's plain outside?

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Me neither but I've had great success with using 3d printed stamps on wet leather, makes for great logos!

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I upgraded my hole punching to an Arbor press with a chuck in and it's so much better, quicker and quieter than punching by hand. I can punch at night when the kids are in bed or when I'm having a lovely day and not have issues.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
A chuck can hold those but not without scratching them and they won't be ideal. I'd print a suitable collet shaped to the handle personally but that's not a tool everyone has.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Dye? I love how every piece of leather takes it slightly differently, even pieces from the same hide.

love mixing just the right shade

I dump all my leftover dye into a jar and occasionally when colour isn't crucial things get dyed OMNIBROWN

gotta put your mark on them

those goggles are a great way to use up leather scraps. I was never happy with the red bag and I get to make a new one this year

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I drew mine up and 3d printed it in PLA, I can make it any size in an hour or so so if it doesn't last forever it's not a problem.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Looking good. What are you using for the side catch hardware? I'm very tempted by that pattern.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I've made several of his patterns and I'm happy with the stitch holes. I also made his old tool catch pattern and there's 4 layers of 2+mm on that, i want to remake or at least re-dye it as it was an early one and I can do better now.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
It makes a little difference, if you want to really flatten it you need to put in a stitch groove before you stitch.

How will you be finishing the bag? I've never left anything so light.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
One of the first things I made was a hip/belt bag to carry my crap when doing archery, now it lives inside my main back pack but gets handled lots. Neatsfoot oil originally, now layers of goon hand grease. Love the patina on that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Trabant posted:

Next steps:

1) Use it to get some actual ~*patina*~ going.

2) Never build something like this again. My poor, wretched hands.

3) Build something like this again, because you're a dummy who forgets how much it hurt.

Beautifully done!
And the answer is 1 and 3, fill with tools, use tools.

You got me wanting to weigh the explorer backpack I use daily now, I know it's heavy but don't know how much exactly