Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Thanks Pagan for the info in PMs.

Heading to Tandy Leather tomorrow which luckily is only a 15mins drive. Going to pickup some scrap stuff and maybe a few pig hydes to make a wallet or two or maybe a huge mess, I don't know yet. In my minds eye I know what I'll be going for, implementation wise we'll have to wait and see.

For sewing leather wallets, what hand tools do I even need? I don't see myself doing any stamping or shaving as the weight of the leather I'm wanting to go with is rather light. I'll post some post production pics.

I'm just starting out in leather sewing but I've wanted to do it for awhile. I just picked up a Juki 1541 and accidentally got a Brudan Beat IV in the same day, here's a pic of how it is setup currently

Got this prepared in Embird tonight to be stitched out tomorrow, scale is big but it'll eventually come down to 130mm or some such. I'd stitch it out tonight but the embroider sounds like a very large and angry typewriter so for the neighbors sake I'll wait until the waking hours.

I've seen a lot of art over the years and the things the folks are making in this thread is right up there with some of the best. I'm excited to get started.

[edit] 20min drive actually and a 200 dollar bill, I'm altogether quite pleased

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

You're going to have to look at Cowboy sewing machines and the like that can go through thick vegtan leather. Typically they start at 1200 and even used are a grand off Craigslist, there are also some different feet you're going to need that sell at 40-60 a piece.

When I was trying to find the proper sewing machine for what I was doing I hit http://leatherworker.net/forum/ which has some incredibly helpful people, I tried to read all I could before asking a question and made a few friends from that forum in the process, some fantastic folks over there.

I'd also suggest doing some map searches for local industrial sewing suppliers who typically have a small show room of machines you can test out, I was on the fence with a Cowboy and a Juki and ended up going with the Juki for personal reasons. I don't like the bar height sewing setup, again personal preference but I figured that out at a local shop trying out the two different machines. I would have been pissed off discovering I didn't like sitting on my high horse using a Cowboy sewing machine after I already bought it.

The Juki that would sew what you are wanting with vegtan that thick I believe they start at 3500, I went with a 1541s and I'm super happy with my purchase. I ended up spending 200 bucks on feet after 1200 for the new machine.

If you can, don't go new, try and find a resale but also have somebody check it out if you don't know how it is supposed to operate. Worth the 50 bucks and lugging it down to a local shop IMO.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

TheNothingNew posted:

Not 100%, but I'm told Resolene smells. Atom wax smells like nothing much.

Ah, found the video. Guy's slow but it's a nice review of the various finishes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Should you put some sort of finish on a wallet? I never even thought about that.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Zite Rhums posted:

I'm super happy I found this thread. I really want to get into working with leather, all the stuff everyone makes looks so cool. I know this was addressed earlier, but I want to start getting into this, and I don't know what tools I should get. I know I'm a little late to the party. I can get a few things from the OP and I saw some suggestions for other people, but I'm not sure exactly what I'll be wanting to do really so I'd like to dabble a bit in everything (making stuff, dying, polishing, etc.). What sort of tools would I need? The closest Tandy's to me is 300 miles away, but I live in a smaller town with a few saddle shops and used tool stores that I'd like to look into to test the waters with before I spend the real money on quality tools, on top of that my father said he dabbled in it a bit when he was younger so he might have some tools laying around somewhere.

Secondly, besides Tandy, is there any other place to buy cheap scrap leather online? I just want stuff to mess around with until I'm comfortable. As I said we have a few saddle shops around town so I might be able to find some scraps from there, but other than that is there anything I can do to get practice scraps relatively cheap? On a side note involving this my family owns a large amount of cattle, and tend to send a good amount to the slaughter house so we can eat meat that we know where it's been. I'm sure they'd let me take the hide as well. So how would I go about tanning that? I didn't see any sort of thread on that here in DIY. Some of the cattle are Angus, and some are Angus/Corriente mix, with one cow being a full breed Corriente if any of that has anything to do with anything.

You have to know what oz(weight) of leather you need and know roughly how much you're going to need but I buy from ortuleather.com and I have bought two of their bulk packages and quite a few one off hides and I've ordered two of their scrap packages and so far, all of it has been top notch. But I have a basic idea of what I need and what to expect when I've called or made orders online from these guys.

Tandy is nice because you can walk in and select exactly what you need first hand and get the exact piece you are looking for and you pay for that privilege reflected in their prices. Sucks you are 300 miles away and that isn't a viable option.

Pagan's story sounds like a total nightmare and I personally have never had the desire to try and tan my own leather, I'd rather work on my skill finishing something already done professionally or up-cycling leather from a couch or a chair somebody is throwing away. You'd be surprised the leather people trash because one piece is ripped and on a non facing, non sun catching piece of furniture the sq feet of perfect leather you can extract that has faced a wall for ten years. Some proper worked in chemicals, 60mins in the dryer on high to hit 122 F to kill bed bugs just in case, and you've got a brand new top quality piece you can do whatever you want with.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not using thick veg-tan leather, but thinner chrome cured garment and upholstery thickness. I use Barge to glue things together then sew them.
http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm/pid/6351/Barge-All-Purpose-Cement-2-oz-/

For putting small pieces together before sewing or doing an edge I use this leather tape, but it can gum up a needle which just needs some rubbing alcohol to clean it up but this stuff is magical
http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm/pid/8677/Leather-Tape-1-4-x-60-yds/

Linked to the site that I buy it from because it is also the cheapest I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

That's great man, what kind of laser is it?