Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

lambda equals h times c over E, bitches
So I Decided to give leatherworking a shot and went to a local leather warehouse and picked up 4 sq ft of Horween horse leather with the intention of making a macbook air sleeve for myself and my wife. To warm up to that, I decided to make a minimalist wallet and I'm super happy how it turned out!

Stitching is a little irregular, and I decided to use some of the edge for the card/money holder to add a bit of character. All in all, I'm pretty pleased!

Thoughts? Feedback? Tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

Awesome feedback - thanks all. The guy at the warehouse told me not to bother with the grooving tool for my first project - he was keen to get me started making stuff before spending cash on tools, which i really appreciated.

I picked up a stitch marking wheel, an awl, and some very sharp needles (which I've personally tested multiple times) and some waxed thread. He also gave me some double stick tape and a cutting board for free.

I'm working on a sleeve for my macbook air now - I will for sure try to back stitch, or tie knots between the layers when i go to finish it.

Pagan, I agree with the hatred for stitching - I reckon the dremeling the holes combined with some sort of vice would make life way easier.

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

I've got a thin strip of polyboard that I'm using - it tends to help, but i'm having a hard time getting the holes wide enough with it so i end up re-poking them which makes the leather a bit wonky after a while.

I ended up catching the thread a number of times, and it resulted in a few pretty big messups - the idea of a dull needle is great, will give that a shot.

Making v2.0 of the wallet now for a friend and using a saddle stitch - finding it alot easier / less frustrating / more enjoyable. Great tips all around.

Question - when you guys are making patterns how much space will you leave around an object (say, a computer) to accommodate stitching and the bending required to get up and around the object? I eyeballed it with my macbook and it fits, but is SUPER tight. Is there any convention for this?