Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

The thread may not always deliver, but I do!
One should never be hammering an awl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

I've been playing around with leatherworking for several months. All I did was watch some videos on YouTube and got a lot of great advice from the manager at my local Tandy Leather Factory. My techniques may not be perfect, but they get the job done. I primarily make props and costumes and do makeup for cosplayers and other other costumers. That's my business. Here are just a few of the things I've put together:

Nathan Drake Holster (Uncharted 3 version)

Closeup of holster

Closeup of mapcase/ammo pouch

Drake's watchband

Just a quick and dirty pouch for a Jedi costume (threw this together in 2 hours)

And a few of the many many Jedi belts I have made (I know a LOT of Star Wars costumers). The one that's by itself was the very first one I made. It's really rough. I've refined my skills a lot since then.

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Out of curiosity, what thickness of leather did you use for most of those projects?

Thanks!

With the exception of a few small detail pieces, it's all 9oz veg tanned.

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

Pagan posted:

Great work all around. The holster looks very good. Your stitching need a little work, but I only say that because everything else looks so good.

Thank you. I'm still trying to get the hang of stitching. That was my first attempt at it, and I didn't have a stitch groove cut into it; only the holes. I also learned that video game designers don't know poo poo about how costumes and accessories fit onto and move with real human beings. I got that bitch to work though.

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

Looking great. what kind of leather did you use for the softer pouch, and is it just hand stitched inside out and then flipped?

Also, someone just asked me if I could make them the belt and baldric of Angelica Teach from the 4th PotC movie. Do you have any good resources on buying overly large and ornamental buckles and conchos?

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

Pagan posted:

If you know anyone in the cosplay scene, they might be able to help you sculpt something? That's what I'll be doing for the skull buckle for this costume.

I am in the cosplay scene. Was just trying to save myself sculpting time, and her money. Making props/costumes and FX makeup is what I do: https://www.facebook.com/TridCloudwalker :)

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

**double post - I'm a tard**

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

Well, I can't do anything about the age of the machine but I guess I can get some wimpy leather. Just for fun I tried putting a bit of leather through the machine (not threaded, just piercing it with the needle) and it seemed to have no problems. I might get a leather needle and give it a try.

While it may have pierced it, it won't last. The motor just can't handle that much resistance, and you'll burn it out fairly quickly, and/or strip the mechanical bits inside.

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

....and there are numerous gently caress-ups (see if you can spot them all) but overall I'm happy with the result and have some idea on how to improve. Either way it feels pretty great.

Next time, wet the leather before folding the cover to avoid all the cracks and wrinkles. Bend it back and forth a bunch of times while it's damp. Then condition the leather (after dye and everything) with Atom Balm. It'll give it a nice shine, and help keep the leather supple and bendable. Looks fantastic otherwise!

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

This is actually something I was wondering about. Should I just be wetting the fold or the entire piece? How wet should I get it, soaked or just enough as if I were going to tool it?

If I'm going to condition it, would neatsfoot oil work? I've experimented with it before and it seems to darken the leather significantly, although I may have used too much.

e: I should also mention that I cut a V-groove down the middle of the flesh side of the undyed piece in order to help it fold better (more as an experiment than anything). It seems to have helped the fold, but also caused some additional cracking/creasing as you saw in the picture. I'm debating continuing to do that on future covers given the bit of damage it caused, but it did seem to help.

A teeny bit wetter than it would be for tooling (leather should still be dark). You don't need to wet the whole thing; just where the fold is going to be and maybe a half an inch or so beyond it on both sides.

I've never used neatsfoot, so I can't be any help with advice there, but honestly, any liquid you add to the leather is going to darken it a bit, even after it dries.

V-grooves really aren't going to help much, and if the leather ever gets dry enough, it'll crack right down the groove. Soft, conditioned leather will stay flexible for ages. My father has a leather cavalry belt from the Civil War, and it's only just now starting to crack. A little lanolin or saddle soap would fix it right up though (he's gonna get it done by a professional historical artifact preserver though).

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

This is all great information, thanks guys! :) I'll do some testing on scrap pieces with what I have and see what works best.

One final bit: I have acrylic resolene which I had planned to use on any dyed pieces to give them a water-resistant finish. Would the atom wax by itself essentially do the same thing as say, carnauba creme (conditioner) and acrylic resolene (topcoat/finish)? Can I even do them one after the other?

The atom wax is essentially both a conditioner and sealer that you can buff to a high shine. Water will bead up on it....to an extent.If you're in a decent rain or get hit with a water balloon or something, the leather is still going to get damp...but it's protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mailman
Apr 13, 2005

pageerror404 posted:

I have a fairly simple question. What is an effective way to clean something made of both leather and cloth. My fiancé found a leather purse at goodwill that's generally thrift store gross. She's worried that anything she would use to clean the fabric parts would damage the leather. Any suggestions?

Dry cleaning.