Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Yup! I think I've said it about every hobby I've tried, but: there really is nothing like attempting these things yourself and then realizing "Oh wow, that *insert handmade good* actually isn't obscenely overpriced."

I'm saying this to myself as I'm like 20hrs into a bag and just realized I'm a quarter of the way through stitching the body.

I didnt even know this thread existed. I just started leather working like 2 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Double post don't care

It's technically a bag now, I guess. Also wish I had straightened the buckles before the picture but oh well. Now all that's left is detail and strap work, which should be doable over 2 or 3 days after work.

Did make a massive but thankfully correctable mistake.. As I was getting ready to glue up the back panel, I realized I had stitched the entire front panel/bag side incorrectly.

This was how I stitched it. Once I started the back panel I realized the flesh side should have been facing out for the side panel, so I had to cut all my stitching and pull the glue apart. Thankfully it was the sticky tape, not cement, and it's 99% concealed anyway.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Thanks Trabant. Honestly the stitching wasn't terrible, I built a sketchy af pony and did most of it sitting on the couch watching star trek with my wife after dinner, just doing whatever I could in an hour or so before bed.

I already have plans to do another one, and next week is going to be brutal because I procrastinated on ordering leather because I couldn't decide what I wanted and in my head I've mentally promised to have 3 long wallets done by mothers day.

Anyway, current status: almost done. All that's left is top strap, and sewing the...I don't even know what to call them, medallions? Whatever holds the d rings on the sides for the strap attachment.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's a 3/4oz chrome/oil tan. It's very floppy, and cuts and sews like butter. At some points I was sewing through 4 layers and it took a slightly stronger tug.

Way, way easier than veg tan.

If you're US based, pick up one of the $20 or $30 dollar oil tan sides from Springfield and give it a shot. I still prefer the look and feel of veg tan, but this is a practice run for making stuff for my wife and she prefers the look and feel of chrome tan.

Or at least she does until I start spending the money to get some nice buttero and bridle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Huh, I legit expected that the floppiness would've made it more of a struggle to get it to cooperate. Good to know!

Double sided tape (I'm using one from tandy but there's all kinds) and for the long curving sections generous use of binder clips and the patience of a monk.

My chisels aren't great even after polishing them, so veg tan over about 2oz and especially doubled or tripled 3oz for say a wallet means every stitch I'm using pliers to pull through. The only time I had an issue was sewing the top flap to the main bag, because it wasn't glued and wanted to keep moving. It ended up in a lot of hunting to not end up skipping a stitch, and a lot of pierced thread knots from my cheap rear end thread.

I have some different thread and a somewhat nicer set of chisels coming with my current leather order, so hoping that'll improve things. If it ever loving ships...

Edit: ordered one each of the 20 and 30 dollar oil tan sides, a saffiano bundle (30sqft of 5 leathers), a black oil tan side, the stuff stated above, plus some tokonole to try it. Also ordered an edge dye from Rocky Mountain to try that out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 30, 2021

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rotten Cookies posted:

That looks real nice. I love the color of the stitching.

But I gotta ask about the timing and any possible regrets of getting that 'Bring Back the Plague 2020' sticker

Thanks. It's sadly two colors, I started with that burgundy then didn't have enough for all that was left. So everything on the bag body is burgundy and the strap handle and shoulder slider are brighter red.

As for bring back the plague, https://youtu.be/lXGSLKWeVwE

Ex-Cyberpsycho Guy posted:

i really would like for you to change that avatar to anything else in the world if possible and will even give you money to do so

I've had this for like a decade and honestly never even think about it because I'm on the app 99% of the time :v:

The silver pieces are just double cap rivets, they're just a post and a cap and they hammer together. They're not super load bearing worthy, and honestly I'll probably use Chicago screws on my next one. It almost sounds like you're describing snaps, which I haven't messed with yet.

As for sewing, this was all just done with diamond chisels and then hand sewn with harness needles using a saddle stitch or at least my attempt at one. The thread is just a .8mm waxed poly. I can't imagine trying to use sinew, especially with knots like that.

Reflective...not sure honestly. Not much is going to hold up with the bending and flexing of jacket leather and not flake or peel, especially on chrome tan. I always just wore a safety vest over my jackets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Note: buy quality rivets, or just use Chicago screws. Jfc. Half of those cheap rear end rivets snapped after like a day, so now I get to redo a bunch of things.

Oh well, live and learn.

On the bright side I don't have to worry about cramming a bunch of work into this week because SLC apparently needs 7+ days to pull and ship orders, despite saying this...nowhere on the site.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is it cheating to use trauma shears on leather? I find myself really chewing up the cuts with a head knife (admittedly I have a super cheap one) or xacto and want to know if I'll be screwing myself further down the line

For doing what? Just cutting straight lines, or?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

It's just a hobby, I scream, as my wife pummels me to death with half of a cow.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

lol

But I'm also envious as hell

Come to the hellworld known as FL and gently caress up some animal skins with me

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've never seen printed (painted?) leather before that's incredible

Even better, it's suede! The back side is deliciously fuzzy.

It's going to be used as the interior liner for a wallet for my wife. I'm sure the paint will wear off eventually but it'll be pretty until it does. I wanted to buy a bunch and use it as like a liner for the top flap of a bag but it isn't cheap, and having never used it I figured I'd actually start small and try it before going whole hog.

Which is a first for me in this hobby.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/shop-now/leather/chrome-tan/suede

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Suede-Water-Color-Love-Heart-Paisley I really want some of this

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Ha! Not that it was in the cards, but my wife is from Jacksonville and has expressly forbidden any notion of us moving to FL.

As good as your final product looks, I don't think you could pay me to stitch with just an awl. It's exhausting to even think about :sweatdrop:

Yeah I'm only here because my wife wanted to move back (I'm not from here) but it isn't all bad.

So, got all that leather and finally figured out what I wanted to do for a bag for my wife with the $50 oil tan. Start working and found its actually an SB Foot side, so....score?

Cut one side piece and my pattern is a little manky so I laid the cut piece down to use it as a mirror.

Somehow through sheer luck the width here is the exact same as the cut piece, so I have to make literally two length cuts. Im going to pretend it was on purpose because I'm awesome and know what I'm doing.

Why and how is this hobby so goddamn addictive

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ex-Cyberpsycho Guy posted:

You get to live there? gently caress yourself. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, I tried about every combination of the locks. I feel like maybe Tandy leather just didn't inform me of a missing piece which would've been nice before I AWLED a huge loving hole in my leather jacket in order to put the parts on. The pieces simplly don't click together correctly, and I can't find anyway to make them do so. I tried getting them on the phone but describing very particular leather part pieces is pretty hard to do.

Nah that was on vacation last week, but poo poo like that is less than an hour away.

Pictures would help, seems like that's just a riveted concho

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

poo poo lighting and shows the shame of the destroyed cat tree, but finally finished that goddamn bag.

WIP Kindle case

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Hot drat! You should be tremendously proud of that bag, it looks fantastic.

Thank you! I'm happy with it, but its not my favorite. My wife wanted just black, with gold hardware. To me it's so boring. It was also my first foray into edge dye/paint, I'm not sure if it came out right but it looks decent and the roller tool from RML made it so drat easy along with the weird Italian paint. But again all I see is every single flaw, and I know every piece I hosed up lol

She's happy, that's all that matters. I'm also now this far into that case and realizing I should have sewn the interior hold downs before glue up, but alas.

Edit: wife took non potato photo

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 31, 2021

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

I genuinely think black + gold looks better than black + nickel would, for example. And like you said, if the customer is happy that's all that matters :)

Is this the roller you mentioned?

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/edge-paint-roller?variant=12411551939

I always wondered whether that's actually useful or a gimmick, so it's good to hear there's something to it. I'll see YouTube leatherworkers use an awl with good results, while my attempts were garbage :negative:

Yep, thats it. It doesn't give that nice rounded edge look, at least from my experience, but it looks better than anything else I could do to the edge. I have wrist issues that cause hand shaking, so awls and that are right out for doing edge paint sadly.

Thanks for all the kind words, very much appreciated. The black/gold looks good, I just personally prefer contrast stitching and edge colors.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jaxyon posted:

Great bag!

My long term goal with leatherwork is to to make a Birkin knockoff for my partner.

Thanks!

Honestly those seem to go from easy as, to gently caress that, as far as design and work.

Help I'm watching tooling videos and now thinking of trying nooooooo

All cause I'm making some goddamn Halloween stuff...design is super simple and now I'm making it harder because I want to distress it (never even dyed a piece) and now thinking of tooling...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
gently caress it.

I'd say I will single handedly keep this thread going, but my right arm now feels like it did when I was 13 so no promises on any hands being available.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Almost done with the first one.

I will keep this thread alive by drat self if I must

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah please keep posting. I've been keeping my eye out for projects but I haven't needed to make anything recently and I'm strictly against myself making things like wallets/belts where a better version exists relatively affordably.

I got into this purely to make a belt and a wallet lol

Just make stuff. It's fun. Who cares if you need it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

I'd have zero hobbies following that!

Truth.

Car stuff, electronic stuff, leather stuff...I'm sure I could buy same or similar for the same or not much more but its not the same.

I found the bag design I want for my "forever" bag, and the leather I want to use will cost me about 250, plus hardware. Or I could buy a finished version for around 320.

I'm planning on making it after the new year as a birthday gift to myself.

Also going to build a similar one for my buddy, as I'm going to be his best man and the wedding is around my birthday.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

My dyes, goatskin and my first full side came in, very excited. I dyed up some swatches for reference and I have questions.

I got fieblings alcohol based dyes, what do people use to thin these? What do you prefer to paint them on with?

I'm trying to understand my order of operations as I've never used dyes before, just oiled the finished project. Is it:

Cut to size/shape, pierce for stitching, dye, stitch, edge finishing?

Is it the Fiebings pro dye? If so, denatured alcohol. I used wool daubers, but tbh I dip dyed almost all my pieces. Much more even, and less finicky. I did it after I had sanded my edges and punched stitching holes. But my only experiences with it I wasn't fussed with edge finishing so not sure honestly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fieblings standard, not Pro. Googling says that'll still work. If you use wool daubers do they stay with the bottle of dye and get reused or do you treat them as disposable?
When you dip the dye is diluted right? How do you store/dispense the dyes, do you have big sealed trays or pour it into trays then pour back into bottles?

And finally does dip dying interfere with wet moulding? E.g. will you lose the shape you've given it at all?

Disposable. They cake up.

Depends on color. Black, I found I could dilute pretty heavy and still be black. Browns and others just depends on shade.

I initially bought small bottles of dye, so I was putting them in disposable containers and then back into the bottle. Then I bought big bottles and now it sits in Mason jars. I have a few that are color mixes I liked, so I made larger batches. Pickle jars and such are perfect. Anything air tight. (Ask) me about dumping a quart of die into a jar only to find out there was a pinhole in the lid....

Wet moulding I have no idea, the only things I've ever wet moulded are lighter sheaths and those barely even got some neatsfoot.

Edit: that was the first thing I ever made lol

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 25, 2021

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
How long did you let it dry? Also, this is goat not cow correct?

Done some searching and found people doing both ways so, who knows.

I've dipped my projects because I need the flesh side to be the same color, and fuuuuuck if I'm waiting 2 days to dye 1 piece.

Juuuuuuuuuust enough.

Forbidden flesh donut

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hat.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God yall don't do enough

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Are you using a paper pattern?

If so, use some masking tape you can see through and wax the tape. Holy poo poo does that make it go quicker

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Belts and suspenders are the one time I don't judge people for machine stitching. I mean it's the same overall as, say, a bag but it feels so much worse.

Edit: I'm about halfway through a new bag, and also stitched up another couple keychains last night. First one I somehow hosed up and it looks like the world's goofiest lucha mask, and the second (so 3rd I've made total) I magically figured out what I'd been doing wrong on all of them but then it was too late to finish.

My shoulders are protesting. I've punched probably 1k stitching holes in the past 3 days and regret everything.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 10, 2021

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Hm, that's a good point. The flesh side in my projects was only for interiors of pouches and such. I haven't tried it with gum trag, but for what it's worth the tokonole-burnished surface ends up downright glassy. Still, I don't know how it would hold up to getting moisture on it. One would hope the moisture + friction would actually keep burnishing the piece, but that's purely a guess/hope for dumb luck.

Goondolences and/or lmao.

Tokonole and atom wax combo is somewhat moisture resistant, as is resolene I think. But no idea how they'd hold up to sweat.

And yeah, it sucked. Almost done punching all of it. Naturally it's all done one by one with a 1mm punch.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Mostly finished krampus mask. Somehow forgot to get another buckle, and all I have are 1.5" belt buckles, so unfinished it sits for a bit. Not like I'm going to wear it, but still annoying.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

And why the hell not? It's amazing! Go scare some children around the neighbourhood.

WIP:

I live in FL, that gets me shot lol

And very nice. I've still yet to make anything with a gusset

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Thank you! :)

I don't know if I'm getting better, but I'm definitely making fewer basic mistakes and feeling more confident. I probably could get a lot better if I made stuff more frequently than 6 months apart :thunk:

God drat I feel this.

Got burnt out but got back into it. Guy at a shop I frequent pulled his wallet out a couple weeks ago and it was literally falling apart. He's a good guy, just had some rough times the past few years and always happy to help anyone who needs it. He's also a massive star wars nerd. I happened across some patterns and thought...eh, gently caress it.

Ignore the speckles on the black parts, it was sitting on the bench while I was sanding/cutting/punching other leather and it got dusty.

I wasn't entirely happy with it and I'm still not, but gave up and gave it a final polish with atom wax and gave it to him. He was absolutely overjoyed, and felt good to have someone appreciate something I made like that.

So now I'm also making a cthulu mask.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah just plain black for the shell.

I still haven't got the nerve to start trying stamping and tooling.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Sup barely occasional leatherwork buddy! That's a cool wallet and kind thing to do, good on ya :)

Next up is a first for me, in the next couple of weeks: making a tool bag per Dieselpunk.ro's pattern:

Trying new-to-me things along the way, including using 1.5mm round stitch holes instead of diamond, saddle-stitch ones I've been using so far. The leather is 6-7oz and there's plenty of stitching to do, figured I'd save myself a bit of pain on the first attempt.

Thank you. And I love that Yugo Keychain.

I've done a lot of his patterns, as well as leatherhub and creative awl, and I stand by these punches

Just have to pick out the correct spacing. I think most of his are 6mm spacing, at least that's the set I have.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Hey, exactly the one I ordered! And yes, I went with 6mm. Amazon said they'd deliver on the 18th and then changed it to today. Let's just check in on that:

Ah :negative:

Sounds about right. I ordered something for this mask, was supposed to be Friday, said out for delivery, nope. Saturday, same. Finally delivered Sunday night. Hopefully it comes in!

Progress. Slow but steady.

Lots of mistakes and issues but honestly I plan on making at least 1 more.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh wtf. It wasn't in a padded box? Can't remove the set screw and just yank it put and put the punch tip in? That seriously sucks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah something definitely happened then. Once the set screw is even loose they normally just fall out.

All I have left on this thing now is the eyes and tentacles.

The tentacles are going to make me go insane. The second half of stitching each one is almost entirely passing needles into holes inside a tiny rear end opening in the leather. On the brightside after not doing this for a long time my calluses have already started to come back lol

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Double post don't care.

added the suckers to the tentacle backs

Sewed one together just to make sure I actually could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah that gif is 100% correct. My wife sat and watched me doing the 2nd half of that one and finally just "and you do this to yourself....why, again?"

Tbh it's not really that bad. Just time consuming.