Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wazzup, leather thread!

I have a leather Torpedo Bag strap that's missing a couple of belt holes, but has marks on both sides where the holes were supposed to be punched. What's the best tool for making the holes myself? Would a drill on a low setting work, or should I use a pointed hand tool like a small knife point? Maybe expand the marks a bit on both sides with a knife and then finish with a drill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would it be easier or cheaper for me to just take the strap to a leatherwork shop and have a pro punch the holes instead?

I can't imagine they'd charge much for two measly holes. Heck they might do it for free.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Warbird posted:

How many leatherworking shops do you know?

I live in Texas. There's a few people and places near me that work with leather goods.

I don't know if it matters but I'm only planning to use these holes to put Torpedo's little decorative conchos in. I don't necessarily need the holes themselves to look good since they'll be covered up by the conchos; I just need them to be centered in the right spots.

If possible I'd kinda like to punch a few extra holes equal spaces apart so I can add more conchos, and I think that'd be best done by a leatherworker or someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing better than me.

Javid posted:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/punches/20416

most hardware stores have some version of this, which is good enough

This might work. Does it need to be a plier-type punch, or would something like a regular center punch work?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

HolHorsejob posted:

Whatever tool you use, if you don't cut a clean, correctly sized hole, you're going to either cut the hole uneven/too large and the hardware won't sit right or spin in place, or you'll cut something that's more like a rip, and when you shove something through it, the leather will buckle and won't sit flat.

Do it however you're going to do it, but this sounds like one of those case where you can drive a bunch to spend $20 and have a shop do it for you, $10 for a tool off amazon that you'll use once, or $0 to use a tool you already have that will look like poo poo in the end.

Oiiiiiiiii... I think I'd be better off just taking the strap to a shop and get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me. I might be able to at least measure out and mark some spots for additional holes, but even that feels a little scary to me.

Ideally I could just send the strap back to Torpedo and have them make the holes, but in my experience they're pretty poo poo at replying to emails so I doubt I'd even hear back from them on a simple request.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright, I made six holes spaced about 3 inches apart.

Front

Back

... I mean, I think it looks alright for a first try. :shrug:

You can still see remnants from some of the pencil marks I made on the bottom, but other than that I don't think it turned out awful.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now I just need to figure out what conchos to put on it.

:lol: loving Torpedo sells the same exact conchos you can buy at Michael's for more than double the price. Same brand name and everything. And they only have like 3 or 4 choices to pick from. I guess Torpedo assumes people don't know how to google "conchos".

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

fuckin thirty-six united states fuckbux

for 5 of these