Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I got a similar piece free as scrap from a place selling granite countertops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Google Butt posted:

I made a pony.

My first leatherwork area can also be seen :D

This inspired me to finish the stitching pony I've had half-done for a few months now.

Astute observers will notice that I am a terrible woodworker. I hope I can learn to be a better leatherworker than that with some practice.

I varnished the hell out of it because I am afeared of splinters in my thighs.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This seems like a place that would be able to tell me.

My wife and I do renaissance faires, and we have a couple go-to costumes that include pirate-style hats. They're getting a little worn and dirty, so we'd like to clean, condition, and waterproof them so they last a while longer.

They're both leather but different sorts. Mine is rough textured, not like suede but it's stiff so I think it's veg-tan, with a ribbon-like cloth trim on the brim and folded tricorn-style. The other is also stiff but smooth on one side, more of a cavalier hat look. They're both dyed black and we'd like to keep the coloration.

What's the cleaners and techniques we should use to restore and protect them?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm sure you'll get some good responses (and if you don't mind work from someone who's not much past beginner level themselves I'd be willing to make it for you if nobody else does) but since everyone loves proselytizing their hobby I just have to ask: ever thought of making it yourself?

That would be a perfect beginner project if you've ever been curious about leatherworking yourself. You could probably do it with a minimum of new tools and kit especially if you are willing to spend a little extra time punching stitch holes with a simple awl you might already have. And it'll be that much more awesome to you, if it's something you made with your own hands and skill.

Here's a video of someone making something similar - note how the pattern is used to make a long rectangle and a circle into an open-ended cylinder? That could be resized to however large you want it and are willing to pay for the leather, but it shouldn't be that much. I'd find a chrome-tan in a thickness you feel like you could work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1y-xJdk7nI

They're using the "proper" tools but you could get by with a much simpler kit if you were willing to take more time.

Another video of the same basic idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJsFdUOaeSA

If you have a Tandy Leather near you, they could offer advice and maybe even suggest a project class or kit.

Here's another approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZY8EvcDAk
(You don't have to do any carving and tooling if you don't want to. I generally don't.)

Plus a bonus video from that same channel on doing leatherwork without all the specialty tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8IzymwT8M

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Warbird posted:

Oh gently caress me. I didn't mention it earlier but my neighbor runs a leather good shop (though I believe a lot of it is outsourced) and I ran the bag thing by him. He shot me down due to them not doing custom work but did offer to let me have some of his scraps. So.....

My wife is not amused about any of this.

This version would be even simpler, if it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-gsiX3JaFI

But yeah if you want to PM me we can chat about details, if you'd like.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I. M. Gei posted:

I live in Texas. There's a few people and places near me that work with leather goods.

I don't know if it matters but I'm only planning to use these holes to put Torpedo's little decorative conchos in. I don't necessarily need the holes themselves to look good since they'll be covered up by the conchos; I just need them to be centered in the right spots.

If possible I'd kinda like to punch a few extra holes equal spaces apart so I can add more conchos, and I think that'd be best done by a leatherworker or someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing better than me.

This might work. Does it need to be a plier-type punch, or would something like a regular center punch work?

Your typical center-punch tool just uses brute force to put a dent in the material, and if enough force is used it will force its way through the material to create a hole.

Leather isn't going to react well to that kind of treatment due to the way it's made up of a mass of fibrous, somewhat elastic tissue - you know, skin. It will stretch and rip around the punch and want to close up again (useful for poking needle holes for sewing but not for your purposes).

That rotary punch tool (and other types of leather hole punch making gadgets) are basically cutting a circular hole, in the same way that a paper hole punch does. Remember the three-hole punch you used in school for putting worksheets in a binder? It's actually more like a stamp that cuts the shape (in this case a circle) out of the material. This creates crisp edges that will hold their shape and look much better. It's also way easier than a brute-force punch through because you don't need to work the hole out to the size you want - it's just done right there.