Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I need to stop checking in on p99 related things every few months.. that interest in playing again always returns. I've got a blue monk in the 50s, and a red cleric in the 50s. The server is pretty great to play on, if you are on the fence give it a shot. The drama and personalities are quite a shitshow, but that toxic attitude pretty much lives on the p99 forums. I've run into a lot of real good people on both servers. Most the people who ganked my lowbie groups on Red ended up being some of my most reliable groupmates to pvp with. If you are going to start on red, make friends and expect to be poo poo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'm on Red as Naeyi, 50 cleric. I'm mostly inactive these days, but I can't say I won't log in every so often. Mostly just to be a rezbot and buff lowbies. Haven't decided where to park myself yet, due to the xp bonus it's easy for groups to very quickly outlevel zones in a session or two.. If you are new to red, where are you leveling? I'll move myself over there when available and do some soft-pl as best a cleric can.

I might get into playing again unexpectedly.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Groups are generally always around on Red. Odd hours with 50-70 people on server, yeah it's going to be a little tough, but the exp bonus with a full group just outweighs any hesitation to not invite someone. Hell, even joining a group and just going AFK is benefiting the group more than having that slot open.

On that note, I logged in my cleric today to buff some newbies and rez people. Accidentally got myself in a BW swarm kiting group after doing a few rezzes for them. AFK'd while I finished up some stuff for work, came back and I'm now over half way through 51. Almost to Heroism :toot:

last edit: i'm logging in right now, around Gfay area if anyone is xping in unrest / MM / CB send a tell to Naeyi and i'll come to you.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 17, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Add me to the list, Naeyi 51 cleric. I'm currently bound at MM ent, and will run between CB / Unrest / MM for buffs or rez as needed. Will also heal your tank if I'm able to be more active than just idle afk.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I Love You! posted:

You can potentially do real well for yourself if you can get a group for Kurn's and just roll through that easy-rear end content picking up better loot than you'd get in CB or anywhere classic. I'd see how well you can group up with nearby lizards and roll through your 1-20s real goddamn fast.

Kunark groups are generally always a thing. I've got a 17 Iksar SK I could group with once you get more caught up.

Also I forgot I had access to my friends lowbie wizard. I can do basic ports, to Gfay, Tox, or NK.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

There is a lowbie group going in crushbone right now, I just convinced a rl friend to also re-roll so now would be a good time to make those new characters on Red. *edit* RL came up, i'm logging myself off. Will check in every so often to refresh buffs if anyone is still around.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 18, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Hoppy Goodness posted:

In as Minamata, now level 8 Gnome Necromancer. I rudely learned that the guards do not like it when you PVP around them, thankfully I was only level 3 so I didn't lose exp. Guy attacked me while I was fighting two kobolds, let the guard kill them and then came back to find him, he ran to the guard which is where I learned my lesson. Then we grouped for two hours and that exp bonus is outrageous.

Guards will assist the person with highest faction towards them. If faction is equal, they will attack the aggressor.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I Love You! posted:

Honestly the threat of these idiots still can spice things up quite a bit. And now that people group a lot, a single twink badass ins't necessarily the death of your ability to level, since there might actually be enough people to fight them off.

Once we actually have some resist/hp gear and are a bit higher level, it's no longer a matter of twinks. And with the XP bonus you don't have to sit at lvl 16 forever while a deleveled rogue punches you in the face over and over, forever.

I've definitely already killed half a dozen people strictly because they tried to take a spawn I wanted or were hanging around eyeing my group a little too closely.

To add on this, Red is superior (in my opinion) to blue due to the reduced population, which opens more xp / item camps. It's also far easier to get a group going and break into a camp with global /o. There are no waiting lists, or camp checks. A group can't hold down a spawn for 12+ hours rotating members out as easily. If you get to a spot and there is someone camping it already you can pvp them for it. If you win, it's your camp. I've had some great nights of contesting spawns, really livens things up and you make some great friends out of random people in the process.

Once you get past Unrest and Mistmoore the retarded twinks start dying off. With that said, be wary of anyone in <Knights Templar> they like to patrol MM, and when I played that always included an OOR (out of range pvp) healer.

For the most part, a group of newbies (even poo poo geared) can force out a twink. Sure, most your group will die, probably more than once. If you are being camped or harassed by a twink, ask in /o if anyone can come help out. Majority of the server trashes on the twinks specifically ganking newbies because frankly, if people are going to ragequit and never return, it happens in the low 20s when they are maybe not even wearing banded being killed by an epic rogue. Past that it's far more difficult for a solo ganker to clean up.

Also this should go without saying, but most of the people who pk harvest tears. Don't give them tears and you won't become a target they hunt repeatedly. That and don't ever carry coin.

*edit* i'm going to be logging in to do a round of buffing if anyone is playing.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 18, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

hayden. posted:

Does all item selling have to happen at a bank? What stops you from buying something then killing the guy and getting your coin back?

Nothing stopping you from doing so, but yes generally trading does happen near a bank. Most dedicated traders have port alts for meeting up wherever the sale is taking place. People also use gems to trade in the open, or have bank alts. Freeport seems to be the major hub.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tonight we had a CB group running while I out of group healed. Some 50 pally showed up and camped me while I (literally didn't give any shits) stood there. In came three pals who previously in the day had pk'd me to clean him out.

The pally was bound in freeport, and cried in /o for a good 30 minutes before camping. long live red.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

WarauInu posted:

Some random lizard handed me some plat for spells in ogguk, but Yeah I'll look into hitting CB. Where can I have someone bind me there that I won't have to use invis to get through on deaths? I seem to recall you can only bind others in cities, and I think I don't get mine till what 19?

Gfay is a general bind zone thanks to Kelethin, so you can be bound I believe anywhere. I can hook you up with that and some buffs later today. Regarding spells, being a shaman you'll have fun being far away from the vendor! We'll get that sorted out as necessary.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Indigo Brotherhood is the DE warrior guild. A few google searches seems to say it only matters for the warrior guild, and MAYBE a guard or two but not the city entrance guards. Most city guards are under The Dead faction, which is the Necro / SK guild also.

I can't say for certain, but yeah an Ogre Shaman really doesn't need Neriak, and should be okay with banking still.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

if only p99 had chatrooms working :negative:

shits not classic, etc etc.

edit: currently a group of newbies in gfay, /t hunglo or tandayan or zygon (i think thats their names) i'll be back to refresh buffs in a little while

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 20, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The Islamic state of Norrath is a pretty annoying gimmick so far. All they have done is camp Kelethin lifts, crushbone, and druid rings. They're also all in the teen or lower levels, so they are consistently making GBS threads on newbies.

I've still got quite a few pieces of small bronze, also I'm starting to get a lot of Jagged Bands (thanks unrest) so let me know if you need either of those things. If you are xping in gfay / cb / unrest / mm, let me know if you need buffs or a rez. If i'm not doing anything, I'll sit around and heal your group.

I'm playing my bard more often, Yevea. Currently up to 36.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cRFL_uZVtwM2J8_b368_Q6yfbSMNd0OWzkAT8E-Mj4/edit#gid=0

Not sure who posted this, but we need the ability to edit it or submit entries, neither of my characters are on it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ahhh yes, tried and true. Added myself.

I managed to get stuck in an invisible box above a roof in east freeport. Naturally my response is to log in my friend's druid and get him stuck also.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I Love You! posted:

Just a newsflash made a newbie bard to PL up Seba in Gfay. Any other newbie elfs hop on now if you want to hit lvl 5-10 real fast or whatever

I can generally help with ports if non-elves / gnomes / dwarfs want in on this. /t naeyi or yevea (depends on what camp i'm farming at that moment) and i'll log in a friend's wiz or druid depending on where you are. Please don't create in Qeynos, actually i'll make it easy: If you create in Qeynos, you're running to NK for a pickup.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

As of now we don't have any druids in PL ranges to make that part easy. I haven't done a CB pl on my cleric in awhile, it sounds like we have a lot of new people starting so I should do that.

Oh yeah, and I just bought Heroic Bond today. I can now gives newbies a +360 HP buff and nice AC boost also. That'll deter most twinks long enough to chip their health away enough.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 28, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Doubleposting (never not post) but if anyone has not yet done so, bookmark http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page and use it for literally everything.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

PL session happening in Oasis currently, low-mid teens

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 31, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

PL session happening in Oasis currently, low-mid teens

I think we took people from 7-9 to 18-20. There will be more of these as demand calls, and when I get my singing steel bracer shits gonna be insane.

*edit* got my SS bracers. gently caress yeah, 3 stacking DSs

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 1, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I eat baby skin posted:

I'll join in on this fun on Red as Nameless the Dark Elf Wizard whenever someone is around that can invite. I will be in the EC/Nektulos area for the next few days probably, at least tonight/tomorrow.

i found your bard friend, it took 3 levels of PLing before we found out he was your friend and a goon. log in and get your tag!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

In that case, have there been any quality of life adjustments compared to Velious era Everquest? The one thing that's really holding me back is the "set up camp for hours, get one 1/5th of a level after several hours, die, loose it all" stuff that happened back in the days of vanilla. I don't exactly have the free time I had back in 2002 to spend days to gain one level.

The XP mod Red has works very well to eliminate a lot of what you listed. Offhand, it's +50% all times, and +40% per group member. It is literally more effective for you to solo with 5 afk people in your group. A well put together group can out level their camp in a couple hours. If you hop on for only an hour or two a day you'll certainly feel the XP made was worthwhile.

The Devs' vision is to make this as classic as humanly possible, with the exception of the XP mod above (on red), and no item loot. You can be coined only, so don't travel with coin on your character and bank often.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Currently my rl friend Kean is our only of-level porter.. His wizard alt is the second (untagged atm) but yes, there has been an influx of wiz / druids being made.

I'm going to try doing a PL session every other day or so. I think I'm the current highest level at 45, so I'm going to sit here for awhile and farm some stuff / PL everyone. Today's morning CB group took Nameless from 4-10, attracted two PKs, and then showed the 60 enchanter Citizenn needs to die. Also his alt, Overdue a twinked 13 Rogue. I need to get my 17 SK some twink gear.

everquest.txt
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:06 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: bad mistkae (I invited Perf to give him see invis)
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:07 2014] Perf pierces Overdue for 3 points of damage.
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:19 2014] Overdue shouts, 'lol ur on the side of the worse pker'
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:20 2014] Yevea -> Overdue: i'm tickled, don't worry
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:53 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: why do that
[Mon Sep 01 15:59:06 2014] [PvP] Overdue <> has been defeated by Perf <The LIttle Ones> in Crushbone!
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:08 2014] Yevea -> Overdue: cause you killed my newbies :(
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:16 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: He killed them, and i protected them
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:21 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: powerlvel is over now
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:50 2014] Yevea -> Overdue: actually you were in zone pking them first, but you're right it is that was the last pull !

[Mon Sep 01 16:02:09 2014] Citizenn shouts, 'taking throne room as no one here' (his main, very much out of pvp range for me)

classy as gently caress!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Republicans posted:

Would a couple Knuckle Dusters (14/28) be significantly better than a Wu's Quivering Staff (23/28)? I have one now and can almost afford another. I mainly want to switch because the staff is so drat heavy and it would free up some precious weight for armor upgrades.

Two knuckle dusters would likely not be worth it, slow delay for a MH. If DW, you want a Wu's Trance Stick + KD combo. However, considering this is a pvp server 2hb is vastly more important for you due to jousting. For strictly PVE, using a 2hb won't be the best dps until you are able to hold a steady 46% haste (FBSS & ROTWF) and you are better off just dw. That math was done with Peacebringer, 28/30. Quivering is 23/28 so you may not ever hit that optimal point for pve dps with one. Also I did my testing at 50, so my double attack was pretty high. Again though, 2hb > dw for pvp. You're gonna need to joust, no one is going to stand still for you to get 8 rounds of combat in while they hit you one or two times.

Short answer:
Wu's Trance stick + Knuckle Duster for PVE
Wu's Quivering -> Peacebringer PVP

Any monk should get a Quivering staff as their first buy. A couple of us are ready to XP in CoM, so this may be a more viable thing for us to provide eventually.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Oh well then get a jade mace / KD combo and never look back.

For blue:
Wu's trance -> Jade Mace -> Adamantite club (45+ only, even then it's debatable) -> epic fist
Knuckle Duster -> Stave of Shielding

Pick up a 2hb when you start raiding and need to avoid bad damage shielded mobs.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Siets posted:

Could you pick up a Wu's Quivering Staff for me and I'll pay you guys a fair price for it? I am starting to hate dealing with the trading community on this server. They always want me to say my price first, and then everything seems to magically cost "1k plat or more cuz I have to run to you." Bunch of lazy shits everywhere I tell you what. :argh:

First one that drops and is won by one of us is yours (unless of course there is a SLAMDUNKATRON monk with us) what is your characters name?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'd love to see your parsed logs to back that up, since it's definitely not the case if you've ever leveled a monk. You can't solo nearly as well with a 2hb as you can with dw 1hb. Not to mention ignoring 1hb until 45 will give you the shittiest weapon / dual wield skill grind, and effectively make you a useless DPS for a level or two.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Karjia posted:

It's all parsed on the P1999 forums. They made a huge sperg-sheet about it.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110823

and I got my 1hb skill up really quickly with minimal work (like an hour tops). It's not a huge grind at all and definitely not a level or two, for record I have an almost 52 monk as my main.

:psyduck: oh god the math. My tl;dr reading of that shows that common knowledge supports what you said. It's confusing to me as while leveling that was exactly opposite my experience, I'd go from not being able to solo a mob and needing to FD it off with 2hb, to ending it without any issues dw. I don't want to read into this further, looks like 2hb / 1hbdw is more balanced than I thought!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

:toot: :toot:
That epic is loving fantastic.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cool Blue Reason posted:

How long? I made a barb shaman and I wan't to transfer some stuff/get an invite.

I'm still in Qeynos area on Yevea, just finished farming two pieces for my lambent, and i'm going to give Hadden another spawn attempt. I'll be here at least until i see hadden, which means anywhere from another 1-3 hours. I may not be logged in, but ask someone with a tag if they can find me. Alternatively, i can run to everfrost to tag you in like, 5 minutes.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 3, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I would also like to put it out there that I'm looking for SHM donations since I spent all my money on Wizard stuff.

My spawn just happened, another fishing pole. Whats your barbs name? I'll stick around for a bit longer but will be on Naeyi.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

T-Bone posted:

Ginette and I are about to hit 10 on our lowly ogres. Where's a good place to go for a two man around that level? We were thinking Befallen but the god damned dry bones skeleton for the paw of opolla quest was up and he paths to the zone entrance :mad:

Upperguk has a lot of twink pks...maybe the undead in Nek? Orc camps in the commons (too close to guards for ogres? can't remember)? I can think of plenty of crap once we get a few more levels (Oasis, Dervs, etc) but 10-14 could be annoying.

We could use an invite too when someone gets the chance.

Ask for Kean or Yevea this evening (past 6pm est) and i'll get you invited. As mentioned, kurns, CB, Unrest, Mistmoore. Those are the best places to really find people. We currently have a ton of newbie goons and teens-20something goons on Kunark, so that may be viable if you are okay with not having a safe town other than OT.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 4, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

xZAOx posted:

Have any of you Red server dudes hit the 40s yet?

I hear the server takes a very steep dive for the worse at that point. Like "deleveled twinks in VP gear with bind spots at the good exp spots solely to grief you" type of worse.

I've got a 52 Cleric and a recently 47 Bard. Yes you'll run into twinks, but it hasn't been a huge problem. Leveled through all of 40s in guk, only once did a Flowers come try to PK my cleric (while rezzing the 40s group), but we didn't really have much contest. Our CoM group last night had a wizard from <The Plague> PK our monk a few times, but it really isn't the ganksquad fest that Bluelords like to paint Red.

Plus, if that DID happen, we'd just do as I Love You! said, call LNS, loot ourselves, and port to another one of the numerous, unoccupied dungeons for 40+ xp groups.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

xZAOx posted:

LNS = Loot 'n Scoot, I gathered that much. But is shouting LNS enforced as a server rule, or just common courtesy that even the twinks adhere too?

It's GM enforced, preferred to be player enforced, and it comes with suspension if you violate it so people honor it or get suspended if they are found to be jerks. Basically the rule is: If you call LNS, you are required to loot, mem a few spells (gate, invis, whatever your class has), and leave the zone for 1 hour. If you try attacking them WHILE on your CR, or after looting.. Well you'd best get ready for being camped. LNS is the tuck your tail and move away approach, generally it is rare that you get camped unless you are affiliated with one of the top guilds, or are being a crybaby about being pvp'd.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148787 Here is the post about Red's unique PnP rules.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 5, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

T-Bone posted:

I'm going to be that guy: anyone got a little cash money platinum for Ginette and I to buy our next round of spells at 14/15 and and 19/22? And like he said we're on Faydwer now (lvl 13) if anyone in that range is lookin for a group. I know we've got another goon enchanter that range at least in those parts.

e: although thinking about it I've got some blue items/platinum that works out to 6k or so I could probably get some seed money through that, no?

I can help! I'm currently on Kunark, but i'll manage my way back ~soon~. I moved over here to help distribute the wealth to the large core of newbies leveling here (got stuck XPing in CoM), but I was planning on hitting the firepots to come tag others / etc. Alternatively I may just log in my friends druid and port him there and back. What are your character names?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I Love You! posted:

I'm going to be out in City of Mist for at least a few more levels, but as soon as I get back to civilization I promise half a hundred officer tags for everyone.

how does our fearless leader feel on letting pubbies into the fine ranks of SLAMDUNKATRON? Aeolian (idk who this is on sa) made some friends in CB

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

hayden. posted:

Yeah, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to trace. He says he uses a proxy and a blank account, but that money still has to get there from somewhere, and even if I used a proxy it'd eventually need to go to my main account to be of any use.

you're gonna get hosed if you do this. e: oh yeah, sounds like that was the consensus.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

:toot:

If we have a couple iksar newbies I'll do a kurns PL group later tonight. That or a CB group again. If anyone wants to make a bard or a cleric today, we'll be in business.

• Locked thread