Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
What's the most you've bet on a single game? Is "X dollars per ball" a common way to bet or is it usually full games? Also if you don't mind, I've got a personal question

I've had a pool table around the house my entire life but am merely "decent". I get the strategy and can be pretty good in spurts. I went to a pool hall two nights ago and did not feel completely outclassed, although the games I played were more friendly affairs. A girl I was there with plays competitively and watching her play 9 ball was pretty amazing. I ended up joining their social league and want to not be a bottom feeder. I've got a table at home so I can practice all I want.

My question is, I think I have a lovely way of holding the cue. If my fingers are on the table, the cue rests on the top of my thumb towards the inside of my hand and slides between my index and middle finger. I hope that makes some sense. Anyways it seems like most tutorials teach a different way of doing it but I've held it this way my entire life. Should I take the time to re-learn everything or just stick with what I've been doing? I realize this might be hard to answer because you can't see what my shot looks like IRL.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Thanks for the answers/tips. This is a cool thread. I'll probably stick with the way I bridge because I'm pretty consistent with it and I think trying to change it at this point would be like fundamentally changing a golf swing that you've been using for years. I'm not trying to become a pro or anything and I don't want to suck for a couple of months just to potentially be better in the future.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Well I got marked last night! Inspired by this thread, I went to a pool hall and rented my own table and was practicing for a while. Some dude comes up offering five dollars a game and I decline, later I go to his friend who was apparently the hustler. There did not seem to be any action at the hall, so I offer him drinks in return for playing me and giving me tips. Also the first time I've been offered an "x to y" race. He had a 1,200 dollar cue and a concealed gun. I ended up having an awesome night. Pool hustlers know how to party.

Also I broke the tip off of my lovely cue and need a new one. Any brand advice? I don't want to spend more than 100.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 14, 2012

• Locked thread