Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

jase1 posted:

I know nothing about financial stuff and if I am derailing my own thread I can do this over pm but is there a better option where I can put my money long term that won't be touched but if I need immediate access I can get it without penalties? I have 2 of those money market accounts that I opened 15 years ago and anytime I have extra money I just dump it in there. I haven't touched any money in there in 15 years and when I decide to retire that will basically be my retirement fund. I don't want anything to do with the stock market and that was advice from my uncle when I first opened them was to stay away from investing and just have your money collect interest. I feel money management is one of the most important things in hustling. If I don't have money then I can't make money.

To be honest, the stock market isn't bad if you stay away from short-term trading and speculation and focus mainly on stable income-producing stocks. (Did your uncle get burned by the market?) But you would have to put in the time to learn the basics of how to pick decent stocks. It's not that hard, but it's time that might be better spent shooting pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

jase1 posted:

You could ask 100 pool players this same question about what type of english to put on the ball when breaking straight ahead and it would probably be 50/50. Some say bottom english is the safest way to play it some say top. When I break straight ahead I put top english on it and this is why. When the balls break the 8 usually stays relatively close to the break out area. If you put top english on it sometimes the cue ball will spin right into the 8 and make it in the back corner pocket. It does not happen a lot but it gets that 8ball moving on the break which is always a good thing.

I told a story about hustling this young kid named Tom DV earlier and he is now trying to get some of his friends to play me. He is convinced I am not that good and telling people he is going to hustle me. What he doesn't know is the people he is telling these things to are letting me in on everything. He doesn't seem to be smart. I ran into him last night and we decided to make a prop bet and I ran the oldest hustle in the book on him. The prop bet goes like this. He gets 4 chances to play me in pool anytime before the kickoff of the NFL this year which is in September. He can show up anywhere I am that has a pool table and challenge me and I have to play him. I get to break every time and as soon as it is his turn he can take 3 balls of his off the table. We are going to play a total of 4 games he only has to win 1. He chooses the time and place of the first 3 and if he doesn't beat me I choose the time and place of the last game. The hustle is basically this, by taking 3 balls of the table it opens it up for me and makes it easier to make my balls. He for some reason doesn't understand this but I am not complaining he seems to like losing money. The winner gets $500.

Wow. I'm starting to see why the thread title calls these folks "dummies." This guy is going to just pour money into your pocket, isn't he.

• Locked thread