Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

When playing at a high level, how many times does each player generally shoot? It seems like the person who gets the first ball in would just keep shooting until he wins.

It depends on the game. It's extremely common in Straight Pool (really good players will run rack after rack before you shoot), fairly common in 9-ball, and somewhat common in 8-ball.

Pool will always have a bit of luck involved, and you don't always hit perfect shots. Getting yourself snookered (leaving yourself a hard or impossible shot) happens even to the very best, which is why safety play is so important (as Jase mentioned.)

Experience also matters a ton. Being able to SEE the table and knowing if you can run out or where you should pull up and play safe, where you need to break up bad balls, what natural angles to leave to make easy shots, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Putting right/left english on a ball also adds what's called deflection. So if you hit the cueball on the right hand side, not only will you impart spin on the ball, you'll also knock it off it's "straight" path by a slight amount.

There's a reason pool is so difficult, yet so wonderfully simplistic. It's entirely physics.

muskrat posted:

This may be the worst diagram for anything I've ever seen in my life. I'm pretty good at pool, and I have absolutely no idea what that's possibly trying to convey. Your words made more sense, but in no way are correlating to this diagram in my brain. (Also using a 90 degree angle as an example is a little silly, since it's physically impossible to do.)

e: I've looked at it for like 10 mins, and I finally get what it's trying to say. The grey ball is the cue ball (in motion, so on there twice) and the green square is the pocket? Using a 90-degree angle is still a bad idea there, but at least I understand it now. It's still terrible.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 11, 2012

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

squeakygeek posted:

90 degrees is the best for this diagram because as you approach 90 the error approaches a maximum.

:lol:

muskrat posted:

So much better.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

squeakygeek posted:

Do you speak English?

The new diagram is prettier, but less clear on what it's trying to illustrate.

Quite well, thank you. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anyways this thread should probably have more stories and less pool physics now. I think the basics have pretty much been covered so people that don't play at all have an idea of what's being talked about.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Really interesting thread. My apologies if this has been asked already, but have you ever met a woman that could beat you? Those women pros that they show shooting pool on ESPN sometimes, would they crush you or do you think you'd be able to handle them in a game?

There's no real strength advantage in pool (a little on the break, but that's it.) Women can be just as good as men in this sport.

It's traditionally a men's game, that's all. Not many women take up the game. Ergo there's a lot more top-level men.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You stun it. Which is to say you hit it hard enough that it doesn't actually roll forward or spin backwards as its traveling to the object ball, it just skids across the surface of the table. When it hits the object ball, all force is transferred to that ball, and the cue ball loses all it's momentum. Since it has no spin, it sits in place.

You don't even have to hit it particularly hard to get this effect, either.

The drawback to this is that you can only do this with straight on shots. Any other kind of shot will only transfer part of the cue ball's momentum to the object ball, and the cue ball will deflect off at it's natural angle.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It's actually pretty simple rules. You have to pot a red ball, then a colored ball. You keep doing that until the red balls are cleared. Each of the colored balls is worth a certain amount of points, 2-7. When you potted a colored ball, it is respotted on the table.

Each red ball is worth 1 point. So it's possible to get 15 red balls, and pot the black ball (7 pts) after each red ball for a total of 120 pts. After all the reds are potted, you then shoot the coloured in order for a total of 2+3+4+5+6+7 = 27 pts.

So if you play absolutely perfectly, you can score a 147. It probably isn't worth getting into just how ridiculously hard this is to do.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 9, 2012

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

ColtMcAsskick posted:

- No contact with the rails is required (which means delicious easy snookers)

I never want to play your version. Holy poo poo I'm getting irritated just thinking about it, lol.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That may not be about pool, but it's definitely about hustling. It might be my favorite story, lol.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Live by the hustle, die by the hustle?

lovely situation man, but you might want to re-think your whole attitude and lifestyle.

Did you seriously read the story and not notice that the very anecdote you read DID cause him to re-think things? That was kinda the whole point of the story?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You know that saying "nobody cares about your bad beats"?

I don't know where it came from, because I love bad beat stories. The swing in emotion is entertaining as hell!

Great stories, Jase. Keep em coming!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It means he has AQQQ5. Which is a set (of three). Which loses to a full house of 555QQ.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Christopher Walken is in Poolhall Junkies. Ergo, everyone should watch Poolhall Junkies.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bearnt! posted:

Yeah no kidding, that was super intense. Now I'm all curious what the deal with the kid is.

Same. I was assuming he was that nonchalant because he knew if he lost they were gonna just rob jase and Frank.

loving intense!

jase did you ever find out what the big guy said to Frank?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

jase1 posted:

I completely left out that part of the story sorry about that. I kept getting interrupted when I was trying to post this story. They were road players and the big guy was the kids backer. According to frank they had been on the road for about 10 weeks and the kid was crushing it and they had made a lot of money. The big guy was telling Frank that he knew he was better than the kid but he wanted the kid to learn a lesson because the kid was so sure he could beat Frank. It was one of those learning moments where if he loses, he gets that there are people out there that will beat him or hustle him. Franks said there was no bad blood and the guy was talking to him about the road and their experiences and how the kid thinks he is invincible. With a loss like that I expect that kid to become so much better and I wouldn't be surprised if I see him again in June at the Vegas qualifier tournament.

This is completely awesome in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Happy Birthday buddy. :toot:

• Locked thread