Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

What's a safety?

On every shot you have to hit one of "your" pool balls before you hit the other guy's (so if you're solids, you have to hit a solid ball before you hit a striped one). If you hit his first, or don't hit any balls at all, it's a scratch.

A safety is when you don't think you can make a ball on this shot, and since you're going to give the next shot to your opponent anyway you deliberately hit the ball so it touches one of your balls first & ends up with the cue ball somewhere where it's really difficult for your opponent to hit one of his balls first. Worst case scenario he makes a miracle shot, but more often than not he barely escapes with a crappy safety and leaves you in decent position for your next shot. As the OP says, non-great players (for example, the ones you find in bars, drunk & stressed out by the thought of getting hustled) usually scratch, give him ball in hand and from there he can run the table.

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, 95% of my experience lies in boring summer days watching billiards on ESPN.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Ah, but if you had played it right you could've had your first foursome :fap:

Some gambler he is.

• Locked thread