Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
How common is people playing by house/non-standard rules, like using the kitchen instead of ball in hand on a scratch? Follow up: how many times have you gotten in to arguments with people about these rules?

I ask because everyone I tend to play with (outside of a pool hall) thinks that if they scratch, you have to put the ball in the kitchen. I don't know why I can't convince people of that otherwise, but it kind of ruins the game when you can scratch on purpose in order to screw up your opponent's shot.

Kind of related, what is the typical skill level of the people you hustle? Are you usually taking on people who play once every few months at the bar, or are they people who seem like they play often enough to consider themselves good, or at least better than most?

Great thread, by the way. I tried to get in to pool a while back but the only real pool hall is about a 30 minute drive. I need to start playing again, because I really enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Doctor Malaver posted:

All right, say you lost 4 games on purpose to get a low skill handicap, and it pays back by giving you advantage over other teams so you won the next 4 games... Was it worth it? Lost 4, won 4 - might have as well played for real from the start.

A lot of amateur leagues use handicaps. 9-ball for example: If you're ranked B and your opponent is ranked A, you might only have to sink the 7 ball whereas your opponent has to make the 9. In most games this won't matter, but in a handicap tournament you can easily win against equal or even better players if you're ranked lower because your handicap allows you an advantage.

Golf might be a better example as it uses numbers, and handicaps apply more often. You're a 25 handicap, and you're playing against a 10 handicap. You get 15 strokes on him, so your opponent has to beat you by 15+ strokes to win. This means you have every incentive to have as high a handicap as possible to maximize your advantage, so when it really counts you can simply play better than normal and pretty much be assured a victory.

• Locked thread