Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
Awesome thread.

As a great player, what are your most and least favorite difficult (but common) shots?

Examples: long rail shots, bank across the entire table, really difficult cuts, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

chipclip posted:

I'm very new to shooting regularly and this has helped me tremendously. Especially on long shots, cutting or shooting straight. At first I didn't realize what I was doing that let me shoot those long shots (the hardest for me to do consistently, especially straight ones for some reason) but then it just became a habit and, yeah, it works very well.

To my knowledge, straight long shots are bad for good players too. Obviously the difficulty of the shot is low, but the problem is your options are limited for leaves (where you want the cueball to end up).

Jase, how true is that for you?

quote:

When I first started playing, I tried to think of my cue as an arrow pointing to the spot I'd like to contact the object ball and I'd focus on the stick instead of the object ball itself. This never worked well or, if it did, sporadically.

The problem is the balls are spherical. Take a really extreme cut shot (like a cut at ~90 degrees). If you aim your cue at the edge of the object ball where you want to hit it, the cueball will actually make contact "before" that (closer to a straight-on hit) and you'll miss. You have to account for the shape of the cueball.

When I was starting out, a friend explained this to me, and it helped quite a bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

e: I've looked at it for like 10 mins, and I finally get what it's trying to say. The grey ball is the cue ball (in motion, so on there twice) and the green square is the pocket? Using a 90-degree angle is still a bad idea there, but at least I understand it now. It's still terrible.

Noted, though it took like 30 seconds to draw and I couldn't figure out how to remove the attachment after posting (was going to add arrows).

EDIT: Here's a better diagram I found online. Hopefully it still illustrates that you can't aim your cue stick at the point of contact.

muskrat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 11, 2012

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

I need to make the cue ball contact at that spot. Is that what's been plaguing my game? (Besides only playing once in a blue moon)

Yes. To summarize:

1) Pretend you want to hit the object ball directly into the pocket, with your cue stick (without having to use the cue ball). The point at which you'd hit the ball is called "point of contact".

2) The cue ball needs to hit the object ball at this point of contact. You are correct about that.

3) Aim accordingly. It's not as simple as pointing your cue stick directly at that spot, as shown in the previous diagrams.

Now back to OP's amazing stories :)

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
Do you always go for the 8-ball break? I think I understand how the break works, but it seems like you're at higher risk for scratching on the break.

If you know you're better, why not just do a safer break most of the time?

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

jase1 posted:

I always go for the 8 on the break unless I am in a situation where it is the last game for a lot of money. Then I play it safe.

I see, makes sense. Where do you find the safest break to be? I'm guessing straight on?

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
Do you break differently on a non-regulation size table? I don't know the dimensions, but the ones at bars are usually quite a bit smaller than what you find in a billiards hall.

Does the 8-ball break work on these tables? Where should I break from on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

jase1 posted:

It may take a full game or two but I can usually spot it pretty quickly. I can sometimes spot it by the way they break or hold the stick. Also there are certain shots that average pool players would never try that an experienced pool player will do and that will give it away fast.

What are some examples of said shots? With how they hold the cue, is it just a matter of how comfortable they look, or do you notice specific things?

As an aside, it'd be really cool if there was a website to quickly diagram these pool shots. Someone get to work!

• Locked thread