Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I can't believe you are also the repo thread dude. You have one hell of an exciting life I mean it's straight out of the movies. Great thread makes me want to go across the street later and shoot some pool(I'm terrible).

Well, I've been reading the thread too and now know that if I really want to 'hustle' someone, I need to start off with a coke bottle on it's side for a long while first..

Great thread, OP :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jase1 posted:

mad story of hustling dude for $500 and getting the girl like an 80s movie

This is the coolest thing in the history of the world.

edit: also, pool - actually a bloodsport. who knew?!

edit2: a movie.. with these scenes played out interspersed with voice-overed short chunks of technical pool instruction and the art of the hustle from the main character jase1..

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 13, 2012

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jase1 posted:

There is a reason this strange guy is trying to gamble with you on pool.

Exactly. I guess it works better in bars and places with drinks because stupidity and drinking go hand-in-hand.

A big part of this must be the 'hustle' itself, convincing your target that you're just a guy looking for a game and why not make it a little interesting?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

[Edit] Additionally, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3C7I5lRZII is a thing. 147 in 5 minutes 20 seconds. That is an average of 10 seconds a shot, including the time it takes the referee to replace potted colours (give or take). Ronnie is insane when his head is in the game.

This was really good and I enjoyed it.

I then found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAyAdzsirE0

Ronnie, no poo poo, holds up play at the beginning of the frame asking if there is a prize for a 147 break. Like he stops playing and says please find out. Everyone is like really wtf and eventually the umpire guy just says I don't think there is one bro.

Ronnie says pfft and then runs out with a mad 147 break! It's really ridiculous, at around 6:35 there is an insane shot, you have to watch it a couple of times to believe it.

What a cheeky awesome fucker

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, what a ridiculous dickhead. The English can be like us Aussies, or the other way round because we're one of their colonies, but the quickest way to be disliked by everyone and ridiculed is think you're something special and starting acting like it.

Like telling the ref to shut up, just who the gently caress do you think you are?

It's not that he is American, it's that he is a massive dick. But I think that because I do things like spend a lot of time here, so I'm one of the first to say 'there are 300 million Americans, they're not all the same..'. But this guy furthers that perception unfortunately, and you'd hope someone would tell him 'when you go overseas you're representing us and you're making us look like a bunch of dickheads' but I'm sure this guy wouldn't listen.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jaweeeblop posted:

He really isn't that bad of a person, he just has a short fuse and doesn't know how to control his emotions. Cherry picking videos of him being a douche is a lot more fun than posting videos of him giving one on one lessons and having cordial conversations with fans.

You're probably right, but literally telling the ref 'they're calling me names' just illustrates being a total man-child and probably not beaten up enough in school.

Anyways, the point I'm making is internationally he is the American that many love to hate. He knows this and plays it up, but it's really not doing anyone any favours. That makes him a dickhead, and in Australia a dickhead means not necessarily someone malicious or nasty, just someone a bit stupid to does stupid poo poo and you really wouldn't want to be around too much.

But also a very English/Aussie thing is the idea of stoicism, actually I think that’s a big part of American culture too particularly country types a bit like the Man with No Name from the spaghetti Westerns. The minute a man starts having a proper whinge that usually just loses you a ton of respect.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
fucken hell man, you just keep coming out with these amazing stories, don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Jase.

The best poo poo I've read on SA, and I've read a lot of poo poo. Your stories are loving intense, man, when I read them late at night I go to sleep thinking about pool. You've made me wanna find some tables and work on my game.

Thanks a lot, this is top class entertainment. Talk about vicariously living though someone else's experience.. never though a pool room hustler could be so cool.

Keep it up, if you can. You'll beat Frank one day. :)

• Locked thread