Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

jase1 posted:

When I play poker I purposefully try to hide the strength of my hand in order to get people to put more money in the pot. I am deceiving someone through deception or manipulation to get all their money. Does that mean playing poker is unethical? That's really the only way I can describe it. In my opinion its the same thing.

Well, you could say one difference is that you are deceiving someone in order to persuade him to gamble, whereas in poker they have already decided to gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
What does "run out" mean?

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Putting right/left english on a ball also adds what's called deflection. So if you hit the cueball on the right hand side, not only will you impart spin on the ball, you'll also knock it off it's "straight" path by a slight amount.

There's a reason pool is so difficult, yet so wonderfully simplistic. It's entirely physics.

This may be the worst diagram for anything I've ever seen in my life. I'm pretty good at pool, and I have absolutely no idea what that's possibly trying to convey. Your words made more sense, but in no way are correlating to this diagram in my brain. (Also using a 90 degree angle as an example is a little silly, since it's physically impossible to do.)

e: I've looked at it for like 10 mins, and I finally get what it's trying to say. The grey ball is the cue ball (in motion, so on there twice) and the green square is the pocket? Using a 90-degree angle is still a bad idea there, but at least I understand it now. It's still terrible.

90 degrees is the best for this diagram because as you approach 90 the error approaches a maximum.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

:lol:

Do you speak English?

quote:

So much better.

The new diagram is prettier, but less clear on what it's trying to illustrate.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

jase1 posted:

I have a ton of other gambling stories and I will tell some of them and here is a quick one about a long standing prop bet I have had with the guys a play poker with. If you don't know what a prop bet is there are a couple different meanings but in this case it's basically a dare for money. I have so many prop bets going that I have to keep a list in my phone so I can remember them.

This prop bet is the longest prop bet I have going right now because no one has coughed up the money for me to do it. Basically it goes like this for $25k I will bite the tip of my pinky off at the knuckle. The only rules to the bet are I can numb my hand, have my pinky tip put on ice and then I need to be taken to the hospital immediately after. If someone comes up with the money and I back out I have to pay 5k. Now I have no clue if I could really do it physically and if mentally I could do it but 25k is a good sum of money for about 10 seconds of work. I won't truly know if I will go through with it until the money is put in front of me and I actually have to attempt to do it. This prop bet was recorded on video and in front of 25 people and they are the only ones who can front the money for this.

I hope you realize we aren't going to put that back on. If it were something we would try to put back on, it's not like we just stick it back on and you go home, either. You'd be stuck in the hospital for a week or so with no guarantee, and a long recovery once you're out. You probably should have talked to a hand surgeon before making that bet.

e: You sure as hell aren't going to turn a profit, either. You'd be much better off paying the 5k.

squeakygeek fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 5, 2012

• Locked thread