Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nog
May 15, 2006

jase, hopefully you don't mind me chiming in here. I'm not even a half decent pool player, but I used to tend bar in a pool hall for a while and I have some fair insight to chip in.

squeakygeek posted:

Well, you could say one difference is that you are deceiving someone in order to persuade him to gamble, whereas in poker they have already decided to gamble.

Even without having hustled someone myself, I can tell you this much, the kind of guys that usually end up getting hustled generally aren't the best sort of people. As a general rule, I found that the guys who got hustled were either assholes who deserved it, guys who were so stupid they'd bet you even without the deception, or guys who were so cocky they'd put money down even if they could tell you were better.

I saw countless guys get "hustled" by the same person who had beat them over and over on previous nights. Most of these players just seemed so dumb that it's almost difficult to avoid hustling them. It requires a lot less deceit then you can possibly imagine.

poo poo, I knew one girl whose entire hustle was just the fact that she was a female. Nothing else to it. Dumb guys would line up all night long to lose money to her because:

1. They were sad barflies and just wanted an excuse to chat with one of the few cute girls in the bar

2. They were just too prideful to consider that a girl was a better player than they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread