Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Right... next you're gonna tell me Russia isn't filled to the brim with Matryoshka dolls :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uggh, oh my god space brothers I don't caaaaarrrreeeeee. Why are you making me sit through 20 mins of a little girl being pressured to do something she hates and isn't even good at? I mean for fucks sake they look at bruising under toenails and just go "That means you're working hard! Good job!" fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Seriously you don't teach en pointe to pre-teens what is wrong with these people?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Look, ballet relates to space because WHAT THE gently caress SPACE BROS JUST SHOOT MUTTA TO MARS ALREADY

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, this particular arc gives Hibito some much needed focus and character development he's been lacking throughout the show's run. Admittedly, it was probably less painful in the manga since they wouldn't be padding it out. But yeah, this is a Hibito arc so don't expect to see Mutta much for the next few episodes.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I watched this show every week for ages but I dropped off some time around episode 52 when they were in the desert. Is it worth picking back up again? I kind of miss mutta's adventures.

Giant Enemy Cliche fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 16, 2013

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
If you dropped the show once before there's not a compelling reason to pick it back up, it's just more of the same. Some new obstacle comes up, Mutta perseveres and moves past it only to encounter yet another obstacle. I don't expect him to even be in space for another 20 episodes.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I don't think it was ever worth dropping in the first place... Its been a consistent bright spot in my life. I'm going to be bummed out when it's over.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

ashez2ashes posted:

I don't think it was ever worth dropping in the first place... Its been a consistent bright spot in my life. I'm going to be bummed out when it's over.

As someone who just picked this up and marathoned it, this is a good show. It's not amazing but fast-paced like Planetes, or amazing and slow-paced like LoGH, but it's just a really good show. Very rarely do I feel let down after watching an episode, and while I'm not super apprehensive about the outcome (I figure his aunt will die just before he gets to go into space after the person he's serving as backup to on the moon trip gets ill, Hibito gets better, and the two stand on the moon together watching the construction of the space telescope in the final scene), the journey is really enjoyable. Seeing Nanba go from unemployed to astronaut is really nice, and the problems other people have around him mean that it doesn't feel too relentlessly optimistic.

I think now I'm waiting for new episodes I'm gonna be mad every time the show doesn't move forward though.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

occipitallobe posted:

I think now I'm waiting for new episodes I'm gonna be mad every time the show doesn't move forward though.

and that is precisely why I usually temporarily drop this show for a bit and then marathon the latest 5 to 10 episodes.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Myurton posted:

and that is precisely why I usually temporarily drop this show for a bit and then marathon the latest 5 to 10 episodes.
You could probably watch every-other-episode and still keep up with this show. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could. It might mean missing out on Olga's apparent infatuation with Hibito and Hibbito, or not. But, you'd get the overall content. Also, it seems the first part of each episode is a regurgitation of the last episode or last few episodes.

Okay, so we are getting some much needed Hibito love during these episodes. I can't say that's a bad thing, but I think there are a whole lot of other things they could've done with Hibito instead of have him suffer these awful panic attacks and send him, of all places, to Russia With Love. Really? We can't deal with panic disorders in the good ol' USA? Was it to keep Mutta in the dark? I might've missed that part.

Frankly, Olga scares me. She's freaking fifteen and seems to have a crush on Hibito! This situation cannot end well. Hopefully, the show doesn't go there. Olga is his inspiration for getting well. That's it. Right? However, since this show has been generally fairly tame/lame in the romantical department, I'd say we have a good chance of Olga's infatuation being simply an innocent thing with Hibito either none the wiser or deftly avoiding any possible issues.

Where the hell are Kenji's wife and child? We are badly in need of an update there. Also, Nitta's little brother? Has he stepped outside yet?

I'd love to learn more about Hibito's background. We know Mutta has a doctorate in some engineering field (I'm thinking mechanical), so he has that as a core qualification for being an astronaut. You can bet just about anyone NASA flings into outer space has a PhD or MD unless they're incredible pilots -- and even then, they probably have a PhD for good measure anyway. What are Hibito's qualifications? How did he get chosen as an astronaut in the first place? What did he to to leap-frog over his counterparts and get to the moon so fast? Maybe some made-up drama that requires flashbacks to investigate these items would be interesting?

This is a show that you know you can watch, reliably, every week and pretty-much come away fairly satisfied. It's like the meat-and-potatoes anime of the week. Nothing super flashy, but always filling.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dan7el posted:

Really? We can't deal with panic disorders in the good ol' USA? Was it to keep Mutta in the dark? I might've missed that part.

Yes. Hibito told Butler he'd undergo therapy if the public story was that he was doing training, specifically for Mutta.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dan7el posted:

Where the hell are Kenji's wife and child? We are badly in need of an update there. Also, Nitta's little brother? Has he stepped outside yet?

It'll come up again. It hasn't been forgotten about. The author seems to like to take his sweet time on hinting at potential plotlines before bringing them up again 2 or 3 arcs later.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

Myurton posted:

That's kind of what I was doing at the time. I didn't drop it deliberately, I just sort of faded out during the summer. I've started downloading what I've missed and I'm going to try to get back in. This season's not looking great for me so a bit of space brothers might keep me going.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Dan7el posted:

Frankly, Olga scares me. She's freaking fifteen and seems to have a crush on Hibito! This situation cannot end well. Hopefully, the show doesn't go there. Olga is his inspiration for getting well. That's it. Right? However, since this show has been generally fairly tame/lame in the romantical department, I'd say we have a good chance of Olga's infatuation being simply an innocent thing with Hibito either none the wiser or deftly avoiding any possible issues.

Um I don't know where you live but young people having crushes on someone older then them is a pretty common thing. As this show is pretty realistic about a lot of things, I'm sure that it'll turn out like it usually does in reality and that is nothing will happen.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, this episode was a good one not to miss. Olga definitely had an impact on Hibito. I wonder if they'll show us, the real audience, what is on the Olga years 10-15 CD They don't really tell us how long Hibito was in Russia. Meanwhile, back in Houston, we kind of need to get back there and check up on our main hero-man, Mutta. Has he found a hair relaxer that works yet?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dan7el posted:

Olga definitely had an impact on Hibito. I wonder if they'll show us, the real audience, what is on the Olga years 10-15 CD

I hope they don't, the only good thing about this arc was the Silly Costume Rehabilitation Method, and they cut it short.

But anyway, Mutta is back next episode, so things are looking good again.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Getting real tired of this Butler love heart gimmick.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Popehoist posted:

I nearly dropped the series because of that episode. Instead, I got by with skipping one or two episodes and filling in the blanks with the previews.

Also, with the summaries, opening/ending, and that cartoon, it seems like there's only really 2/3 or less of the show time dedicated to actual content, so really it wasn't a huge loss.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Space Bros. got good again. They did it by going under the sea, and going back to characters people actually like.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Speculation: the competition doesn't decide who does and does not go to the moon per se, but rather the the primary team and their backups. Kenji will "win", Mutta will be a backup, but then someone in the primary crew will dropout for whatever reason, and Mutta will replace them.

I'm curious to know if NASA actually does ever pull this kind of hunger games crap to decide who gets to go on missions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, I was hoping they wouldn't find out until the end. I really appreciated how positive this episode was. :smith:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shakugan posted:

Speculation: the competition doesn't decide who does and does not go to the moon per se, but rather the the primary team and their backups. Kenji will "win", Mutta will be a backup, but then someone in the primary crew will dropout for whatever reason, and Mutta will replace them.

I'm curious to know if NASA actually does ever pull this kind of hunger games crap to decide who gets to go on missions.

Seems to me that anyone who hasn't washed out by this point would be extraordinarily competent and qualified, and they'd want to focus on putting together teams that work really well together. But then I don't work at NASA. :shrug: Ask Zorak?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Popehoist posted:

Thankfully, it doesn't come up too much, but it's always so brutally terrible when it does.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

My guess is that the whole "only one of you will make it to the moon" thing is a cheap gimmick. They want to see how the candidates will act toward each other, etc. etc. etc.

There is probably a lot you can tell about someone when you give them a knife and a selfish reason to stab someone in the back with it.

My other guess is that at first, Kenji and Mutta will "react as you'd expect" and figure each other as enemies. One of them is going to decide, "We can't work like this. We have to be a team regardless of who gets chosen. Let's do the job and hope that the other gets to go."

Something like that.

It will win the day and both will be chosen.

Or, Kenji will get chosen and decide he can't be gone during the birth of the second child.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Dan7el posted:

My guess is that the whole "only one of you will make it to the moon" thing is a cheap gimmick. They want to see how the candidates will act toward each other, etc. etc. etc.

There is probably a lot you can tell about someone when you give them a knife and a selfish reason to stab someone in the back with it.

My other guess is that at first, Kenji and Mutta will "react as you'd expect" and figure each other as enemies. One of them is going to decide, "We can't work like this. We have to be a team regardless of who gets chosen. Let's do the job and hope that the other gets to go."

Something like that.

It will win the day and both will be chosen.

Or, Kenji will get chosen and decide he can't be gone during the birth of the second child.

If I had to guess I'd say they're setting up Kenji to go first so that Mutta can go on an unspecified later trip, conviniently enough just in time for Hibito to get over his thing so they can go together.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This week's episode is exactly what it needed to be. I'm glad they didn't drag out the drama too long. This show just isn't as good when Mutta and Kenji aren't on the same side.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

This week's episode is exactly what it needed to be. I'm glad they didn't drag out the drama too long. This show just isn't as good when Mutta and Kenji aren't on the same side.

I agree wholeheartedly. I like Kenji. I like Mutta. I want so bad for both of them to be able to go to the moon together and be moonbros.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just when I start getting excited for the show again... another Hibito episode. I wish I could say "YAAAAAY", but Hibito is the worst character. It's strange, I don't mind the flashbacks to when he and Mutta were younger, he had personality. But adult Hibito is just dull.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Well, in this case it wasn't all Hibito. They might balance things out for a couple more episodes before getting back into his story, but yeah, I agree. Hibito is far less interesting to watch than Mutta.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shakugan posted:

Just when I start getting excited for the show again... another Hibito episode. I wish I could say "YAAAAAY", but Hibito is the worst character. It's strange, I don't mind the flashbacks to when he and Mutta were younger, he had personality. But adult Hibito is just dull.

It's probably because the only thing he managed to do so far is land on the moon and nearly suffocate while there. Meanwhile Mutta is going through all sorts of training/Hunger Games while innovating new ways to do things.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Because all we know of Hibito is what we've been told and not shown. For the most part, that is. We're told how awesome he was an is, but we don't really see it for ourselves. We know he made it as the first Japanese man to walk the moon, but we don't really know why -- other than that he is incredibly awesome but we never saw him be the awesomest of them all.

For sure, we got to see him go through the struggle of surviving on the moon, but I don't know if he did anything super extraordinary there. He did save his co-astronaut, but was that beyond expected? Likely not. We got to see him give up and almost die. His brother and another astronaut really saved is rear end.

Now, we get to see Hibito quake in his moon boots when wearing a spacesuit. And, he has a 15-year old Russian girlfriend. What's not to like?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Given how many astronauts are waiting in the wings to go up into space, it just seems incredibly unlikely to me that NASA would ever let someone with PTSD (caused by a space accident, that has been shown to trigger when inside a space suit no less) anywhere near a mission ever again, regardless of them being able to suppress an attack while on Earth. Sending someone into space is incredibly expensive, so they surely wouldn't risk sending someone who might end up useless. More importantly, you wouldn't think they'd be willing to send someone who could end up as a huge liability to the other astronauts, potentially putting their lives in danger.

Not to mention the stunning incompetence Hibito displayed while on the moon that allowed him to even get in the accident in the first place (sure, let's drive crazy fast on the moons surface even though it's apparently difficult to see and for some reason we don't have a map or anything of gigantic craters that are likely nearby! Let's continue to do with no increased precautions even after we almost drive into a crater the first time!).

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Shakugan posted:

Not to mention the stunning incompetence Hibito displayed while on the moon that allowed him to even get in the accident in the first place (sure, let's drive crazy fast on the moons surface even though it's apparently difficult to see and for some reason we don't have a map or anything of gigantic craters that are likely nearby! Let's continue to do with no increased precautions even after we almost drive into a crater the first time!).

Wasn't the other astronaut the driver of the moon buggy. I always thought Hibito was the passenger.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Necro Bumping this thread because episode 88 was fantastic and anyone who drifted away from this show should pick it back up. Hibito/Mutta interaction is always fantastic and I wish they got to spend more time together.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I disagree. Partly because I dislike Hibito as a character, but mainly because whenever Mutta and Hibito are interacting the plot is revolving around Hibito. This is an issue because Mutta's story is always really inspiring and uplifting, but Hibito's plots seem to be boring (let's watch Hibito wear 50 different masks 50 different times to recover from PTSD!), bizarre (Olga) or the result of plot contrivance (let's have these supposedly incredibly talented astronauts have a completely implausible accident on the moon to drum up some drama).

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I like it because even though Hibito has had the far more successful life and is a celebrity all over Japan he still has to sit down and listen to Mutta dish out advice and words of wisdom. It really makes him feel more authentically like the little brother when Mutta manages to throw together a solution to his problems all so easily. Even though the plot is revolving around Hibito, it's ultimately still Mutta who is driving things along and helping progress the plot by helping him out in a very brotherly way.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Popehoist posted:

I like it because even though Hibito has had the far more successful life and is a celebrity all over Japan he still has to sit down and listen to Mutta dish out advice and words of wisdom. It really makes him feel more authentically like the little brother when Mutta manages to throw together a solution to his problems all so easily. Even though the plot is revolving around Hibito, it's ultimately still Mutta who is driving things along and helping progress the plot by helping him out in a very brotherly way.

I agree. It was nice to see that while it may seem like Hibito has it all compared to Mutta, Mutta is the older brother and is able to give some great advice to Hibito and I thought it was a really great bonding moment. The Hibito sections are the worst part of the show, but I think even at it's worst the show is still very entertaining and it was nice to see Mutta's and Hibito's paths start to cross.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Mutta is by far the best character out of the two brothers, but I've actually enjoyed the Hibito segments a lot. It didn't seem right to me that one of the titular brothers was one we hardly spent any time watching, so I think it's good that he got some attention.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

My brother got me this for Christmas, unfortuantely I don't own a blue jump suit.

I'm still about 20 episodes behind but I'm trying to catch up. I want to be watching when the finale comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Mr. Hibbit's back. :negative:

EDIT: The rest of the episode was great. Mutta continued to be a drat good brother. It's just...goddamn it. That loving short isn't interesting and just reduces the amount of content the actual episode has.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread