Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:(

I hope there's a tl;dr to the rest, I'm vaguely interested to see where it all ends but don't really wanna read lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Are they going through a bad thing, or is it just that making webcomics is an awful thing? Would not be surprised at all were it the latter.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bleck posted:

Are they going through a bad thing, or is it just that making webcomics is an awful thing? Would not be surprised at all were it the latter.

It's likely more that it's a very time consuming thing, and that continuing work on CQ may have very well been taking time away from other, bigger projects.

It is a real shame though, especially since it seems like the comic ended just as poo poo Was Getting Real.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/1146537002793259008

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's likely more that it's a very time consuming thing, and that continuing work on CQ may have very well been taking time away from other, bigger projects.

It is a real shame though, especially since it seems like the comic ended just as poo poo Was Getting Real.

Maybe as a corollary to "don't plan 10+ year art projects" we should add "don't have the premise of your project depend on a series of big twists that won't actually come into play until after book five."

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hmm...it wouldn't be hard to make an animatic version of this, with the text scrolling over the background images and some music playing for the backdrop.

I'll have to fire up Davinci when I get my normal computer back. Heck, or Ren'Py if you want to control scrolling and have a 'log' menu.

It isn't dead. It's just...evolving. And it got real dusty in here...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aw that sucks :(

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
In retrospect this isn't surprising, since updates have been getting more and more sparse.

That said, it's still a real bummer that CQ is going to the graveyard of unfinished webcomics.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
It’s probably the only one that’s going to be unfinished (in original format at least), but also has four published volumes that you can buy in bookstores.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Eh. So long as she's happy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On the one hand, I really enjoyed the stuff she made so far.

On the other, I wouldn't have supported the production of the books if I knew it was going to go this way. If she was just going to switch to straight volume releases and no webcomic, that'd be one thing. slow down production a lot, take twice as long if you need, that'd be totally fine! But if it's an "illustrated script wrapping the whole thing up" that sounds like a real fuckin' bummer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda thought it was already canceled if I'm being honest.

I'll just catch a tl;dr as the art carried a lot of the gags and Gigi's writing isn't quite... what I'd subscribe to I guess. I hope her future projects go better for her though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

On the one hand, I really enjoyed the stuff she made so far.

On the other, I wouldn't have supported the production of the books if I knew it was going to go this way. If she was just going to switch to straight volume releases and no webcomic, that'd be one thing. slow down production a lot, take twice as long if you need, that'd be totally fine! But if it's an "illustrated script wrapping the whole thing up" that sounds like a real fuckin' bummer.

I probably wouldn't have bought them if I'd known they'd be an incomplete set forever but what can ya do, she probably didn't think it would turn out this way at the time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Hmm...it wouldn't be hard to make an animatic version of this, with the text scrolling over the background images and some music playing for the backdrop.

I'll have to fire up Davinci when I get my normal computer back. Heck, or Ren'Py if you want to control scrolling and have a 'log' menu.

It isn't dead. It's just...evolving. And it got real dusty in here...
Please do this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aww cranberries. I know she never really liked this place, but it's still a real bummer to hear that this is a necessity for her, and I hope (if the reasons for stopping are bad) that things get better soon.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If it's any comfort, we were a magnitude better than Tumblr could ever be.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe as a corollary to "don't plan 10+ year art projects" we should add "don't have the premise of your project depend on a series of big twists that won't actually come into play until after book five."

This is why the key to a really successful long term comic is to have a blandly generic art style that can be churned out forever, and even handed off to a different artist without anyone knowing, if need be.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
What a bummer! CQ is one of the best webcomics I’ve ever read and it felt like it was just getting to the best part, especially going by that chapter five script. But clearly Gigi has been agonizing over this choice so I’m sure it had to happen. At least we get some form of closure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's always more heartening to see "comic ended because creator became too successful to juggle it" rather than "comic ended because the artist got bored"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At one point she said “Don’t make your first major project a years-spanning webcomic.” and so yeah I’m not surprised.

Honestly I’m expecting Paranatural to suffer the same fate since Morrison’s hand is going to fall off at this rate. Turns out a putting out a comic book all by yourself every month is hard!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TwoPair posted:

It's always more heartening to see "comic ended because creator became too successful to juggle it" rather than "comic ended because the artist got bored"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kITlnWolL_k&hd=1

an interesting, if slightly crazy, take on the situation(though the example being Game of Thrones, not CC)

a conversation of "if you are being sold a story, should you be able to ask for your money back if the creator decides not to finish it after selling multiple books/seasons of it to you"

One side, Pat, believes so in all cases, the other side, Woolie, who uses Vagabond as an example, believes the journey along the way is worth it in itself. the conversation is long and meandering but it was pretty fascinating to see the perspective on it, especially when Pat talks about owing people for not finishing an LP he starts. I think that is funny because an example just got referenced on the Giant Bombcast where TO THIS DAY, SEVEN YEARS SINCE, people STILL harp on them never doing an Orcs Must Die 2 quick look that they had up on the schedule and then canceled for whatever reason and never did. SEVEN YEARS over a 20 minute video that didn't get made.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 4, 2019

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dang, can't say I'm surprised but I'm sad to see it go. Cucumber Quest is/was one of my favorites and though I'll miss not seeing it fully realized I absolutely enjoyed what we got and that hasn't changed.

And tho webcomic are notorious for this (if usually handled a lot worse), my opinion on the matter lines up Mr. Gaiman's response to ASOIAF fan complaining about GRRM's lack of progress:

Neil Gaiman posted:

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the idea that any artist owes people their money back for consuming the art they spent hundreds of hours working on is patently ridiculous and no thread should be subjected to pat's views on anything

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

WarpedNaba posted:

Eh. So long as she's happy.
Oh yeah, I don’t begrudge her this at all, and if the reason is what I’m inferring it is from other news (she’s getting more pro comic and art jobs and can’t keep investing the time and effort of a massive personal project as well) then I’m really happy for her.

It just stands out to me because the usual fate of the unfinished webcomic is the creator clearly losing interest as updates drop off and/or vanishing off the face of the internet. CQ is GiGi’s baby, and she still clearly loves it - she was posting character art and little side comics even when the main site wasn’t updating, she got it published (and not just Kickstarter-only), she still wants to get it out in one form or another.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it was her baby and, while she obviously still loves it, who you were eight years ago can be a very different person compared to who you are now. I don’t think she intended CQ to be her magnum opus or even a large project. And maybe as she matured as a writer and artist, the scope of the story just kept growing and growing. I guess what I’m saying is that she doesn’t like, secretly hate CQ or whatever, but that she probably didn’t anticipate that she’d still be working on it eight years later. Considering it was among her first professional projects as an artist, she likely had to forgo a lot of other opportunities because of the time demanded by CQ.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

the idea that any artist owes people their money back for consuming the art they spent hundreds of hours working on is patently ridiculous and no thread should be subjected to pat's views on anything

Yeah, it sounds like a lovely idea that gives Capitalism an erection. 'If you don't finish your entire multi-book series, people can just demand a refund, forever'

People aren't Netflix, calm the gently caress down.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gonna be honest, I'm just glad it'll be concluded in some capacity. At this point I kinda figured it would be unceremoniously cancelled and that's that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Pity she didn't settle the shipping, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

somepartsareme posted:

Yeah. The only way you can be owed a refund is if you paid not for the stuff that's already published, but for a preorder of a work that ended up never being made, or some subscription scheme perhaps. Otherwise, buying Book 1 of a series doesn't entitle you to get Book 2 for free, so why would buying the whole existing collection entitle anyone to more than the stuff you've actually bought?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

a cartoon duck posted:

Gonna be honest, I'm just glad it'll be concluded in some capacity. At this point I kinda figured it would be unceremoniously cancelled and that's that.

My thoughts exactly. I've been expecting CQ to get put on indefinite hiatus or outright canceled for a while now, so I'm happy that Gigi is going to put the rest of the story out there.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/1164325163720036352

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Guess we'll never know, Ggdg.

I wonder if Netflix would ever pick this thing up and do an animated show like Cannon Busters got.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So since this got bumped up, would anyone be interested in the Noisemaster/Mutemaster poster that got sent out for Kickstarter backers? I just need room on the wall for other stuff in our office. I'll just ask for the money to ship it if anyone wants it.

Also, I just now noticed that Caboodle's daughter's gun is a mouse, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sure, what would be cost shipped to 93030?