Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Today is the one year anniversary of Cucumber Quest, which sounds like a good excuse to post a thread for it. Why not!

Cucumber Quest is a fantastically pretty, cute, and funny comic webcomic by Gigi Digi. It follows Cucumber, a conscientious and unfortunately-genre-savvy young rabbit who just wants to go to Puffington's Academy for the Magically Gifted and/or Incredibly Wealthy and learn magic.

Unfortunately for him, fate/his dad suddenly have had different plans, as he is now instead on a journey to retrieve The Dream Sword and become The Legendary Hero so as to save the world of Dreamside from the timeless evil of the Nightmare Knight. Oh no!

At least it'll look good on his resume.

The comic has a really great aesthetic; Gigi Digi uses a really unique and beautiful art style, often mixing in other styles (and mediums) for effect. She even uses paper cut-outs on occasion!

See, Cucumber Quest is basically a love letter to the saccharine and silly fantasy universes of Paper Mario and Kirby, in both style and substance. It's incredibly light, but not necessarily kiddy. It's very general audience; if you have any sort of soul you will find it quite endearing and funny!

Cucumber Quest has a pretty fantastic cast, which you can learn more about on the character page, though I'd recommend just jumpin' in and not spoiling yourself (not that it really matters). I'd just like to say that Cabbage is kind of the best?

Some of you nerds may recognize Gigi Digi's style, as she the artist who ran the 'hiimdaisy' blog that produced a whole lot of video game related fancomics. They are also good.

List o' Links
It is a good webcomic.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smooglii
Feb 22, 2011

Battle stations!

Page 57 posted:

What is this? It's a Cucumber Quest fan game in the style of the Ace Attorney series illustrated by HelloWinter and written and programmed by myself, with a little help from some others including forums user LordAndrew.

It's more or less the length of an average first case in the Ace Attorney series. Click the screen or use the space bar to advance text, double-click evidence to present it.

The game does trip firewalls because it technically accesses the Internet when it is launched, but don't worry; it's not required (if you run it without a connection you can click "no" on a prompt and it will work) and nothing is being collected. The reason is that it is made in BYOND, an engine designed for multiplayer games and probably one of the least efficient things that this could have been made in. But hey, it was fun!

Download the DS resolution-size version here or the double-size version here!

I love Cucumber Quest to pieces. Pieces which I want to eat, because they are sweet and sugary. Just about every page has something adorable in it, and the characters are wonderful.

Smooglii fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 19, 2013

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I have been putting off reading this comic, but all those images in the OP have pushed me over the brink. Archive binge begins now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is an amazing comic, one of my top three webcomics. And that's saying a lot because I've been into webcomics for more than a decade. That's a horrible thing to admit about myself. Cucumber Quest is great anyway :colbert:.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I started reading this about a month ago and I really liked it. A good mix of humour and a really nice, bright, art style make it a unique and amazing read.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Smooglii posted:

One correction, though -- Gigi was never known as "hiimdaisy", that was the name of the livejournal she posted her comics on.

Whoops! I will fix that. I just assumed, rather mistakenly. I suppose this is the kind of thing that got people wondering who Miss Paint Adventure was way back.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
This webcomic is amazing, and everybody should read it. But before you do, you should know that Gigi also draws amazing sonic fanart.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
Reading the most recent updates made me want to play Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga again. Everything is just so happy and colourful :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love this comic. I've read Gigi's stuff since back when she was making Ace Attorney comics, and I was really pleased to see her start her own original comic last year.

One of my favorite little things about the CQ is the character page Zorak mentioned. It's a clever and funny way to present the characters.

We don't talk about Bacon.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
And done. Wow, that was pretty amazing. Someone needs to draw Bacon and Boxbot hanging out together.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cuco's jerkface dad is the best and this comic owns. Everyone should read it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Yay! As celebration, here's a fanart that got posted on tumblr a few weeks back of the cast in Paper Mario style!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jewel posted:

Yay! As celebration, here's a fanart that got posted on tumblr a few weeks back of the cast in Paper Mario style!

Wow this is basically perfect.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Cucumber Quest is my favorite comic to just look at, ignore the words, and just LOOK AT IT next to Lackadaisy.

Also I'm not sure what to make of Nautie half the time. Sometimes I wonder if she's even really the princess!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The art style of Cucumber Quest is absolutely gorgeous, which was the main draw for me. Add in the fact that the plot/characters are amazing, and you've got a wonderful webcomic. I would definitely buy this comic in book form.

Almond is my favorite so far just because of how pumped she is to have an adventure.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Cucumber Quest is one of my favorite comics. The one liners below the comic are really good even though she just comes up with them on the spot when uploading. Apparently she's planning on having a book, but the comments won't be in them :(

quote:

When (if?) the Cucumber Quest books are printed, will you find a way to incorporate your commentary one-liners at the bottom of the pages? The story just wouldn’t be the same without it

I’ve been asked this a few times, and I’m a little surprised that the author’s comments are so well-liked considering that they’re all afterthoughts. Really, I come up with those on the spot when I’m uploading each page just so that the “comment” box has something in it.

I’m glad people like them so much! But I don’t have any plans to put them in the book. Including them at this point would mean reformatting all of the pages I’ve already put together, but the bigger issue is that I just think they’d be out of place. I mentioned this on twitter, but when I imagine a printed book with sarcastic one-liners on every single page, it makes me cringe a little bit.

So…I’m sorry, and I hope you understand! I want the CQ book to be the best I can make it, and I feel like this is the way to go.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

And whaddya know! This was just posted by Gigi on tumblr.

gigidigi.tumblr.com posted:

This is technically an old sketch I just touched up, but I wanted to post ~something~ for Cucumber Quest’s one-year anniversary. I’m happy to have made it this far!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also I'm not sure what to make of Nautie half the time. Sometimes I wonder if she's even really the princess!

Uh, come on pal, she has the Royal Instrument of Summoning and everything. What more proof do you need?

I didn't realize that Cucumber Quest has already been out a year. I guess it can't remain my favorite "new" webcomic forever, but I think it'll always be a favorite in general. If/when this goes to print, I'll definitely get a copy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Nthing how fantastic the art for this comic is. I hope everyone caught Cuke Nukem on the first!

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

As has been mentioned in the thread earlier, Gigi's use of colour is absolutely fantastic. She mentioned she was working on a published print of the comic not long ago. I will definitely be per-ordering it when I can. The story has the perfect blend of unaware and self aware characters.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Has it already been a year? Time flies if you're reading an awesome webcomic, kind of wish I still had my old avatar now. Kuriga-san, why did you make me change it?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

CuQu is just so good :allears:

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
There's nothing I don't love about Cucumber Quest. It's been fantastic since it started and is now number 2 on my list of "must buy the book[s] when I have money" list, even though there's no actual book yet.

Oh god, I just noticed the character page. :swoon:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Every new thing I see about this comic just makes it even more amazing.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Cucumber Quest is one of my favourite comics right now. :3:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Smooglii posted:

I love Cucumber Quest to pieces. Pieces which I want to eat, because they are sweet and sugary. Just about every page has something adorable in it, and the use of colour is wonderful.

I usually care about the writing most in any story, but Cucumber Quest's art has me even more interested.
Some of the best color usage in current comics, probably the best in webcomics right now (its only real rival probably being Tiny Kitten Teeth?) Complex lighting is pulled off while still keeping a cartoony look, a pastel basis is used without letting the comic ever feel washed out, and the colors are so well balanced and distributed that the comic never feels like it needs linework.

I will never be as good at art as gigi digi.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

weavernaut posted:

Cucumber Quest is one of my favourite comics right now. :3:

It's good to know all fabulous people love Cucumber Quest, as it is pretty fabulous itself :v:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The art style is great, but the writing and humor have my interest as well.

It's rare to get both of those in a webcomic, so thanks for sharing the link.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

One of the things I particularly love about Cucumber Quest is gigidigi finds a way to subtly improve and refine her already gorgeous art as the story progresses. I remember stumbling onto Cucumber Quest some time ago and thinking it was some bizarre homage to Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, initially. Anyway, CQ is totally awesome.

And if we're throwing in favorite character opinions, Cordelia is clearly the best. I mean really...

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 4, 2012

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Space-Bird posted:

And if we're throwing in favorite character opinions, Cordelia is clearly the best. I mean really...

I don't see Cordelia Getting Paid. :colbert:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Space-Bird posted:

Peridot Supremacy. :colbert:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ironic Twist posted:

Peridot Supremacy. :colbert:

Best brat in a webcomic versus best cackling bunny-eared mischief maker this side of Max? Not as an easy choice as you make it.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I don't have to be ashamed of all those years I spent reading terrible 'Hey, we're an RPG parody, because RPGs sure are silly!' comics anymore.

Because someone finally took that idea and made something actually good.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I don't have to be ashamed of all those years I spent reading terrible 'Hey, we're an RPG parody, because RPGs sure are silly!' comics anymore.

Because someone finally took that idea and made something actually good.

Once we get past the lovely color theory, the painted look, and the adorable character design, this is my favorite part of Cucumber Quest. Everything about the hokey RPG concept taken to its logical extreme.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I kept wondering if they were going to comically ignore or comically address the fact that the Disaster Stones are right there

I was not disappointed :allears:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, I now really want to track down Princess Tomato and actually finish the game.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Cucumber Quest is clearly the best

snucks posted:

I will never be as good at art as gigi digi.

Bonne Fête Job Dog is the best also so maybe you should SHUT UP

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Saw this on the main-pages Popular Threads sidebar, clicked, read through the entire set in one sitting. Thank you for making this thread.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I was skeptical at first because although it kept pointing out the stupid RPG cliches the protagonist went along with them anyway, but then Almond busted in and kicked the BLT's asses. And then she gave the Disaster Stone to the bad guy. Best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My absolute favorite aspect of CQ are the homages to Paper Mario 2. I know it's harping on RPGs in general, but she's said that TTYD was a huge inspiration for her and it's my favorite game of all time as well, so I love the aspects of that game that I can pick up in this comic.