Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Squids got a good point Nightmare Knight, can't fault him for that.

Splashmaster is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So would saving a Queen be a step up on the hero scale from saving a princess?

I'm trying to figure out where Almond's at right now.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So would saving a Queen be a step up on the hero scale from saving a princess?

I'm trying to figure out where Almond's at right now.

I'd say it would be a step up, but not as high on the list as saving a Magical Princess. Though Cucumber didn't really save anyone, so much as return her cellphoneRoyal Instrument of Summoning.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You can just hear the irritation in the Nightmare Knight's words.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So the Kickstarter just past 35k. And the 45k incentive is something cool.

"If we reach $45,000, Cucumber Quest will regularly update three days a week from July to December 2012."

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So the Kickstarter just past 35k. And the 45k incentive is something cool.

"If we reach $45,000, Cucumber Quest will regularly update three days a week from July to December 2012."

Aw naw she din't.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
OK, now she's actively trying to make me go broke.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Well there's no way this could go wrong. Almond is the most heroic hero you can find.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

We can't see Almond's face, but she's probably giddy at the notion of someone calling her heroic.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What is this comic's update schedule, specifically?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

What is this comic's update schedule, specifically?

Wednesdays and Sundays with bonus updates whenever GGDG feels like it.

Smooglii
Feb 22, 2011

Battle stations!
"Wednesdays and Sundays" meaning "Wednesdays and Sundays in whatever time zone lets them be put up earlier". In practice, it's normally Tuesday and Saturday afternoons.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Two page update!

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/?webcomic_post=page-170

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Poor Almond, that feeling of being called a hero didn't last long at all, did it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh Almond, your pal Splashmaster still thinks you're a hero! And he's a Limbo King. Gotta respect that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm starting to get the feeling that Nightmare Knight is, like Cucumber, terribly genre-savvy.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
If he were he'd crush Almond in the palm of his hand this second.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
The Kickstarter is almost at $40,000, so we'll get an exclusive short story.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, I wouldn't call him genre savvy. Almost the opposite, really. He's just... understated. And playing straight man to everyone else.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, he just sort of showed up in a much less serious world than he had expected.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, he just sort of showed up in a much less serious world than he had expected.

It would be awesome if he and Cuco bonded a little over this.

"You met my sister, huh."

"Yes."

"Were you expecting this whole adventure to be a little less..."

"Silly?"

"Mm-hm."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
$40,021
PLEDGED OF $9,750 GOAL

Passed another checkpoint.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Megazver posted:

Aw naw she din't.

New update:

quote:

And if we reach $50,000, Cucumber Quest will update four times a week from July to December 2012!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Update goal got changed to $55,000 for the 4 a week update.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds awesome. I kind of wonder how she plans on sustaining that sort of output though :ohdear:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Tollymain posted:

That sounds awesome. I kind of wonder how she plans on sustaining that sort of output though :ohdear:

She already keeps around a ~17 page buffer, I think? So I think she can do it! She is good at this stuff.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Tollymain posted:

It's not like it's just a reward to the fans for giving her money. I doubt the goals are chosen at random. She's basically saying 'if I get this much money, I'll be pretty set on funds for a while, and will be able to focus on the comic instead of on all those other things I used to do to, y'know, make sure I have food and a home and stuff'.

Depending on what she did for money before this, it might actually be way less stressful.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, if she has a day job, she might be able to quit at this point and focus 100% on her art and basically do whatever she wants, which is the dream goal of most artists.

I'm sure she can do it now that she's raised nearly five times as much as she set out to make and clearly has a dedicated fanbase willing to chip in financial support. If her book gets significantly enhanced by all this extra money and she can market and distribute it on a larger scale, she could be done working regular jobs from here on out, which would be great!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tea-San needs to do something like this already. I want to give him money. :(

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Well get that international version of kickstarter going and we'll be in business.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well get that international version of kickstarter going and we'll be in business.

Kickstarter is not the only crowdfunding site in existence. Indiegogo, Rockethub and Ulule all support non-US projects. Yeah, they're not as big as Kickstarter so the money from people randomly browsing the Comics section of the site will be smaller, but let's be honest, how big a share of the donors can that be? The vast majority of the money will come from people who already read Gunnerkrigg Court.

PS There's a table with comparison of the options that these sites offer over here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6369/the_crowdfunding_revolution_.php?print=1

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Megazver posted:

He'd get $150,000 and then donate it all to charity. He's like a Buddhist monk or something.

$55,000 is an above average salary for a year, so having a full-time update schedule at that goal seems pretty reasonable. Plus, updating that frequently would get her more views and more cashmoney.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

QueerPope posted:

He'd get $150,000 and then donate it all to charity. He's like a Buddhist monk or something.

$55,000 is an above average salary for a year, so having a full-time update schedule at that goal seems pretty reasonable. Plus, updating that frequently would get her more views and more cashmoney.

Though, bear in mind that a significant portion of that goes to actually getting books printed and shipped.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Man, I just can't stand seeing Splashmaster upset.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Man, I just can't stand seeing Splashmaster upset.

Me neither. The poor guy's just trying his best, and he did manage to capture the most heroic of our heroes and a fatter older princess.

Courtesy link of the strip in question.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Poor, poor Splashmaster. :(

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, the kickstarter just passed 45k. Looks like Cucumber Quest is going to be a three update a week comic for the last six months of this year. Hurray!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, the kickstarter just passed 45k. Looks like Cucumber Quest is going to be a three update a week comic for the last six months of this year. Hurray!
And if she gets $55k, it'll be four days a week! :dance:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
More legendary hero's should check in with their mothers during the quest. It's just being considerate, since parents do worry.

I think my favorite part of this update is Nautilus lounging in the background.

Edit: Wait a minute, is Bagel's cellphone a candybar?

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
I hate these pages that end with the characters in the middle of a