Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I've been following Cucumber Quest since the prologue (specifically, when I started reading the most recent page was Cucumber talking to his Dad about the magic stones and why he had to get the dream sword when the stones were right there.) and I have to say it has been my favorite webcomic consistently. Not a single moment does the art get lazy or does a joke fall flat. It is consistently beautiful in every way, and somehow updates really frequently.

Gigi Digi deserves to get paid for this. If a full-color Cucumber Quest book ever comes out, I'm snatching it up immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
God, every single piece of anything in Cucumber Quest looks deserving of being hung in the museum of fine art. Even those avatars separated from their pages look like masterpieces. How does Gigi get this all done so easily when it's all so astounding.

That Thomas Kinkade was famous and making loads of money while GigiDigi can't even make a living off her art, it's a travesty really.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Megazver posted:

Tea-San needs to do something like this already. I want to give him money. :(

He'd get $150,000 and then donate it all to charity. He's like a Buddhist monk or something.

$55,000 is an above average salary for a year, so having a full-time update schedule at that goal seems pretty reasonable. Plus, updating that frequently would get her more views and more cashmoney.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Heroes?! :aaa: What a shocking twist! So I'm guessing each hero got sent to a different one of the several beasts all believing they were the one true hero?

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
AAVE (or "ebonics") has a very specific phonological and grammatical structure. This can be settled using linguistic analysis

Here is some sample data of how Noisemaster speaks

(A). "Check it: my boy and me? Mad schemin' up in here! We got a plan so ill, it'll put you in a hospoital!"

(B). "Say what?! You know splash is wack, homie!"

(C). "Yooooo, ice cold! I'm tellin' you, man, it's all good!"

It's very similar to the grammar and morphology of AAVE (as codified by Fickett in 1972) but there are differences. Going in order of appearance. "It'll" in (A) is a contraction that wouldn't be found in AAVE according to Fickett. Since it contracts "it" and "will;" and "will" as a tense marker isn't found in AAVE. (Instead, the clitic "a-" is used. "I'm a-go over there." for the immediate future, and "gonna" is used for the indefinite future. "I'm a-gonna go over there" is for the post-indefinite or distant future. "Not now, but in a moment" would be used to make that distinction in Standard American English.)

Another difference is in the present tense, in (B) and (C). The present tense in AAVE is "[Subject] be [verb]in' [object]." Furthermore, the copula ("to be" words, to be distinguished from homphones used as part of tense marking) is often dropped in the present tense. So the present tense phrases in (B) and (C) would be "You be knowin' Splash is wack, homie!" and "I be tellin' you, man, it all good!" respectively.

Now, while this does mean that what Noisemaster is speaking isn't AAVE, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't intended to sound that way. A lot of "beastie boy" speak is often the product of white people trying to imitate AAVE. It could be that Gigi was intending it to be AAVE but simply didn't do research and ended up with "beastie-boy" speak by accident.

(edit: just to be clear, that last paragraph is just an attempt to sound impartial. I wouldn't have written a loving linguistics essay proving that he isn't speaking AAVE if I was still going to try and say that ggdg is being racist, like, really)

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I am ashamed of all of you :colbert:

But yeah I don't know why but "Rosemaster is lost princess" just liked popped into my head when reading this page and for some reason it just feels so right that it must happen.