Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Nightmare Knight doesn't have a mouth. Steve doesn't have eyes.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's going to turn out Cuco doomed the world with a giant bathtub drain.

Nah.

The Dream Oracle doomed the world by failing to properly inform her legendary hero.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drunk Theory posted:

So, if KN is dark and foreboding, but is really not into world conquest. Then Steve here is going to be the most goofball yet effective conqueror that Dreamside has ever seen.

Since Thebestmaster is not connected with any of the dream stones, there might be another six Disaster Masters associated with Steve as well.

I won't guess as to their effectiveness just yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Steve could totally pull off the terrible popped collar that Nightmare Knight had in his earlier designs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am tremendously excited to see where this goes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, an action plot needs an antagonist, that's just screenwriting 101.

If you're making a movie about how the dragons attacking your village are just misunderstood and we can totally get along with them, you need to end it with a big action climax in which you totally kill the poo poo out of the actually evil dragon commanding them.

Writing a twilight parody / zombie genre subversion in which the zombies retain human characteristics? Best include some zombier-zombies that the protagonists can dispatch as casually as zombies in a proper Romero flick.

And obviously what Cucumber Quest needs is an actually malign version of the Nightmare Knight. Duh.

I understand where you're coming from, but I 'm willing to give the artist the benefit of the doubt here.

I've had several concerns over how Gigi D.G. would handle certain situations in this comic. In particular: Rosemaster as a transgendered villain, Almond as a character who continually makes things worse for everybody, and most recently, Cucumber being magically made to crossdress.

However, in each case things were handled remarkably tactfully and were quite well resolved. Rosemaster's identity is in no way conflated with her status as an antagonist. Almond is called out on her behavior, actually recognizes the extent to which she damaged things, resolves to do better, and repairs her relationship with her brother afterwards. Cucumber being made to crossdress is not only not treated as a joke--the characters don't even recognized that it could be a joke.

Given all this, and the general trajectory of the comic, I extremely doubt the comic has introduced Steve simply as a prop for the heroes to remorselessly kill.

Steve is an aspect of the Nightmare Knight that he has apparently cut from himself and then hidden in a hole. The problem he represents can't be resolved with sword.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Update!

Steve and Besty are extremely cute and I am quite hyped to see them run roughshod over the world and all it's people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cavelcade posted:

So what are the odds that the line "All that remains is this husk longing for anther life." means that Steve is literally the part of himself that the Nightmare Knight hated and exised from himself?

I'm being conservative here, but I think 100% is a safe bet.

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit gently caress. If that's true, it means that NK's tiny feet are actually a loving plot point.

NK and Steve's body types are basically complete mirrors.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PMush Perfect posted:

The tiny feet jokes, the bathtub drain jokes... Gigi must have been seeing all the stupid jokes we've been making over the years and just cackling.

Finally, we can identify Gigi's self insert character.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gigi, please.

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/863457833404313601

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-830/

Big Steve is in the house.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For the record, by favorite part is where Nightmare Knight tries to be all intimidating for a panel and Peridot fails to notice.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think is likely that Steve is specifically the other guy, but neither Peridot or anyone besides Besty knows who that is, so KN would rather just keep the deception going.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
what the hell is this comic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Calaveron posted:

I've been having really awful nightmares where people post their entirely mundane and uninteresting dreams in forum webcomics threads what do you think it means

I'm no Freud, but it might indicate that you're a bitter killjoy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Or bait to provoke Nightmare Knight into reacting and potentially exposing himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samovar posted:

...but then he would actually be terrifying.

You say that, but clowns are tragically mortal in this series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Well, Nightmare Knight is about to undergo a major turn in his character arc, and possibly cease to be a villain altogether.

...so how is Steve going to turn this to his advantage?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-847/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Important:

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/896202807669170177

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The wand mix up hasn't ended. Cucumber still has the wrong wand.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood what was being said.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-850/

I hate to cuss in a thread for a children's webcomic, but seriously,

the gently caress?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gary Guardener.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kikas posted:

Hahah of course it's called that :allears:

Nightmare Knight is definitely a waifu now. It's official.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-851/

The Nightmare Knight is impressive and all, but let's not lose sight of our true enemy:

Gary.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The story has really lost direction.

Cucumber and co are still trying to defeat the DMs and collect autographs, right? Have we even seen the DM for the Crystal Kingdoms?

We've seen Glitchmaster cause havok, we've seen Thebestmaster set up plot points that will be important five years down the line, but the actual person our heroes are supposed to be pursuing is completely absent.

Are the Crystal Kingdom's even under attack?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samovar posted:

It could be the case it's not following the typical 'legend-hero-quest' since Cucumber (and N.K., a bit) are trying to actively dismantle it.

Hence, why Steve could be such a danger.

Cucumber seems receptive to dismantling it, and probably wants to dismantle it, but he's not actively going about dismantling it.

This is a reflection of the larger issue, which is Cucumber isn't actively doing anything, he mostly reacts to the circumstances and dangers around him. This was fine when there's a flashy, visible DM to aim him (and his friends) at, but now that there isn't it's become a real drag on the story.

It's kind of appropriate in a way. CQ is styled after older console RPGs (I think the Paper Mario's specifically?) and the story has finally reached the dull point in the middle.

Regy Rusty posted:

We've just been in the middle of another interlude just like has happened in between every chapter.

We're about to start chapter 5 and we'll be diving right into the Crystal Kingdom's problems and the disaster master so hold your horses

The interlude was Cucumber and co. being menaced by Glitchmaster, Nightmare Knight explaining his backstory to the Princess, and Saturday stealing the magic sword.

We're 75 pages into chapter 5 already, with the previous chapters being around 150 pages each.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Regy Rusty posted:

Chapter 4, titled "Mismastered" was about Thebestmaster and ended a bit ago. We are currently still in the interlude between that chapter and chapter 5 which has yet to start.

You're looking all the way back to the last interlude between 3 and 4.

Ah jeez, my mistake then.

That actually makes me think less of all this, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tupperwarez posted:

We're going to cut to the B team and it's just a full page shot of Quakemaster punching through Carrot's chest.

Close enough.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What are people upset about again?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

life_source posted:

gigi's giving us another rip roaring story involving a girl and a hideous one eyed abomination.

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/937413863821078528

The art is as gorgeous as ever but the actually story is so...

I'm honestly not really sure which word to use. Mawkish, maybe?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The bottom-of-the-comic text is tremendous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh right, the plot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
guessing Glaciermaster

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Wait, who's this grape fairy?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I guess I need to reread a whole lot, because I don't remember much of this.

Honestly, everything since the Flower Kingdom has seemed a little unfocused, with the exception of Steve.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The last panel is quite good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Quakemaster's whole thing seems to be draining hope. Demanding a payment that is unsustainable (and cracking down hard when people eventually fail to meet it) seems like as decent a way to accomplish that as any.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PMush Perfect posted:

I assume whatever happened to Rainmaster(?) is reversible, otherwise NK is a bit less sympathetic.

NK regularly destroys vasts swaths of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

The Oracle probably makes it look destroyed with an illusion or something.

NK shows a lot a grief and misery for just being something of an inconvenience.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 14, 2018