Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Today is the one year anniversary of Cucumber Quest, which sounds like a good excuse to post a thread for it. Why not!

Cucumber Quest is a fantastically pretty, cute, and funny comic webcomic by Gigi Digi. It follows Cucumber, a conscientious and unfortunately-genre-savvy young rabbit who just wants to go to Puffington's Academy for the Magically Gifted and/or Incredibly Wealthy and learn magic.

Unfortunately for him, fate/his dad suddenly have had different plans, as he is now instead on a journey to retrieve The Dream Sword and become The Legendary Hero so as to save the world of Dreamside from the timeless evil of the Nightmare Knight. Oh no!

At least it'll look good on his resume.

The comic has a really great aesthetic; Gigi Digi uses a really unique and beautiful art style, often mixing in other styles (and mediums) for effect. She even uses paper cut-outs on occasion!

See, Cucumber Quest is basically a love letter to the saccharine and silly fantasy universes of Paper Mario and Kirby, in both style and substance. It's incredibly light, but not necessarily kiddy. It's very general audience; if you have any sort of soul you will find it quite endearing and funny!

Cucumber Quest has a pretty fantastic cast, which you can learn more about on the character page, though I'd recommend just jumpin' in and not spoiling yourself (not that it really matters). I'd just like to say that Cabbage is kind of the best?

Some of you nerds may recognize Gigi Digi's style, as she the artist who ran the 'hiimdaisy' blog that produced a whole lot of video game related fancomics. They are also good.

List o' Links
It is a good webcomic.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Smooglii posted:

One correction, though -- Gigi was never known as "hiimdaisy", that was the name of the livejournal she posted her comics on.

Whoops! I will fix that. I just assumed, rather mistakenly. I suppose this is the kind of thing that got people wondering who Miss Paint Adventure was way back.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
There's now a Splashmaster power level card on the character page. He is super tough.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I was kind of expecting Nightmare Knight to get angry about it, but it's more that he just... doesn't give a poo poo. Which is cool?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I am pretty sure she's fled the scene so as to not be literally thrown over there as is going to now happen to Cucumber.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't get why Cucumber seems to be upset by all of this with the funny spells.

Maybe he expected magic to be rational and sensical? Hence him wanting to go there to get away from Weird Dad and Family.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Why yes, I was in fact hoping we'd get a couple updates in a row and what do you know??

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-299/
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-300/

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zereth posted:

Nightmare Knit is the chillest evil overlord I've ever seen.

Could be very well that he's not particularly into this, quite like Cucumber is. He's been stuck with the Evil Overlord lot in life, and he figures he might as well just do his best while he's in it. Who knoooooows until we get the eventual Nightmare Knight backstory thing.

Wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be not all that bad.

e: ALSO since we're three hundred pages in, any stuff people think should be added / changed in the OP to keep it relevant?

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 16, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pandaK posted:

The climax is Nightmare Knight removing his helmet to reveal an older Cucumber.

It's Cabbage. It's an elaborate scheme to Get Paid.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

HelloWinter posted:

What if Cucumber Quest... was anime?!

Twitter drawings I made tonight. Heavy Jojo and Sailor Moon reference

Cuco's Bizarre Adventure is pretty much all I want my life to be.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/426650035002961920

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Line Feed posted:

So is Cucumber Quest something that she's been kicking around in her head for a while?

I believe Gigi has said she's been thinking about since she was 13/14 or something like that.