Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently WD fired some writes that were writing "25% of the available work each month", which make me wonder if they were just submitting AI written articles and got caught. Then they said they saw a 75% decrease in submitted work. Articles have been very easy to grab since that happened, and now it's building up with a backlog of tasks.

WD seems to be focusing more on the 600 word articles that actually appear on their client's websites, and have a new format where you need to write an article about very specific topic.

I wonder if the 400 word blog spam stuff will go away one day. Those have been my go-to source for side gig income. This July will be 10 years working at Writers Domain, and I would be really sad if it went away. My dashboard says I've written over 16,000 articles for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy poo poo, how did you...like, what? 16k articles is insane.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

1,600 articles a year is pretty reasonable tbh, especially for sub-1K wordcount posts. 4-5x 600-word posts per day rounds out at around a million words a year, which I routinely hit before I dialed back a bit. Depending on the topic I could do that in an hour, two tops.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm not understanding what this is. I'm looking at the site but I don't get what people would be writing for.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Magnetic North posted:

I'm not understanding what this is. I'm looking at the site but I don't get what people would be writing for.

Money; it's in the thread title.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You know how when you Google search for anything right now there are like 5-20 results that have a few paragraphs of bullshit about it and maybe, if you're lucky, a good tip somewhere near the end? It's that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gologle posted:

Holy poo poo, how did you...like, what? 16k articles is insane.

These things take like 10-15 minutes to do for each one (edit: though I'll admit, at first it took me 45 minutes each to figure out what the heck they wanted) with a goal to write 4-5 per day. Usually that was all the amount of work you could grab in a day when it was available. Now it's just there at all times this past month or so. My brain still hurts after writing about 5 before I tap out though, I just can't do anymore than that

The 400 word articles are a breeze. The 600 word ones are more difficult and are scrutinized more because they go on actual client websites. It takes me twice as long to write them and they pay twice as much, but I'd just rather do the 400 word ones because my brain goes on auto pilot these days when I write them.

I work for about an hour and make $75 a day. Just writing articles that go into blogs that nobody ever reads except some some Google bot to rank websites. For 10 loving years. It was enough for me to pay off my house in full after 7 years.

I know I could probably make more finding my own clients, but nothing beats the zero commitment that comes with doing this along with another job

Magnetic North posted:

It's junk like these. These look like keywords for Roofing, Roofers, commercial roofers, roof repair... that's all you really have to go off of. Come up with 400 words about a topic and meet their formatting requirements.

https://realestatelistinghound.com/

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 22, 2023

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
For the past four years, I've been earning the bulk of my income writing for Crowd Content. I was on something called a "managed team" for a major client in the long-term care industry. I only had to work 2 to 3 hours on the team per day to make ends meet, so the pay was good. Well, that's all over. I've been kicked from the project because a QA person felt I was not meeting quality standards. I got solid ratings and feedback from the client and editors since 2019, but without warning, I'm done. I don't know if I want to continue pursuing this type of writing work or branch out into a different career. Like Astro, I really liked the low friction of mill work. I'm not sure it's viable for me anymore though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah. The Writer's Domain onsite blogs are sent back for revision more for really stupid reasons and I hate it. And it's just not worth the risk to do a lot of them, because if you get 5 revision requests in 30 days they flag you for poor writing and potentially deactivate your account. Even though I can churn out 120 blog spams per month with no issue.

I pretty much just write enough of them to keep the qualification to write them, so if the 400 word blog spam goes away I have SOMETHING I can at least do for side money,

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Are transcription outfits still a thing? Want to get back into that to bring in a bit extra, but I know Daily Transcription seems to be full and HR doesn't check their emails over there.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Shima Honnou posted:

Are transcription outfits still a thing? Want to get back into that to bring in a bit extra, but I know Daily Transcription seems to be full and HR doesn't check their emails over there.

It's the worst time possible to try to get back in; the writer's strike has really killed workloads for most outfits. Also there's been a ton of consolidation, some companies have had problems making payroll, at at least one of the big names collapsed and shut down entirely (and I think left people owed money).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Cool, good to know. I've started talks with some kind of thing with some place called SageFrog, but I think they're some low-tier marketing place and I don't think they have any clue what transcription actually is because they're talking about poo poo like customer relations management and call center software so I'm probably gonna back away from that.

Which big name collapsed? I did see CaptionMax doesn't exist anymore but I remember when I dipped out they seemed like they were on the way out already and that was years back.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
They got bought by 3Play right around the time I left last year. I think they may be hiring transcribers but I’m not sure if that is constrained to their cloud subtitling software or not.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Transcript Divas. They're a UK outfit that had a US branch, and I did some work for them over the last year. They started getting super flaky with payments, and then stopped paying out altogether and put up a notice on their site they weren't accepting new jobs until June. Fortunately, I'd just managed to get my last invoices paid out, but I know a few people I was interacting with that were owed money at that point; when I went back to the site earlier this month it was gone. The UK site is still there but says they hire UK transcribers only.

Captionmax got bought by 3Play, yeah. I was on the rolls there, and they said I needed to apply to 3Play, but apparently I applied there sometime in the dark ages and so any time I put in my email address it just says "we already received your application and we'll get back to you once it's processed".

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

Transcript Divas. They're a UK outfit that had a US branch, and I did some work for them over the last year. They started getting super flaky with payments, and then stopped paying out altogether and put up a notice on their site they weren't accepting new jobs until June. Fortunately, I'd just managed to get my last invoices paid out, but I know a few people I was interacting with that were owed money at that point; when I went back to the site earlier this month it was gone. The UK site is still there but says they hire UK transcribers only.

Captionmax got bought by 3Play, yeah. I was on the rolls there, and they said I needed to apply to 3Play, but apparently I applied there sometime in the dark ages and so any time I put in my email address it just says "we already received your application and we'll get back to you once it's processed".

Seconding the Transcript Divas, although the UK branch just got a new PM. The Canadian arm is not currently hiring. There's work but all pay and HR decisions are done by the owner so it can get pretty flaky unfortunately, but it's not a sign of the times, apparently he's just always been that way.

Other than that yeah some transcription gigs still exist, didn't hear about Captionmax. 3Play does a lot of poo poo so it's not surprising. I think they're the big name in videogame captioning right now. I remember seeing their slides everywhere. Whcih you can break into with certain firms but they like Aegis. It was fun! I think everyone is just waiting to see what happens with AI. Especially all the firms that have been touting humans for years. I think our time is nearing an end. :(

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Fortunately, there's still going to be a market for captions and transcripts that are actually correct, at least for a while yet. :)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got my first plagiarism warning being a little bit too lazy with rewording from Chat GPT 😬

I've been pretty good for the past few months, and then got progressively more relaxed about it to see what would pass. I guess I never considered the possibility of ChatGPT spitting out a very similar article and someone else doing the same thing as me. The content that was duplicate was like... laid out in the same order, but one section had a direct lift of a sentence I am pretty sure I did not rewrite.

I guess this is a lesson learned that even though ChatGPT is not pulling stuff from the web, it's pulling it from somewhere any other people can be putting it on the web.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

ChatGPT just picks words by what are statistically likely to be in a given order. That's its whole point, to use statistics to make something human-sounding by studying an immense body of human-written work. The more people who use it, and the more similar the topics and prompts are, the more likely its output is to be substantially similar.

That's also going to be an increasingly relevant problem for content mills as more and more people saturate more and more common topics with GPT-written dreck, because there's no real history of what it has created being re-added to its corpus (as far as I know?) and even if there is, pure uniqueness is pretty far down on its list of priorities.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The thing is that it doesn't matter if content mills are over saturated with the same common topics. It just needs to look like original content to Google. St least for this blog spam stuff nobody reads

From an ideation standpoint, ChatGPT is amazing. I can write about dentist or roofer all day long because I've written about every possible topic dozens of times. But when you get the oddball keyword and you know nothing about, you literally just say "Give me 10 blog topic ideas for ____" and then you pick one and say "Give me an outline for an article about Idea #4". And the guts are there, and you just need to flesh it out in the style that the content mill likes. And that easily cuts my time in half on these.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Astro7x posted:

The thing is that it doesn't matter if content mills are over saturated with the same common topics. It just needs to look like original content to Google. St least for this blog spam stuff nobody reads

Right, but as those content mills poo poo out more and more GPT content, that content gets indexed, making more of it less and less original. Whether or not people read it doesn't matter as much if it's indexed and Google reads it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Nighthand posted:

Right, but as those content mills poo poo out more and more GPT content, that content gets indexed, making more of it less and less original. Whether or not people read it doesn't matter as much if it's indexed and Google reads it.

The feedback loop is going to be interesting. All output converges to one bland as gently caress paragraph, probably a listicle.

They really need original content to feed into the gaping maw in order to keep it fresh. But don't want to pay for it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i kind of thought the content mills would have exploded on contact with chatgpt. there's still orders going around for it?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I figured Google would have added “likely written by AI” scoring to its search algorithm by now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There are a few detectors out there

https://openai-openai-detector--f4d78.hf.space/
https://www.zerogpt.com/
https://revealai.streamlit.app/

When I rewrite something made by AI, it typically says its written by a real person.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
how extensive are your rewrites?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sometimes I've rewritten the whole thing, using the AI generated article as an outline. Other times I use it as a base and try to switch something around in each sentence. Honestly, both methods take equally as long to do. Clearly leaving entire sentences as is can be problematic.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ha, well I guess this was expected.

Goodbye Writers Domain. I got my first payout almost exactly 10 years ago today.

quote:

Dear Writers,

As some of you have noticed, we’ve started making some changes to our processes and workflows. We have begun staffing an internal team to write some of the blogs that would usually go to WritersDomain. This team completed about 5% of July’s available tasks.

We anticipate transitioning a larger amount of work away from the traditional WritersDomain workflow and to these internal employees over the coming months. These in-house employees will use proprietary workflows, processes, and tasks management as well as a rapidly expanding list of available AI technology. We would like to continue to work with writers through this transition. In coming months there will still be work available in WritersDomain, but it will be less than has been seen previously.

From its inception, WritersDomain has been a big part of the success we’ve had over the past decade. It has allowed our parent company to grow into one of the largest SEO firms serving small businesses in the world.

We understand that this is not a welcome direction for most writers, even if it is not unanticipated news in the age of generative AI, rising costs, and more competitive business landscapes. There are many talented writers on WritersDomain. Please know this change isn’t a reflection of the overall quality of work or consistency, both of which have been appreciated and mutually beneficial. Your contribution has been essential to help us achieve success for thousands of small businesses and you have our sincere appreciation. This decision stems from our ongoing efforts to streamline operations and deliver quality results for our customers.

Very fortunate that this is just a side gig and I don't depend on it for my primary source of income like some people. Wondering if I should just stop this side gig stuff all together or find something new. I don't think I can justify anything that pays less at this point, since it's just not worth my time

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
And I found the job posting.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk...erp%26sameQ%3D1

$15/hr to rewrite AI content. I was making $45-$60/hr doing the same thing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Thanks for making us successful, idiots, now gently caress off lmao"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Gologle posted:

"Thanks for making us successful, idiots, now gently caress off lmao"

That's capitalism baby.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They did post an update today after the reaction to basically being fired.

quote:

Hi all! I’ve been able to gather some additional information from the team running this project to share with you. Here’s what I know:

For now this AI team is working almost exclusively on articles. The majority of onsite blogs will continue to be fulfilled through WritersDomain. If you’d like to have onsite blog permissions added to your account, you can email support@writersdomain.net. We only allow people who have no recent warnings on their account to gain additional permissions, and your quality must be consistent.

This new AI team is an ongoing project and they’re taking on work as their staffing level allows. Right now the project goal is to have all standard articles brought in-house by October to December. You should still see drops of work in WritersDomain at least until then.

I’ll continue to update as I learn more.

So the $15 400 word articles that nobody ready because they go on generic word press blogs are all going to be AI written. The $30 600 word onsite blogs that go on actual client websites will continue to be written by real people.

That's better than I thought it would be. Not like there is a ton of those tasks out there now, but I can at least pretty consistently grab one a day if I wanted to.

Now hoping I don't get banned because of all the rushed BS I submitted this morning because I decided to just put in the lowest effort possible. haha

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Fun update.

They have in house staff generating AI articles currently. What they are doing is basically taking the daily drop of work that would go to the WFH writers like me and giving it to the staff. Anything that they don't write is released to the WFH Writers the next day. The work is much less than it was before, but still a decent amount posted each day.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
New Update!

They’ve told the writers that they are no longer offering the $15 400 word blog spam articles as of September 1st. A month earlier than they told us originally. They’ve also fired the staff coordinator as well who was supposed to remain until October 1st

They are still offering the 600 word $30 articles though. You’ll be lucky if you can grab 1 or 2 of those a day though.

Honestly, I went all in with AI this month since the announcement. I’ve literally generated an article, ran it through copyscape, and then submitted it with minimal changes. So far I’ve made 3.5x as much as I typically do in a month, and only been putting in about an hour of work per day. I’ve submitted 435 articles with about 70 pending review.

This will be my severance package from this hellscape. I only wish I did this earlier, but with no risk of losing my account, gently caress it!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As this naturally is the thread more geared around earning money, hence working for other companies, I was wondering if there was a thread on SA more geared to using the blogging platforms like WordPress itself. I tried CC and SHSC but nothing jumped out, possibly as it's not the most active thread. One has to exist right?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

There was a blogging thread a number of years ago but it's such a saturated industry, and social media condensed so much of internet traffic into a few non-blog sites, that at this point that it's pretty hard to get traction and monetize in any significant way anymore.

Depending on what you wanted to ask or talk about I could see discussions ending up in tech threads or creative threads or here, who knows. But yeah I don't think there's an active general blogging discussion thread anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, had a feeling that was the case. I’m just scratching a creative itch with the help from a friend, so money is really at the bottom of the list of priorities - the market is definitely oversaturated with generated content churned out for impressions and referrals. I just wanna write about some crap I like and if anyone ends up reading it, then neat. The technical side of my brain also wants to take it beyond the 30 minute YouTube tutorials that teach you nothing couldn’t work out yourself in the same timeframe, and the one Udemy thing I started to watch that was even worse than that. Seeing what other people on here use with regards to plugins, themes etc would be neat.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Here is one of the old threads in archives, last post 2017 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447030

I haven't done much in the past three years due to toddler (and trying to get https to work which just will not for some stupid reason) but at some point google ads starting sending me automated content violation emails every few days, all of which I suspect are bunk but I'm too busy and lazy to check.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

The technical side of my brain also wants to take it beyond the 30 minute YouTube tutorials that teach you nothing couldn’t work out yourself in the same timeframe,

I want to know how much this guy makes

https://www.youtube.com/@HelpfulDIY/videos

He just churns out tons and tons of stupid simple videos on how to do things on a daily basis. No editing, no graphics, and the vast majority about incredibly obvious things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXsNTtAibqc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here is one of the old threads in archives, last post 2017 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447030

I haven't done much in the past three years due to toddler (and trying to get https to work which just will not for some stupid reason) but at some point google ads starting sending me automated content violation emails every few days, all of which I suspect are bunk but I'm too busy and lazy to check.

Ah nice, despite the age I’m sure I can pick up some useful stuff from that. Thanks!

https used to be the bane of my existence, when it wasn’t such a common thing I’d try to set it up anyway and generating keys and entering certificates based on other people’s instructions that never really line up with my setup and always turned what seemed to be a simple thing into a pain in the butt. I’m glad that cpanel now does this all automatically through AutoSSL and you just basically tell any software you run to default to https over http and it just works. How it always should’ve been!

Astro7x posted:

I want to know how much this guy makes

https://www.youtube.com/@HelpfulDIY/videos

He just churns out tons and tons of stupid simple videos on how to do things on a daily basis. No editing, no graphics, and the vast majority about incredibly obvious things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXsNTtAibqc

I swear I was totally hoping for him to just literally tell you how to use a mirror. I bet this kind of content has broken his brain though, and probably can’t even walk past a pen without automatically going into ‘explaining how it works’ mode mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
dataannotation.tech

Been doing work on here for a few weeks now and feel comfortable recommending it as legitimate. It's owned by a VC-backed AI company (Surge AI, although that name is meaningless to me) so they've got a lot of money, for now anyway.

Work is paid hourly. Timekeeping is self-reported. It takes 1 week after reporting your time to get paid, and you can cash out via PayPal every 3 days. No taxes taken out, you're a 1099.

There are non-coding ($20/hour) and coding ($40/hour) related work. I only do the coding related work. There is enough work that I've been able to work whenever I want, for however long I want.

What's the job?

Most of the work involves rating conversations between humans and chatbots or being the human that generates these conversations. I only work on coding projects so the focus is on rating the chatbots on code correctness or asking them to generate code. You will need to verify that the code works, does what the user wants, and if the chatbot "explains" the code you need to verify it's factually correct.

I recently got a third type of project that pays higher where I'm rating other raters. Basically if someone rates a chatbot response as having correct code or explanations and it's actually not, then there's a button I "need" to press to flag that user for review.

Time commitment ?

On average one "task" takes me 10-15 minutes, and the open ended chatbot ones I report 30+ minutes per back and forth conversation. I do this while watching tv and honestly I’m thinking of doing wfh more often at my 9-5 just to get more money while the VCs are still lighting money on fire.

You're encouraged to take as much time as needed "within reason". They give one example saying that it is not unreasonable to spend up to 2 hours to set up a custom dev environment and to compile needed libraries.

You're also told to report time you spend reading and reviewing the rules and instruction.

Programming languages?

There are a lot of Python. I also see a lot of JavaScript, C++, C# and occasionally C. I suspect this is because I chose those languages as what I know. You won't be writing code, but you'll need to be able to run and debug and fix code.

Complexity ranges from rating which chatbot produced a better hello world code, to "here is 100s of lines of MPI parallelized C code it’s broken fix it".

It's a pretty sweet gig, and easy as gently caress if you know a bit of Python and can read and write coherent English. The average task is just copying and pasting code into my IDE and seeing if it runs, and fixing it when it doesn’t, and then writing up a paragraph explaining my rating.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 16, 2024