Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

For me, Inqscribe was the way and the light, man. :)

The only major issues are a) it's not free and b) it works best with Quicktime-based files, so you'll want to get something like Handbrake or Jodix Free Ipod Video Converter to turn .mpgs, .avis and .wmvs into .mp4s for best results. Also, instead of transcribing directly into the Word document, you'll be transcribing into essentially a plain-text file which you'll then copy and paste into the document, so occasionally you'll have to do a bit of format cleanup on the back end (and those three-column technical as-broadcasts will become virtually impossible). But for their standard format, it works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Hey transcriptionists, recommendations on headphones and a pedal? I'm about to wrap up a big contract and looking at ways to bridge the gap to my next one and I've never minded doing transcription when I've done it before. Or failing that, anything in particular to look for in headphones? I have a pair that I really like but they have a lot of low end and bass response, dunno if that's good or not.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 24, 2012

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

For a pedal, most transcriptionists tend to go with the Infinity IN-USB-2. At $55, it's a pretty reasonable value. I've got an older IN-USB-1 myself, and it's been rock solid since I got started in the business. As for headphones, audio quality and closed-ear cans are key. Lots of bass can be a problem -- usually when audio is lovely, it's lovely because there's too much bass -- but you might be able to adjust for that with an equalizer. Sound isolation is the biggest thing, though, if they'll cut out some of the ambient noise that's about 80% of what you're looking for. Right now I'm using a set of Sony MDR-XD200s (after my beloved set of Plantronics cans failed on me); they have a switch on each earpiece to go from "music" to "movie" mode (plays with the bass levels) and they've been passable.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 24, 2012

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Paul Coffey posted:

I have some videos on YouTube that are getting some views, and now different people like Fullscreen and Machinima want me to go on their "networks". I've googled around for "diaries" of people who did this and can't find too much... does anyone know about these people?

I know a guy who does this. I'm not sure what networks he is affiliated with but he makes pretty good money, enough that it is his primary source of income right now.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Thanks, kazmeyer.

Nexus42
Jul 5, 2003

Sorry for the Inconvenience
This has been a helpful thread, thank you. I started writing for Textbroker recently. However, I am very slow at it. It can take me 2 hours to write 400 words. I choose topics that should be easy to research, but this still happens.

Does anyone have any recommendations and how to research a topic and write on it faster without compromising on quality too much?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nexus42 posted:

This has been a helpful thread, thank you. I started writing for Textbroker recently. However, I am very slow at it. It can take me 2 hours to write 400 words. I choose topics that should be easy to research, but this still happens.

Does anyone have any recommendations and how to research a topic and write on it faster without compromising on quality too much?

Practice, really. The more you do and get used to it, the faster you become.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)

Nexus42 posted:

You have to realize that at 1.4 cents/word they're not paying you enough to do more than cursory research. If something looks like it's going to take more than 20 minutes to research and write, I just move on.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Textbroker doesn't usually check cites or anything. I'm not saying write anything wrong, but you don't really have to do academic-level legwork. I stick with fields I know or that are pretty easy to bullshit (cars, for example, have a lot of articles that are pretty much "Buy a <make> <model> from <client>. Did you know the <make> <model> gets excellent gas mileage?" etc. etc.). It also helps if you can grab a bunch of similar ones. As an example, I had a day where I pretty much poopsocked the Honda website writing 300 word blurbs about Honda vehicles for a bunch of different car dealerships, so once I knew a smattering about each model, I could crank things out.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Nexus42 posted:

Do you type like obscenely slowly?

A cursory google should net you what people want to say about the THING in 1 to 5 minutes, with 10 at the absolute outside.

Going from dead 0 knowledge on a topic, literally not knowing wtf it actually is, to 500 competent words has never taken me more than an hour. And after that you should be able to do more things on a similar topic in significantly less time.

Nexus42
Jul 5, 2003

Sorry for the Inconvenience
Thank you everyone for the responses. It looks like my main problem was researching too deeply.

Where can I find a sample of the article style? I have just been guessing, and it looks like it has lead to doing a lot more work than required.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Anybody done any writing work for these guys? http://www.interactmedia.com/

Just curious how legit it is.

Nexus42, send me a PM or give me an email address and I'll send you some of mine that have gotten approved on Textbroker.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Anybody done any writing work for these guys? http://www.interactmedia.com/

Just curious how legit it is.

Nexus42, send me a PM or give me an email address and I'll send you some of mine that have gotten approved on Textbroker.

Reading their FAQ I'm seeing a few things that raise red flags for me. (http://www.interactmedia.com/writers-faq/)

"Occasionally, visitors to the YoExpert site will read these sample articles and request answers to questions. If you have a question pending you will be notified and asked to answer the question. Once the question is answered, your account will be reactivated. This answer article is unpaid; however, the revenue we earn from YoExpert helps us keep our service free for all writers (unlike other writer platforms that charge writers a monthly fee or require them to purchase bid credits to get jobs.)"

Your account will be reactivated? I can't tell if they mean the YoExpert account reactivated so you can answer, or your writing account will be reactivated once you answer. Either way, it's work that's unpaid and it doesn't sound like you have the option to not do it.

"Do I get paid for words that are edited out?
Writers are only paid for the amount of words that are approved by the client. During the review process, some of your content may be removed. You will not be paid for this content. The client will only pay for the amount of content that they can use."

So at any time a client can decide 50% of the work you submitted to them isn't something they wanted, and only pay you 50% of what you agreed on, even though you have no guarantee they won't just take the content anyway.

"In the Marketplace, clients are trying out writers to determine who will be a good fit for their projects. Therefore, the first page that you write for a new client should be considered a sample page that may or may not be accepted. You are trying to prove yourself to that client so that they will add you to their Favorite Writer's List, and assign you more work in the future. "

So you're writing for assignments that the client can then decide they don't want you for and your work goes to waste. You don't get paid for it, but a client can offer you lower prices on it 'as an acknowledgement of time spent' (which seems potentially open to abuse.)

They could be legit or they might not, but with the site skimming 20% off of any agreed on price, and with clients setting the rate, you might end up working for pennies. Without registering and actually getting in to see the prices on offer, I couldn't say if it's solid or not.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is textbroker really more worthwhile than Constant Content? I usually made $25+ on articles. Granted, they were good quality, while you can sell garbage on TB, but still. If you can actually come up with ideas for articles, I would highly recommend trying CC.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I wouldn't say TB is more worthwhile, just that they're different styles. CC definitely requires writing stuff that's going to sell (meaning knowing the market) and pricing things competitively. If your articles don't sell, you don't get paid. TB is at least a somewhat guaranteed string of possible assignments.

Anyone that writes for any of these sites should try Constant Content, for sure. If nothing else, an assignment posted on Textbroker is a topic someone is buying, and you can re-write your own article and post it on CC.

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone know the deal with everything being mostly US only? Is it just they need a tax number and it is easier to deal with? Or do they check IPs and such? What is stopping me from setting up a SSH tunnel on some hosting/friends house and just backpacking the world making $25 bucks a day which is plenty fine to be ballin in Thailand or something?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tastic posted:

Anyone know the deal with everything being mostly US only? Is it just they need a tax number and it is easier to deal with? Or do they check IPs and such? What is stopping me from setting up a SSH tunnel on some hosting/friends house and just backpacking the world making $25 bucks a day which is plenty fine to be ballin in Thailand or something?

Most of those websites will require a W-9 form before they pay you. I don't know how it works beyond that but I think you could pull that off if you're an US citizen. Obviously websites like Leapforce and Lionbridge would be a lot more strict about it.

On that note, I mentioned earlier in this thread that textbroker.co.uk is an option if you're not from the US. They pay is a bit higher (€1.2 cents per word at 4 stars) and they don't care where you're from.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 30, 2012

Meow
Dec 31, 2004

Textbroker wants a copy of my license to verify citizenship. Anyone else have to do this?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Meow posted:

Textbroker wants a copy of my license to verify citizenship. Anyone else have to do this?

I got the same request and I was kinda sketched out.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I don't recall having to do that to get into Textbroker, but I might have and just don't remember it.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Meow posted:

I got the same thing, sent them a copy about two weeks ago, sent 3 follow up emails and still haven't heard back.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
I didn't have to do that when I started but, from what I am hearing from others, that is standard for textbroker now.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Yep, just got an e-mail from them saying they need a photo id.

I am trying to reactivate my LeapForce. I sent an e-mail to agent support last weekend and haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone have experience getting their LeapForce account reactivated?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
No iphone means I'm NRT in LF for awhile until it gets fixed. Sent email to LF explaining the situation so hopefully it'll work out. I won't get my phone back until sometime next week at the earliest. Kinda bummed with no work, as iphone SxSes are the only tasks I get.

dbadeb
Oct 25, 2010

Armitage posted:

No iphone means I'm NRT in LF for awhile until it gets fixed. Sent email to LF explaining the situation so hopefully it'll work out. I won't get my phone back until sometime next week at the earliest. Kinda bummed with no work, as iphone SxSes are the only tasks I get.

Why do you only get iPhone SxS? Just curious...

dbadeb
Oct 25, 2010

Derek79 posted:

One thing that I have rarely seen posted are at home phone jobs. In addition to Leapforce and various writing gigs, I have been with a company called LiveOps since May of 2007.

I applied at LiveOps shortly after you posted this message. I've done all the steps up to an including the Voice Audition, but my application has been stuck in "Your Qualification is Being Processed" ever since. How long does this process typically take?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'm gonna try to apply to Daily Transcription. Wow, that first file they make you do on the application page is a nightmare. Plus it would be nice if there were more example templates to verify your work on. I've transcribed about five minutes of audio in the last two hours but I'm slowly picking up speed. If I get hired I will definitely invest in a pedal.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

dbadeb posted:

I applied at LiveOps shortly after you posted this message. I've done all the steps up to an including the Voice Audition, but my application has been stuck in "Your Qualification is Being Processed" ever since. How long does this process typically take?

You know, I'm not really sure. I started with them in May 2007 and the process was pretty quick at that point. Summer is generally the slower time as far as Direct Response goes but they could just be waiting for another program to seed.

dbadeb
Oct 25, 2010

Derek79 posted:

You know, I'm not really sure. I started with them in May 2007 and the process was pretty quick at that point. Summer is generally the slower time as far as Direct Response goes but they could just be waiting for another program to seed.

Thanks :) I'm hoping that since I haven't heard a "no", my app might must be sitting and waiting. I guess we'll see.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Spartan421 posted:

I'm gonna try to apply to Daily Transcription. Wow, that first file they make you do on the application page is a nightmare. Plus it would be nice if there were more example templates to verify your work on. I've transcribed about five minutes of audio in the last two hours but I'm slowly picking up speed. If I get hired I will definitely invest in a pedal.

The pedal will make an enormous difference in how fast you are.

Here is a decent deal on the industry-standard pedal (plus some earbuds you probably won't use for transcription and a USB hub).

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Ugh, I just checked my star ratings in Lionbridge for the past couple of months. I used to average 4 stars, sometimes getting 5, and sometimes 3, but the last three months I have gotten 2 three-stars and a two star in March. I have no idea at all what is different month to month but it scares me to get a 2 star rating. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make sure I get high star ratings? It is so incredibly frustrating to have no idea what in the hell they rating me on and why...

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Doghouse posted:

Ugh, I just checked my star ratings in Lionbridge for the past couple of months. I used to average 4 stars, sometimes getting 5, and sometimes 3, but the last three months I have gotten 2 three-stars and a two star in March. I have no idea at all what is different month to month but it scares me to get a 2 star rating. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make sure I get high star ratings? It is so incredibly frustrating to have no idea what in the hell they rating me on and why...

Supposedly it helps if you take quizzes on Geoworkerz and attend Webinars, no idea how much though. Been liking the constant 30 hour weeks recently

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

dbadeb posted:

Why do you only get iPhone SxS? Just curious...

LF did a survey awhile back, asking users about what mobile phones they have, for future mobile-based projects. I have an iphone, so I told them that. I was looking forward to whatever mobile tasks they would have, but so far the only ones I've seen were iPhone SxSes in EWOQ2. A little disappointing, and they don't seem to work half the time. Also, there seems to be issues with toolbar/invoice tracking for these projects. I'd shrug 'em off and do other tasks, but for the longest time, those were the ONLY tasks that showed up for me. When they were working I'd spend 5 hours a day on 'em.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

The pedal will make an enormous difference in how fast you are.

Here is a decent deal on the industry-standard pedal (plus some earbuds you probably won't use for transcription and a USB hub).

Thanks kaz, they just contacted me and it looks like I am hired. I appreciate the recommendation.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Don't thank me yet; I'm sure you'll be cursing my name when you're hip deep in some five-person focus group with crap audio where at least three of the people are ESL. :)

Monarchy
Apr 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hi guys. :)

My partner and I run a service that offers "done for you" blogs that custom design/research/write/promote small websites with different themes.

Instead of hunting down a bunch of unrelated subjects, they're in 5 article bunches of ~500 words apiece on different topics. I'll provide a subject and a list of keywords:

(ex - BABY STROLLERS - McLaren Volo Stroller XL, Lightweight Strollers, Bob Duallie Stroller, McLaren Triumph. Gracie Flint Stroller)

...and you write something nice for it. Sometimes it's product reviews, sometimes it's general advice, and none of is hard to research at all.

It's a tiny bit less than Demand Studios ($60 per batch of five, that is, $12 per article) but way less insane and demanding... we don't need citations for anything (trusting you not to plagiarize here). If it takes you longer than a week to write 5 articles, you gotta give me an update. Already hiring a handful of guys and it's been great.

My email is zba.buchanan at gmail, so drop off a sample or two and your paypal and we'll get started. Thank ya.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Monarchy posted:

My partner and I run a service that offers "done for you" blogs that custom design/research/write/promote small websites with different themes.

I've done quite a few of these and can recommend this as a legit system with prompt payment and steady work. Nothing but good experiences on my end.

e: as I post this recommendation, I'm literally slacking on a writing project for Monarchy that's half done in another window! :v:

e2: vvvvv no joke I was wondering who took over a week to write 500 words x 5

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 13, 2012

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Monarchy posted:

If it takes you longer than a week to write 5 articles, you gotta give me an update. Already hiring a handful of guys and it's been great.

Echoing this is legit, work is good, and it's me. I'm the slow one. Finals is almost over though and then I can keep writing sweet sweet articles.

Ghettolicious
Jul 3, 2004

Violent Misogyny: "Fuck if I'm gonna give half my shit away to some cunt because I threw a pot at her head."
Is there any profitability in flipping articles? For instance, buying articles on Textbroker for cheap, making edits/cleanup if necessary, and then selling them on Constant Content or Scripted for a higher price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Not really, no. You get what you pay for when it comes to content mill work.