Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

dms666 posted:

Been liking the constant 30 hour weeks recently

If there are excess hours allowed one week, can I work those hours any time in the month? Like this past week was extra - can I work extra from now until the end of the month and end up with an approximately 99 hour month? Or do I have to complete it during the specific week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Doghouse posted:

If there are excess hours allowed one week, can I work those hours any time in the month? Like this past week was extra - can I work extra from now until the end of the month and end up with an approximately 99 hour month? Or do I have to complete it during the specific week?

I have done multiple 30 hours weeks before to have the extra hours to take a week off and they have never said anything. I dont see why they would with this either.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

dms666 posted:

I have done multiple 30 hours weeks before to have the extra hours to take a week off and they have never said anything. I dont see why they would with this either.

Yeah I remember reading in the official literature somewhere that the 20-hr a week rule is calculated by month, so for instance in a 28 day February you could do 80 hours spread out any way you wanted over the month. But I was just unsure about this case with the bonus allotment.

I find it terribly difficult to max out. I just find it really hard to focus on such mind-numbing work - last month I got to about 71 hours, but I haven't been able to get past that yet.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 14, 2012

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Putting in my favor for Textbroker and Mechanical Turk. Textbroker can be a bit annoying sometimes because the instructions for articles are very poor and some of them seem utterly impossible to write, but I try to to a few $5 - 10 articles a week in my down time (i.e. write an article instead of playing video games for an 45 minutes) and I've made some nice extra money.

Mechanical Turk is good for when I'm bored out of my mind and don't mind taking a 10 minute survey for a $1.50. I've made about $60 on Mechanical Turk over a year and a half, which translates to maybe 6 hours of actual time on it. The fact that you can use earnings as an Amazon gift certificate is great too. I just go to HITs I'm qualified for, filter by highest earning first, and do the easy surveys.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Hi all, I just found this ad on Craigslist for freelance research. I replied to it with a short email that basically said, "I just graduated from a masters program. I'm interested in telecommuting. Please tell me more about your company. Let me know if you'd like to see a resume." They responded by telling me I'd already been selected and it provide them with some personal details.

Is this just a scam of some kind? I don't trust craigslist as far as I can throw it. Here is the original ad and the email reply:

craigslist creeper posted:

Dear Applicant,

You have been selected for an assignment as a Freelance Researcher.You will earn $500 per assingment being a Freelance Researcher.

Your employment packet will include funds and instructions for every assignment. It is a pleasure to inform you that you have been cleared to be one of our agents. The Freelance Researcher Evaluation Team invites you to run a survey on one prominent company in your area.

Full Job Description will be sent to you prior to your assignment.

Your activities as a secret Researcher should be kep "confidential”, no third party should be involved. Payment would be in a certain amount which you would be required to cash at your Bank, deduct your salary, and have the rest used for the evaluation at the store that would be given to you for assignment. Please re-confirm your details

Full Name :
Address (Not.P.O.Box):
City :
State :
Post code :
Cell Phone :
Alternative email address (if any) :

As a detective Researcher you will work & have fun at the same time.Researching for pleasure, and you only need to work 2-3hours twice in a week.

Please note that is a part time job so we are waiting your good response. Note: Candidates from EUROPE are not allowed to apply for this Offer.

Thank you!

Regards

Alex Orrow

The Freelance Researchers
Copyright©2012 © Freelance Researchers. All rights reserved.

Note, I can't find "The Freelance Researchers" with "Alex Orrow" anywhere online, but maybe that just means I'm not a very good researcher.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
" you would be required to cash at your Bank, deduct your salary, and have the rest used for the evaluation at the store that would be given to you for assignment"

That right there sounds pretty scammy to me. Do some research on popular online scamming methodology and you will discover why!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I think at this point you're gonna find 99 scams for every 1 honest to goodness job posting on Craigslist.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If I ever became a Gonzo journalist my first article would be comparing how easy it is to obtain sex on craigslist versus getting a job from there.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Armitage posted:

I think at this point you're gonna find 99 scams for every 1 honest to goodness job posting on Craigslist.

If you're looking for general unskilled, sure. There's plenty of legit work on Craigslist if you have a specific skillset, though, and it's where I've gotten all my current transcription gigs. But yeah, you're going to be in trouble if you can't recognize an advance-fee scam right out of the gate like that.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

kazmeyer posted:

If you're looking for general unskilled, sure. There's plenty of legit work on Craigslist if you have a specific skillset, though, and it's where I've gotten all my current transcription gigs. But yeah, you're going to be in trouble if you can't recognize an advance-fee scam right out of the gate like that.

Of course, it might be by location. I live in Central Florida, and am looking for a full time job. Most of the postings here don't deviate all that much from the one in truavatar's post, so I'm using other resources. craigslist, at least for here, is gonna be an option once I get extremely desperate :v:

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
A lot of fishy stuff goes on in Florida for some reason. If I see a company is from there it's usually a bad sign.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
I signed up for textbroker, did the writing sample, sent them a photocopy of my ID, and heard from them within 24 hours. So far so good, I'm going to dive into a couple of jobs tomorrow.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I posted in the last thread about transcription. I can never seem to find a freelance gig that pays an anywhere livable wage (Not in USA). Everything I've applied for has been around the $0.50/min mark, and with my experience I'm looking for about $0.75/min.

I wanted to start a little local side business but every time I make a little headway I start getting super busy.

I have a domain and some copy written up, though I might actually pay a writer to redo the copy.

My goal is to mostly do medical transcription. I really enjoy doing it. I've mentioned to everyone at the office that if they know any other offices that need help that I would be willing to do something else part time. Though I think everyone is terrified I will end up leaving.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Ugh no Lionbridge work in the morning for second day in a row, makes me want to pull my hair out.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is anyone here an About.com guide? I made the first cut for food policy, but I'm curious what they look for in their articles specifically, now that I have to do more writing samples.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is it normal for for Textbroker to ask for photo id to confirm your identity?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That came up a page or two back I think, it sounds like it's a thing they do now. I wonder if they were getting too many people from countries they can't send tax documents to or something.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Thanks to kazmeyer for the info about Daily Transcriptions. I heard back today that I'm accepted! I'm hoping there's enough work. I did some transcribing at a previous job so I'm hoping that I'll like doing this for a long-term basis.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Is there any site/book you guys actually trust when it comes to taking up online marketing? Every. single. source. screams 'IM TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING!!' which is obnoxious and hard to filter out. What is a real, step-by-step book on advertising stuff through fb/adwords/etc?

I've got money to do real A/B testing and stuff, I just don't know the first thing about it.

(As a side note, I'm also learning programming, and I'm planning on building a small autoredirect program to automate semi-bandit testing.)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So I have the opportunity to take the Leapforce tests, but is it still worth working for them now and then?

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

So I have the opportunity to take the Leapforce tests, but is it still worth working for them now and then?

I think it is. It's been a steady paycheck for me

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It's worth it for the short term (6 months or so) but gets less so the longer you do it. They're prone to getting rid of people for no reason and the work gets mind numbing after long enough. It's a good paycheck while it lasts though, just don't expect to be doing it a year from now. You might be (some people are) but most people don't last.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

It's worth it for the short term (6 months or so) but gets less so the longer you do it. They're prone to getting rid of people for no reason and the work gets mind numbing after long enough. It's a good paycheck while it lasts though, just don't expect to be doing it a year from now. You might be (some people are) but most people don't last.

6 months is long enough for me, it's just as a side thing to pay down some CC debt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:neckbeard: I got a 4! Ah, man, I'm so happy. I'm not supposed to be this happy about some dumb little number on a website, right?

Thanks to whoever suggested textbroker. With DS dying, I needed somewhere new.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

6 months is long enough for me, it's just as a side thing to pay down some CC debt.

If you can get Lionbridge work instead, I would recommend it. I have been fairly okay with it thus far, been doing it about 15 months. I get ratings that are all over the palce (5/5 stars one month, 2/5 a few months later, no idea what changed) and every once in a while there is a dry spot but it's been pretty good besides those things.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Thanks to whoever suggested textbroker. With DS dying, I needed somewhere new.

Might as well plug Constant Content while I'm posting. It has cons as well - you never know if your articles will sell, can take a while - but if you write a good article about a reasonably desirable subject you should be able to pull 20-30 for it.

On another note, I just got back from a weekend vacation and I only had one LB task today and I'm out. A bit unusual for the beginning of the month, on a weekday - what are fellow LB workers seeing?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

On a similar note, Textbroker either hired a ton of new writers or cleared out a huge amount of their assignments that had been sitting there for weeks or months with no takers. It's down to under 200 4-star assignments (when two weeks ago it was in the 800 range). I watched 100 assignments get posted between 2am and 6am, and by 8am they were all gone. Looks like TB competition is going to be fierce for a while, until people settle down, quit, are demoted, or otherwise stop fighting for the 4-stars.

I really need to pass that ridiculous loving proofreading test and get into five stars.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Anyone doing Crowd Sourcing for Appen Butler Hill? I keep getting e-mails that there are new tasks but I never see them in Marketplace :( Been dry the last few days.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's really not worth it, it's almost as bad as mechanical turk.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I don't think I've seen anyone discuss Fiverr here. Their cut is $1 out of each $5 sale, so 20%, where I think places like text broker take a higher cut. I just bought a bunch of 400 word articles on there. It's probably a little harder to get started there since you have to sell your own services instead of grabbing articles from a queue, but there seem to be plenty of people making money there. You can do a lot more than write articles, too.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Spartan421 posted:

Anyone doing Crowd Sourcing for Appen Butler Hill? I keep getting e-mails that there are new tasks but I never see them in Marketplace :( Been dry the last few days.

Getting the same thing here, and yeah my hopes that it would be a more private and thus way better mechanical turk have mostly been dashed. Still better than mturk, but still not that great, especially I used do regular Butler Hill work.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I signed up for textbroker, submitted my sample writing, got ranked a four, and then accepted and submitted my first writing piece. All within two hours.

This is awesome. I just started working on another one now - the business category is full of opportunities. We'll see if my submission gets accepted, I guess, before I get too excited.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wlokos posted:

I signed up for textbroker, submitted my sample writing, got ranked a four, and then accepted and submitted my first writing piece. All within two hours.

This is awesome. I just started working on another one now - the business category is full of opportunities. We'll see if my submission gets accepted, I guess, before I get too excited.

All 5 of mine have, no problem.

The problem comes in that, they stop you after 5 until Textbroker reviews your stuff. And their notice says it can take up to two weeks. It only happens once but aaah!

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

So I'm moving from St Louis to Baltimore in a month. I wonder if I can keep my Lionbridge job? I've been at it for 15 months and it's been nice, I really hope so. If not, can I apply to Butler Hill or Leapforce or anything similar? Is textbroker, constant content or transcription the only gigs left?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doghouse posted:

So I'm moving from St Louis to Baltimore in a month. I wonder if I can keep my Lionbridge job? I've been at it for 15 months and it's been nice, I really hope so. If not, can I apply to Butler Hill or Leapforce or anything similar? Is textbroker, constant content or transcription the only gigs left?

DS as of a few days ago:

E: VVVV The big drawback to this is if you ever intend to going "pro" and getting a publishing company to print your books and all that great poo poo, some of them take huge issues with not having primary rights to your "first book" or whatever stupid poo poo they're preaching now. I imagine that they'll be killing this a lot as self publishing gets more and more popular, but it's still a thing as of this post and it's a caution if you want to try to "make it big" some day.

No offense to the self publishers. I think you guys are freaking awesome. But it's a snafu I don't want to have to deal with if I can possibly avoid it. :(

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 7, 2012

Cetaphobia
Jun 17, 2009

Ewige Blumenkraft
I thought I'd chime in that indie publishing on Amazon is a legitimate way to make money online as well. I am posting this here because a year ago, I'd have looked over self publishing with derision and focused on this thread.

Here's some things for you to read about it:

Ask Me About Being an Erotica Author!: PYF genital synonyms
Self-Published Erotica and You - Goonerotica is the best 'rotica

And while romance and erotica will sell faster, it is not just limited to those genres:

Self-Publishing Goons (Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc)
Broke $1000 in one day for the first time yesterday from self-published books. $1001.50.
November sales numbers: ~ $28,790.00 (net profit, includes Amazon and B&N but excludes Smashwords).
Self Publishing Success Stories

So if you can write marginally well, you may want to look into this. Maybe the OP could add this information to the first post?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sparta posted:

Is there any site/book you guys actually trust when it comes to taking up online marketing? Every. single. source. screams 'IM TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING!!' which is obnoxious and hard to filter out. What is a real, step-by-step book on advertising stuff through fb/adwords/etc?

I've got money to do real A/B testing and stuff, I just don't know the first thing about it.

(As a side note, I'm also learning programming, and I'm planning on building a small autoredirect program to automate semi-bandit testing.)

Sorry for the late reply on this (this forum moves so slow I don't check it very often), but speaking personally I would avoid the marketing 'programs' which are basically mlm shill frontends. E.g. chris farrell and his ilk.

If you're serious what I suggest you do is check out SEOMoz, which is more geared toward organic marketing and site structure, but you've got to have that poo poo locked down tite dogg before getting anywhere with cpc/for pay advertising. Google will give your ad a 'quality score' that can help determine how expensive it is per click, and one of the criteria is the landing page the ad goes to. I've had clients that started out at $2/click on their keywords that get down to $0.50/click just by upping the quality score.

Here's a good roundup from SEOMoz:
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-big-list-of-ppc-resources-articles

And a more beginner oriented article:
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/17-most-common-ppc-mistakes-web-marketers-make

As an aside, there's actually a lot of opportunities there that might be relevant to this thread. If you can create a property that generates legitimate traffic you can skate by on adsense/affiliate revenue with relatively low effort.

I can't stress enough though to avoid 'turnkey' solutions that charge you for hosting, education, per sale, etc. Every category is different and has different requirements. Any 'MY MARKETING SOLUTION WILL MAKE YOU $5000!/mo!!!' solution is inherently self defeating, since selling the same set of tactics to multiple people will result in a 'lobsters in a pot' phenomenon as everyone applies the same tactics to the same categories, enriching only the person who sold them the 'system'.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Great info all around guys. Doghouse, I don't know how well they'll like you moving. I've heard Leapforce would fire people for moving for some reason or another, so maybe Lionbridge is the same. You might be able to skate by without telling them and risk being dropped if they find out, or you could try to contact them and ask (and risk being dropped when you move because now they know.) I personally don't have experience changing addresses with them either way. Heck, as far as I know you're the goon who has worked with one of those two companies longer than any others.

Cetaphobia posted:

I thought I'd chime in that indie publishing on Amazon is a legitimate way to make money online as well. I am posting this here because a year ago, I'd have looked over self publishing with derision and focused on this thread.

Here's some things for you to read about it:

Ask Me About Being an Erotica Author!: PYF genital synonyms
Self-Published Erotica and You - Goonerotica is the best 'rotica

And while romance and erotica will sell faster, it is not just limited to those genres:

Self-Publishing Goons (Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc)
Broke $1000 in one day for the first time yesterday from self-published books. $1001.50.
November sales numbers: ~ $28,790.00 (net profit, includes Amazon and B&N but excludes Smashwords).
Self Publishing Success Stories

So if you can write marginally well, you may want to look into this. Maybe the OP could add this information to the first post?

I can certainly add this to the OP. It's of personal interest to myself as well, since even though I do a lot of crappy content writing I want novel/store/game writing to be my primary income eventually. Thanks for the nice easy links to paste! =D

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Doghouse posted:

Officially, Leapforce won't hire you if you've worked with Lionbridge, but they also won't check if you did.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Ha, yeah, I saw that Goonerotica thread. No way I am doing that, but it is a clever way of making money. It seemed from the Self Publishing thread that goons have not made a lot of money from non-erotica stuff. I love writing fiction and that seems really neat but I am highly skeptical. Also writing good fiction takes a lot of time.

Hmm. I wonder what I should do about moving. I wonder if I could somehow keep my bank account here and just not tell them. I suppose they would see that I am logging in from a different site, but I don't know if that would matter. I also wonder why they care where I live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Back when I worked with Leapforce, I would occasionally log in from my parents' home a couple hours across the state. It was still the same state though, and it wasn't permanent. They never said anything to me about it.

If your bank account can set up automatic transfers to your new bank, or if your new one has branches in your new location, I'd say go for it. You just don't want to get stuck with money going into an account you can't access.

As for why they care, I have no idea. They may spread out their hires around the country, or different states may have different 1099-related tax laws they have to work around, or who knows. Maybe one of their staff has a grudge against North Dakota.