Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Thanks to kazmeyer for the info about Daily Transcriptions. I heard back today that I'm accepted! I'm hoping there's enough work. I did some transcribing at a previous job so I'm hoping that I'll like doing this for a long-term basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

People Stew posted:

I'm seriously considering grabbing a pedal and taking a shot at some transcription work over the summer here and there.

Does anyone have or know of some samples of what the end-result transcription should look like? I'm curious to see how the various "uh, um..." and [cough] expressions are formatted.

If you apply for Daily Transcriptions they provide a sample to help with the test and there's an email address in case you have questions.

Deacon of Delicious - I'm a stay at home mom and my baby needs a lot of attention, and I was able to make $180 the first week. If you're seriously committed, I think you could make $400 from the beginning if they offer you the work (edit: kazmeyer says below it would be too hard, so don't listen to me :) ). I don't know if my quality went south or if they didn't have as much available but for my third week, I only made $90.
Edit: To be clear, I want to work part time and aim to make about $200 a week.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 25, 2012

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

And TIC -- my week last week at DT was pretty light. I think I turned down one file at one point, but even considering that I made about half what I did the week previous. It comes and goes. DT has been crazy busy compared to some of my other clients; I literally haven't had a job from one of them in three weeks.

That makes me feel much better, you have no idea. And it makes sense that different projects would be winding down for a holiday break around now.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

bleedbackwards posted:

I'm doing the test for Daily Transcripts and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a few questions. I've done legal transcription before so I have experience with the work but they seem very exacting and their instructions are a mess.

1. They say the transcription needs to be verbatim, but does that mean word shortenings need to be typed as they're spoken (i.e., workin' instead of working, 'em instead of them)?
That's how I did it! Though I did it only if it was really obvious. If someone has a general cadence, I don't transcribe that phonetically.

quote:

2. Is there any standard I should be following when it comes to breaking up sentences or using commas? Like are there specific rules for when you should start a new sentence, because human speech is usually not as structured as text and in many cases it seems subjective as to when a sentence is being started. Is that kind of thing even generally considered important in transcription?
I use general grammar rules, though I'll sometimes put commas around non-grammar words like um, you know.
edit: Sometimes I'll let a run-on sentence stay as a long run-on sentence, but sometimes I'll have to break at an "and." It makes sense grammar-speaking but maybe not cadence-wise.

quote:

3. Their instructions say that Page Margins should be "1003 Default;" is that a typo for "2003 Default?"
I just used the sample they provided. That's what I've always done unless I had instructions to do otherwise.

vvvv Yeah, I should clarify I meant grammar rules as far as punctuation. I definitely record each word, bad or good grammar.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 1, 2012

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Being able to type fast isn't too important. Having the ability to listen and type is much more useful. Things like dialogue, typing in lots of things like time codes, and bad quality audio will slow you down. I've heard that a good speed is averaging 15 minutes of tape per hour. I wasn't really doing that at first but now that I've been doing it for a month I can see definite improvement.

Fake edit: Oh, another thing that really slows me down is that you're expected to look things up. If I get something with a lot of unfamiliar jargon, I can spend much more time than I wish trying to figure out exactly what they're saying and then how to spell it so Google doesn't give me something obviously wrong. That's only happened two or three times.

Edit: To actually answer your question, I think I can do over 70 WPM but I doubt I ever get close to that when I'm transcribing. And I would do one of the applications and see how you like it! The Focus Forward audio for the application is clearer (and possibly easier, but I'm still in the middle of finishing it) than Daily Transcriptions, but kazmeyer's quote in the OP lists some good reasons to get into media, which is DT more than FF.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 6, 2012

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

By any chance are you using the type of ear buds that come with your ipod? Or maybe not any headphones? If you have access to a good pair of headphones, it will make a world of difference. Once I started transcribing I got a $50 pair and I wish I had gotten an $80+ pair because even my music sounds so much better. If you are using a good pair of headphones, then I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe try a different computer?

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, DT is pretty cool and they always have people around ready to answer your stupid questions. I decided to up my minutes per day on the schedule and apparently they like that because I have tons of work now. I'll be making around $150-200 this week. They sent me four files the other day which were all part of a series. The first and last five minutes or so were the same exact audio for all the files so a little copy/paste easy money there.

I got some of those too! It doesn't make much sense for the company to have DT transcribe the exact same thing thirty-five times but I'm happy to do it.

Re: headphones. When I decided I wanted a better pair I of course found the SA thread on headphones because there is a thread for anything. That's where I learned that people will drop $300 on headphones, which seems crazy to me but I also learned a lot about the technology.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Okay, I've got a technical problem this time. I have a Quicktime audio file that has a drop-frame timecode embedded in the file. My transcription software (Express Scribe) doesn't seem to be able to display this embedded TC, and I can't control quicktime player with a foot pedal. kazmeyer, do I just need to suck it up and buy another piece of software? Or is there a workaround?

edit: Plus, these files play extremely slowly in express scribe, and I have no idea why. I can't adjust the speed at all. This is maddening.

For Express Scribe timecodes, you first need to right click on the file in ES and under Dictation information, enter the time offset. Then you need to program a hot key, which is under Options - you want "Copy Time". I don't use it very often so I don't know if it loses time or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Spartan421 posted:

I just rejected some work from Daily Transcription because apparently I need to open these QuickTime files as .bwf files in order to view the timecode in order to transcribe properly. Anyone know how to do that? I spent like 20 minutes looking for converters and messing around in QuickTime and Inqscribe to no avail.

I had this same problem tonight. I think this is the solution:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/qt_timecode_display_gary.html

I have the free version of QT on a PC and this worked for me, though granted I might submit my assignment and have DT tell me I got it wrong.

This info was really hard to find, though the solution is apparently easy. The files are .mov and the guide says to open as .bwf but I didn't have to do anything special, just change that little drop down menu in Quicktime.

Edit: Hmm, when I opened the file in Inqscribe, it automatically had the correct timecode so maybe this is different from what you experienced.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 21, 2012