Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

That's super helpful, thanks! The headers thing never would have occurred to me for a 400-word article. Or writing such short paragraphs. It... might take me a while to get the hang of this. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

All of my articles have been accepted to WritersDomain so far! Not that I've written many. Picking a keyword seems to be the hardest part for me. There are a shitton of them and it seems like I haven't the slightest idea what to write about 90% of them. Possibly it will get easier to bullshit my way through with time.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I'm cool with just going with most of my weird revision requests, but man. I just got dinged for not being specific enough with the statement, "There are many different kinds of [x], depending on your needs." Even though that was immediately followed by a list of examples. It's... literally just a list of my introductory sentences, complaining that they do not in and of themselves contain the content of the following paragraph. I mean, I'll find a way to fix it, but...

:psyduck:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Earlier today I'm pretty sure I kept getting the same reviewer, and probably should have just dropped the whole thing, but instead I got mad and rewrote a serviceable article about how copy paper works into an impassioned defense of copy paper as a concept. Somewhere out there is a WritersDomain reviewer who thinks I have very strong opinions about copy paper.

Yup, they accepted it after I moved some words around and added a few "for instance"s.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I didn't even remember what the last test was like, I took it so long ago, so I didn't really have any basis of comparison when I retook it. I picked acupuncture, too, though! They're way more lax on the writing sample than they are on the actual articles.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Ugh, up until now all my articles were getting approved within an hour, but now I've had things waiting for a couple of days. I'm assuming this is pretty normal? It's hard not to feel worried.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah I'm on WritersDoman, and that's a good point - I completely spaced that today was a holiday. That probably explains it, now I feel silly. I imagine I'll be less paranoid about screwing up a good thing after I've been at it a while longer.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks for the info, Astro! You have been super helpful so far, I feel like I have the inside scoop. :3: I'm willing to wait for now, since the GNA button seems potentially soulcrushing. The only ones I don't think I'd ever be able to do are the ones that are less a keyword, and more an extremely specific sentence.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I'm really hating the new way WritersDomain is doing keywords. My internet goes out for long stretches, and before that wasn't a problem - I'd just write a bunch of articles about a keyword with a large number available and submit them all in a row when I got back online. That isn't really possible now, though fortunately I've still never had an article expire during an outage.

In a shocking turn of events, making money online works a lot better with consistent internet. :downs:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

The cap has been indefinitely turned off since May 1st. They might turn it back on, who knows…. people I know have been writing 5-10 a day, cashing out once a day.

I actually managed that for a while myself, right up until they changed the way keywords work. Now I'm struggling to figure out how to write another article about locksmiths/towing/whatever. :negative:

I shouldn't complain too much, I'm still very happy with WD as a way to make money that's feasible for me. I just know more than I ever wanted to about Canadian locksmithery.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

So, I'm looking at my various alternative options while Writer's Domain sorts themselves out, and there's one thing in particular that I'm wondering about Textbroker. For the writing sample, it says that they'll reject "articles where the name you registered with is not included". Does that just mean I have to sign my work? This probably seems obvious, but I want to confirm so I don't screw up something dumb.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Now that the semester is over, I've started looking at replacements for Writer's Domain in earnest (since writing five articles a day isn't really an option there lately). I got accepted at Zerys and Constant-Content, and I'm still waiting on Leapforce. I haven't seen any jobs yet on Zerys, and none of my articles for Constant-Content have been reviewed yet. How long is the waiting period, usually?

Is there any reason my husband wouldn't be able to join Lionbridge while I do Leapforce? Assuming I get accepted, that is.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I didn't think they'd have a one-per-household policy across both sites but I figured I'd check to be safe. If Leapforce works out for me he'll definitely be interested in doing something similar.

My entry score was four stars, it looks like there were some jobs posted an hour ago that got snagged before I could get them. I'll just have to be more diligent, it seems like. A lot of people on the official Zerys forums seem to think it's based on how much you've written as much as your score, so I got a little worried. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll definitely keep an eye out, I might have overlooked them otherwise.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I gave up on Writer's Domain when they started tossing back the rare articles I was able to get for small editing complaints they editors used to take care of themselves (disliking one specific comma, wanting linebreaks to be done differently, etc). It was just too irritating when there was never any way of knowing whether the next editor would toss it back for something completely different. Plus they stopped giving out more than three stars the instant those got tied to how much you got paid.

But, man. When it was good, it was great. I haven't managed to make such easy money anywhere else.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Is there a thread for stock photography? I looked in a few different subforums but didn't see one. I take a lot of pictures anyway just for fun, and if there's a way I could be making even a couple bucks a month off of them that would be nice.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Wait--so is Writer's Domain worthwhile again? I dropped it after the new pricing structure because I'd previously been getting nothing but 5 stars and suddenly any work I managed to get was getting rejected.

Is there a trick to getting work/keywords, or do you just kind of have to check in intermittently and hope for the best?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It was when they lowered the prices—I was in school at the time so $20 for an easy 5-stars was worth it (there were so many keywords then that I could pick and choose), but having to heavily edit only to end up with $12 on the only article I could get that day was too frustrating. Of course, now I'm a graduate so at this point I'd probably take $5 if I could get it.

That's all really detailed and helpful information, thank you!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Every WFH I've done (including for a university) it was pretty expected that if they gave you a limit, it was a hard ceiling for you to get as close to as possible. As long as you never went over the limit, padding it out was practically encouraged. I always kept a spreadsheet with an approximation of what I got up to on an hourly basis in case anyone asked, but no one ever did.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

GolfNow charges golf courses to be listed on their site, and also sells tee times without actually passing the money on. That, or our local golf course manager was uniquely incompetent and didn't know how to receive payments. It could go either way with that guy. GolfNow definitely sent a lot of invoices for $200 a month, though. :v:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

If you're getting into flipping, try to make your niche one of smaller items, otherwise you're going to end up in inventory hell waiting for things to sell (and then paying out the rear end for shipping). I've heard fashion's a good route if you can learn to quickly identify the right brands and you check the right neighborhoods.

I fell off Writer's Domain years ago when posts there were scarce and they started rejecting articles over piddly poo poo, but if it's good again I'll have to see if my account is still active. I made good money on there for a while, in the glory days of "write 400 words in an order that sort of makes sense and get $20"

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

It's has its ups and downs with the reviews. I feel like when they would bring in a new crop of college students around the Fall to do the editing/reviews, you'd get these people that just didn't understand what it was for and be overly critical. Then a month later it was back to normal once they realized the more they reject the more they have to review again. I also think they gave the reviewers the ability to change more stuff on the fly. It used to be that if there was a mistake in the title they'd send it back without even reading it. Now they'll just change the title if there is a small problem with it.

That would explain it, at one point I think I recall refreshing wildly for hours just to get One article only to have it get docked stars/pay for something like not being engaging enough. At that point it was like, "you are definitely not paying me enough to write thoughtful, engaging copy" and I gave up.

My favorite article I ever wrote for Writer's Domain was something bizarre about asphalt because I actually, weirdly, learned a lot about asphalt.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Does Verblio have you responding to a prompt like Writer's Domain, or is it one of the more "throw an article out and see if anyone bites" type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I was unpleasantly surprised to learn I'd been deactivated and needed to reapply, but I hadn't written anything for WD in years so I couldn't be mad about it.