Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
" you would be required to cash at your Bank, deduct your salary, and have the rest used for the evaluation at the store that would be given to you for assignment"

That right there sounds pretty scammy to me. Do some research on popular online scamming methodology and you will discover why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

RabbitMage posted:

I keep getting docked by TB's editors for my comma usage, but ~my girlfriend~ got the mother of all insults today. Her client rated an article as low as they possibly could and left a comment akin to "You, should, review, your, overuse, of, commas!" with a suggestion she sign up for Grammarly (which turns out to be horrible, expensive, and the sample edit she did gave her a virus).

I'm looking forward to getting some stuff done on Constant Content.

As an aside, has anyone writing for Monachy heard from him lately?

He sent me an email a week ago saying that his most recent bank deposit was "being sat on" and that he would "let me know the minute things cleared up."

I emailed him this morning about it, still waiting on a response. He's paid up several times for me so I'm not totally without hope (yet) but yeah we'll see.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
For whatever it is worth, he just emailed me to let me know that I am, in fact, on the list of people to be paid. No further details, but he hasn't totally cut contact.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Is Butler Hill as bad as LF/LB about getting back to people's applications? I applied the other day and got the NDA about 8 hours after, haven't heard from them since I signed it though.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Anyone have any idea what the requirements are like to pass the BH internet judge test? They said they would be forthcoming with them but they were not, and now I must wait until Monday to find out if I passed the first test or if I need to take the idiot test.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

mezzir posted:

Check the info they sent again, they're pretty drat specific (though obviously they won't actually tell you your results until they said they will).

All I saw was a one-off chart in some training material and the lady on the audio track literally says "I'm not going to explain how we arrive at these numbers." but I kept track of the ones I got right/wrong and how far off I was for each one I got wrong, but I don't know how they weight them :(.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

dms666 posted:

I work for LB, both them and LF let you work whenever you want, not sure if LF also wants you to do at least 10 hour a week. I am not sure if this changed, but Butler Hill wants you to work 4 hours a day M-F. You have to pass a test to work at any of these jobs. It isnt the most exciting work, but you can learn a lot of random facts while rating searches. Task availability is also a problem sometimes, especially right around/after holidays. Any other questions, just ask.

I currently work for BH and the 4 hours per day M-F thing is spot on. You cannot deviate from this. You do get most major holidays off, and the service is occasionally down, but in my months working there I have yet to experience a lack of tasks.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

FredMSloniker posted:

So what kind of pay does Butler Hill offer? I'm looking at their website and seeing a lack of information on this subject, which makes me hesitant to apply.

Fairly sure I started at $13.50 doing search engine work, which ends up being just under $300/week before taxes. Unfortunately, they pay out once a month, so that is a blessing or a curse, depending on your situation.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

palit posted:

Are they still doing this? Can anyone who joined Butler Hill recently tell me whether they got this?

To be honest my conversation skill is a bit lacking so...

I joined maybe 6 months ago and had no phone interview.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

MasterControl posted:

I passed the lionsbridge test but failed the appen butler test. I guess with appen on that test it's all about speed. I missed one section but the silly thing is I timed out multiple times on that test due to IE crashes. Working in it for the test reminded me why I never use it.

The test training for lionsbridge was far better for me than appen however I do get a redo on the appen test.

Thanks for the tips on work - I needed some new freelance gigs as I lost a large client recently.

You can spoof your user-agent to make BH think you are using IE while using whatever browser you want, that's what I do -- never had a problem :)

e; Unless you have to use the toolbar, in which case I guess you are hosed.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cast Iron Brick posted:

So I think I'm out of trying transcription. I don't know what it is about my motivation, but I can't hold my attention to it long enough to stay productive and get faster.

Would it be kosher of me to offer to sell my foot pedal in this thread, or should I make a SAMart thread and link it here?

You'll want to make an SA mart thread -- strict adherence to that particular forum rule was set up after some dude scammed a bunch of people in this thread.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

I think he finally made everyone whole, but it was definitely dodgy for a while.

He never paid me so this is not the case.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I've been working for Demand Media lately, and there's a huge variance in how good the copy editors are. Some accept anything and only change a few words, some send back articles asking for total rewrites, and some don't even seem to understand the subject matter, while others have expert-level knowledge. It's kind of annoying- more than half my articles get approved on the first round, but sometimes I feel like the result is out of my control.

Woah, they're still paying people for content? Are you doing specialized writing or did they restart the general nonsense they used to do?

And, fwiw, they've always been that way. I've had some articles I wrote on subjects I am familiar with get kicked back for just total failure to understand on the editors part. Similarly, I have published content on their site that I was paid for on things like how to refine crude oil or whatever. It is totally hit or miss with them.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
S&W are full of hot poo poo so that may be part of your problem! ;) (I have no real advice, sorry.)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

thylacine posted:

Hurrrr... what are some other ways of saying a car "gets" a certain mpg? I'm tired of writing it because it sounds terrible.

'With an astonishing 69 MPG the Jagular SMD ranks...'
'Highway rated at 420 MPG the Hongdu Blazer is...'
etc.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Been out of the game for a while, but if I need to make a couple grand over 2.5 months working nights/weekends -- is there a place that is consensus 'best' for that? I'm mostly interested in writing and I'd need to be accepted and working fairly rapidly, so anywhere that will hold my application in limbo forever is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I love serial commas and I love that my workplace loves them too.