Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Many of the content writing sites fell apart after Panda, so it does seem like a new thread is a good idea. I still see some of the content writers I know on Gather and Yahoo Voices, I think Gather is rev share only and Yahoo Voices might pay a small amount upfront if you're a featured writer. There seem to be a few new sites around and it looks like a lot of them are using the Textbroker model, so pay varies widely.

It seems like a lot of traditional media sites are willing to pay content sites for outsourced articles in bulk, because they cost much less than traditional journalism. I wonder if we could set a group up where several of us could write articles for one of the bigger media companies directly. It seems like there are several writers around here with strong portfolios and credentials. I think Scripted used a similar model where they marketed their forum posters to their clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Seems like DMS came back to life for writers, but I think they have much stricter requirements now, including article spines that basically tell you what you have to write and editor created tests to get into each section. As for me I'm done with content mills and looking at business blogs and financial news sites that pay freelance writers. Forbes seems like it's hiring a lot of freelancers but it could be tricky to get in, also Business Insider, CNNMoney, and Fortune seem like they are hiring.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
I recently found a site called InfoArmy, which this GigaOm article describes: http://gigaom.com/2012/06/12/infoarmy-mobilizes-the-crowd-to-build-business intelligence-reports/ It's business research and they walk you through it, basically you claim a company, look up some information about it on Google and do a few calculations. Seems like anyone can sign up at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if that changed. It's similar to Constant Content, the main researcher gets $40 each time the report sells and the senior researcher gets $10, plus InfoArmy plans to add revenue share from companies that subscribe to the entire database later on. AFAIK if you claim a company another researcher can't claim it. This site just showed up in June so I'm not sure how popular it will get, they've paid out a few thousand so far.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Found an upfront pay content site http://www.independent-publishing.com/refund by looking up media related startups on AngelList. This one seems more like Textbroker with three tiers, $8.40/400 words for the lowest tier, $12/400 words for the middle tier and $23.60/400 words for the highest tier. They also have copy editing work at $1.68/400 words, but even the other content sites pay more than that for editing I think. The site's based in Germany and it seems like they accept writers from any country. I have not signed up myself so I don't know how many assignments they have available.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
That's disappointing. Figured that they'd have money to spend because they were on AngelList, but looking at the listing again here, https://angel.co/independent-publishing I only see previous investors, not current ones. Have also looked at SEO marketing agencies on LinkedIn, since they always need writers, although most of them probably won't pay much.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Found another relatively new content site, Prevently. Looks like they pay $10 a post and $3 to edit a post, it's a healthcare site so that rate seems low.
It may still be higher paying than some Textbroker clones though. Not sure how much work they have available either. 43k likes on Facebook shows that it's got
some traction already, which is interesting because Google also shows me that the site was registered on May 29, 2013.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Went looking for backup sites today. Found a lot of very low paying sites, then I found one that looked a little more promising.
This company, http://www.2bluemediagroup.com/ owns a variety of websites that focus on different topics. I don't see pay rate listed
on their site, but this link http://www.writejobs.info/2012/08/freelance-writing-2blue-media-group.html says $15 per article, basically
Demand's old pay rate. Visited some of their web sites, the articles don't look very long either. Have not tried this site myself.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
The Motley Fool could also be added to the front page of this thread. The pay starts at $50 each and you can basically write as many articles as you want, they're typically about 500-800 words. It will be more difficult than writing for the other sites that appear in this thread, though, as you have to have knowledge about the stock market and know how to research companies.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

Drunken Warlord posted:

Interesting - I'm definitely considering submitting an article. How often do articles get accepted/rejects?

It seems like most articles get accepted after writing for a while, but it may take some time to get used to the style. With the first few there's probably a much higher chance of rewrites. If you understand what they're looking for in an article, a rejection probably isn't that likely. The editors are willing to work with writers, though. If the article meets the standards it typically gets published for pay.

rocinante fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 11, 2013

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

The transcription stuff is still up to date and still perfectly doable. Writing's taken another big hit lately, because content mills are constantly trying to outmaneuver Google's algorithms that are trying to devalue garbage writing. The sector is kind of splitting up into two tiers -- content mills that produce articles for sites that don't really give a poo poo about whether it's good or not (and pay 2c a word or less) and outfits that want more authoritative content (and require credentials or experience from their writers, but pay 5c a word and up).

I've noticed this too, so I'm starting to think that splitting this topic up into two different threads would be helpful. Basically, one thread for writers who are getting started and need places that don't demand lots of experience, and another thread for higher-paying specialized sites that pay more. From what I've seen in the second category there are more places popping up that pay $50 to $100 per article, but you do need to be a subject matter expert to write for them. Here's an example of one of these listings: http://allindiewriters.com/freelance-writing-jobs/

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

Nighthand posted:

I'll happily include any higher paying opportunities that people can vouch for as reputable. Constant Content pays fairly decently (more so than Ghostbloggers usually, with all the same issues of whether or not you make a sale) and Listverse, if you find something they like, is $100 for ~1,000 words.

Edit: Is there something more to that Indie Writers site? Every "job posting" I clicked on was just a crawled craigslist link. Do they do particular vetting of the jobs to weed out scams?

That I'm not sure about, and Craigslist is full of blind ads a lot of the time. The best way I've found to determine whether a site pays writers and offers consistent work is doing a search on LinkedIn. If it's legit, people will often say that they write for that site on there.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Writer Access seems to have work if you can get on love lists there. Haven't tried Scripted but think that may have work as well, think they reorganized the site recently. Many of the other sites with work right now seem like they pay a lot less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Seems like in the area is more like in the state for this project. Good for California but results might vary with other states.