Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
So I'm sort of an amateur programmer/web developer and I signed up on Elance for the hell of it, but it sort of seems unlikely that I'd get any work. I can only submit 15 proposals per month (30 if I pay $10/month) and every single listing has at least a dozen proposals from companies in India that I doubt I can compete with when they're offering like $3/hour. I'm only asking like $9/hour myself as I get started so I can build a portfolio. Anyone have advice on how I should best do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I'm doing some researching on dropshipping but it's hard to find legitimate advice, probably because BUSINESS SECRETS or whatever. Anyone have advice on how to look for niche areas that have high search traffic but low competition? It's pretty hard to get a feel for this starting out.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I posted this in an A/T thread about setting up an online store that never got a response:

Thanks for the response. It's all good information. Is Google checkout okay for this? I like them a lot better than Paypal (I like eating dog poo poo better than Paypal).

It's really hard to tell if dropshipping is an area worth pursuing. It seems for the most part that you can try a bunch of product areas that fail and sometimes get lucky and strike it really well with one in particular. Like you said finding dropshippers that aren't terrible is apparently the key to all of this and isn't easy to do. I'm also not so jazzed about the idea that I could be spending thousands on PPC and never come close to breaking even.

For the most part it seems like drop shipping works because people will come to a site and buy and item without cross-shopping it somewhere else. This would work well for stuff like wall art where you can't just type "cute cat painting yard" into Amazon and find the same print, and is also why categories like electronics and clothing don't work at all.

The criteria I've come up with that's needed in products to choose are:
-Where quality doesn't matter much (knives are a good example of crappy quality items that people will be upset with)
-Don't appeal to people who to call and complain (fishing gear, bible covers, auto parts) and cause lots of customer support issues
-Have a 50%+ profit margin (cheap to manufacture)
-Won't have high returns (clothing)
-Small, inexpensive to ship
-Not easily cross shopped and looked up elsewhere
-Can be priced between $50 and $200
-Not immediately obvious where to buy said item online or in a retail store (an example is artsy stuff, there isn't exactly an "art store" with wall art everywhere or a website for art that's a house-hold name)

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 9, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that. This poo poo's for the suckerest of suckers.

The key to MTURK is finding a community that posts all the good HITS. You typically have to monitor it all day because the good ones go fast. Also, don't bother with anything less than $0.10/minute, though it's hard to tell how long anything takes without a community helping eachother out. A good way to find HITS is to search for "survey" that's at least $0.25.

My full time job is super slow these days so I'll MTURK over the course of about 7 hours, taking only the best jobs, and I'll earn on average about $15-20. A good day can be $25+. These 7 hours are a mix of 70% surfing the net or whatever and 30% clicking through surveys.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I've given Elance a try for a couple days now and so far it's going better than MTurk. I've been doing simple PHP apps and helping people setup simple websites. If you know a little bit of programming it seems like this is the better avenue (compared to MTurk). So far the only problem I'm running into is the lack of "tokens" to apply to jobs. It seems like I'll run out quickly and new ones are expensive, I think. It wouldn't be a problem if I was taking on long, complicated, well paying projects, but I'm working for like $10/hour on stuff that only takes a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I tried to find rules about this on Elance's website but couldn't. After I finish a job on the site, am I allowed to give them my personal email and suggest that we do the next job offsite to save on fees (if they're cool with that)?