Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I signed up for textbroker, submitted my sample writing, got ranked a four, and then accepted and submitted my first writing piece. All within two hours.

This is awesome. I just started working on another one now - the business category is full of opportunities. We'll see if my submission gets accepted, I guess, before I get too excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Hi thread,

I started using textbroker a few days ago after briefly using it a few years ago and am pleasantly surprised - there is some learning involved, but starting with an active account at four stars meant I could dive right in and I've earned about $50 total in the last three days with 2-3 hours of work per day. My short term goal is to up it to an average of $30 per day from online stuff, keeping it to 3 hours per day.

Textbroker is not the best hourly - probably about $6 to $8 per hour of focused work. I want to diversify to reduce my risk and seek out the best value for my time and effort. My question is: Does anybody have advice on how the landscape of text content mills has shifted in the last few years? I looked at the OP, and it looks like Writer's Access and Constant Content are promising. CC looks great because sometimes the TB client asks for ridiculous revisions, and its easier to cancel the order - so I could re-post those articles up on CC. Writer's Access would work to diversify my income across multiple sites.

Any advice? Does it make sense to focus on this area over transcription, which seems to be the main source of income for a lot of you?

TLDR: Using textbroker with mild success, want to expand to other sites and maximize my average hourly income w/ article writing.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I am keeping in mind that 15% self-employment tax, thank you for the reminder. That was a big lesson I've learned in past years, and a painful one haha.

I haven't figured out how to get into any decent Textbroker teams - it seems like all the public ones are either completely dead, or have crazy numbers (like hundreds of authors with five articles available). The pay scale looks much better on some teams though, I'll have to keep looking. Becoming a 5 star author seems to first require passing a grammar test, with a 3-month waiting period if you fail... so I'm gonna do some studying before I submit my answers. Hopefully I can nail that.

I also read via their forums that it's acceptable to send private messages to clients who you write for via the "open orders" pool (i.e. the main area to grab work), so I've just gone back and sent a thank you note to everybody who accepted my articles over the last few days. Hopefully I can start getting some direct orders.

Getting to TLDR territory now, so I'll just say thanks for all that info and ask one question - How exactly does one find work via reddit? Are there subreddits for freelance writing work where people post offers?

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

Regarding the recent writing discussion: I used to do really well with Constant Content but it seems to have slowed considerably these days (or maybe I just suck at thinking up articles to write now :shrug: Either way, nothing's selling. ) I'd say Writers Access is probably your best bet at this point.

Writers Access did not accept my application :eng99: - I was pretty surprised. I'm not sure if this rapid-fire textbroker writing is having a detrimental impact on my skills - unfortunately, the nature of the work is that I have to be brutally efficient to make it worthwhile. When I'm earning $7 for an article, I can't spend an extra half-hour fine-tuning everything, I just have to get it functional and submit.

Still haven't heard back from Constant Content.

My basic plan is to apply for every opportunity in sight and experiment as much as possible to find the best opportunities. Step one is to get into some other non-Textbroker sites (or find good job boards, subreddits, etc) while simultaneously finding the best opportunities within TB to up my hourly there (teams, earning a five-star ranking, direct orders). I'll report back as I learn what the best sources of freelance writing income are, hopefully other people here will find that useful in some way.