Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Cetaphobia posted:

I have erotica about gay werewolves, pseudo incest (2 of the most popular genres), and I just wrote one about a bike with a dildo built into it. The bike one is selling VERY well for it just going live today. But I have 11 stories up, and I've been doing this for 2 weeks. You have to be prolific.

I was just looking at that thread, and didn't that kind of stuff get pulled from Amazon and now Amazon is not a good place to self-publish erotica? Sorry, it's hard to establish a context for what's going on in that thread without reading it from beginning to end (which I plan to do, but I'd like to know right off the bat whether I should bother with Amazon).

e: I think I was mistaken and that content was pulled from Smashwords and ARe. I think I also remember something bad about AmazonKindle Direct Publishing though.

bleedbackwards fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
I'm doing the test for Daily Transcripts and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a few questions. I've done legal transcription before so I have experience with the work but they seem very exacting and their instructions are a mess.

1. They say the transcription needs to be verbatim, but does that mean word shortenings need to be typed as they're spoken (i.e., workin' instead of working, 'em instead of them)?

2. Is there any standard I should be following when it comes to breaking up sentences or using commas? Like are there specific rules for when you should start a new sentence, because human speech is usually not as structured as text and in many cases it seems subjective as to when a sentence is being started. Is that kind of thing even generally considered important in transcription?

3. Their instructions say that Page Margins should be "1003 Default;" is that a typo for "2003 Default?"

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
E1 rarely comes up anymore, and they've started porting URL Rating tasks to E2 so they're steadily moving towards switching over entirely. I don't think it's any sign that they won't renew your contract if you don't see E1 anymore. Their emphasis lately definitely seems to be on the dwarfs, which is unfortunate because the timing is tight on them and I find them pretty mentally taxing.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008

Taco Pirate posted:

Is anyone else seeing a lot of NRT in Lionbridge lately? Even last week when they sent me a text saying I could do up to 30 hours, by the weekend when I had time to put in some extra work I got in like 45 minutes on Saturday and 20 minutes on Sunday.

LF and Lionbridge share the same task pool, and things have been lean at LF lately as well. Last summer was light on work too, and according to the guys at LF who were in contact with Google, the backlog of work had just "run out." Maybe it's because there are more students off school and moms home with the kids, so less work to go around.

hayden. posted:

I tried to find rules about this on Elance's website but couldn't. After I finish a job on the site, am I allowed to give them my personal email and suggest that we do the next job offsite to save on fees (if they're cool with that)?

They specifically say that all payments should be conducted within their system, but the chances that you'd get caught are probably next to nothing unless you have a highly-visible account that does a ton of work. I regularly had clients offer to contact me by email so we could take care of the billing personally and I never had a problem.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
One more question about the Daily Transcripts test... I'm going to submit this thing eventually, I swear. Am I missing something about timecodes, as in, is there a way to transfer them automatically from the transcription program to your word processor? Or do you just have to copy and paste a new entry and edit the time for each new speaker? I'm not even sure how you could do it automatically but it's super tedious and it takes me longer than anything to copy and paste a new code, put Express Scribe back to 100% speed because it doesn't display time correctly when you reduce the speed, figure out exactly when the speaker started, and then edit the timecode.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
LF's toolbar has been closing other browsers for months now. It's probably because they don't want you doing work in other browsers since they want everyone to see the same thing and there are sometimes differences between browsers. The LF toolbar is also used for tracking time though.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
It is invasive, especially considering you're an independent contractor and they shouldn't have any control over the equipment you use to complete the work. Gotta play by their rules though.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
The summer months are typically slow for Google in terms of updates. The same thing happened last year, though the work had picked up by this time a year ago. I think we'll see more work available soon.

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-search-quality-update-slow-15433.html

quote:

Summer months tend to be slower at Google, so I am hoping that it is just a month off thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
I haven't worked much for LF this month since I've stayed busy with other clients but it seems there is a lot of work to go around. Some people are planning on hitting over 300 hours for the month.