Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cetaphobia
Jun 17, 2009

Ewige Blumenkraft
I thought I'd chime in that indie publishing on Amazon is a legitimate way to make money online as well. I am posting this here because a year ago, I'd have looked over self publishing with derision and focused on this thread.

Here's some things for you to read about it:

Ask Me About Being an Erotica Author!: PYF genital synonyms
Self-Published Erotica and You - Goonerotica is the best 'rotica

And while romance and erotica will sell faster, it is not just limited to those genres:

Self-Publishing Goons (Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc)
Broke $1000 in one day for the first time yesterday from self-published books. $1001.50.
November sales numbers: ~ $28,790.00 (net profit, includes Amazon and B&N but excludes Smashwords).
Self Publishing Success Stories

So if you can write marginally well, you may want to look into this. Maybe the OP could add this information to the first post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cetaphobia
Jun 17, 2009

Ewige Blumenkraft

Doghouse posted:

Ha, yeah, I saw that Goonerotica thread. No way I am doing that, but it is a clever way of making money. It seemed from the Self Publishing thread that goons have not made a lot of money from non-erotica stuff. I love writing fiction and that seems really neat but I am highly skeptical. Also writing good fiction takes a lot of time.

Hmm. I wonder what I should do about moving. I wonder if I could somehow keep my bank account here and just not tell them. I suppose they would see that I am logging in from a different site, but I don't know if that would matter. I also wonder why they care where I live?

To make a lot of money, you have to write FAST. Putting out something once a year will not make you rich. Once a month or once a week, might. The Reddit threads I linked to are about an author who made their money with fiction, not erotica. Most were short stories or novellas sold at $2.99.

Cetaphobia
Jun 17, 2009

Ewige Blumenkraft

Doghouse posted:

Thanks a lot for all the feedback about LB and moving and so on.

This is a terribly tempting idea to try. I took maybe 3 creative writing courses in college and I love writing, but I just haven't done it in quite some time. I'm skeptical as heck though. Even if you could write good stuff, how do you get noticed?

Writing a lot is the #1 way to get sales. The more searches your stories pop up in, the more sales you get. You can also get a Twitter, a Tumblr, and what have you. But most of your sales will come with a large catalog of stories.

I have erotica about gay werewolves, pseudo incest (2 of the most popular genres), and I just wrote one about a bike with a dildo built into it. The bike one is selling VERY well for it just going live today. But I have 11 stories up, and I've been doing this for 2 weeks. You have to be prolific.

And you do not have to be a phenomenal writer. Be slightly above average, with good grammar and formatting and you will be ahead of the pack. Especially if you go with romance or erotica, but all of this applies to all genres. Most people I've read about doing this the same way I did recommend just going for 'good enough' and I'm going to do the same. Good enough sells. Worry about amazing once you're making a livable wage, like Delilah Fawkes is (I think she's at about $6k a month now) and I believe Talks To Cats is as well.

ETA: If you find that your work has finally reached a point where your older stories are kind of an embarrassment, Amazon will let you have literally as many pen names as you want. You can make money off your old, worse work while building a new catalog of better, shinier stuff.

You also want to make sure your covers, titles and blurbs are REALLY good. Read the Goonerotica thread, regardless of what genre you write. The advice is the same for everyone, and it's invaluable.

Cetaphobia fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 9, 2012

Cetaphobia
Jun 17, 2009

Ewige Blumenkraft
Everything is 3k. I have intentions to do longer works next month, since I'll be more secure in what I'll be making. My goal for my first full month is $300-$500, next month it's $1000. You'll find that's a very realistic goal since I put out at least 3 stories a week.

But for erotica, yes, you can sell 3k works for $2.99 and they will sell like hot cakes. A person or two might complain, but it's the "industry standard" if you will, and if you sell them for any less you are losing out on a lot of money. Don't do that.

For non-erotica, 10k-50k is generally considered best for $2.99, but you can always change prices to see what happens.

Cetaphobia
Jun 17, 2009

Ewige Blumenkraft

bleedbackwards posted:

I was just looking at that thread, and didn't that kind of stuff get pulled from Amazon and now Amazon is not a good place to self-publish erotica? Sorry, it's hard to establish a context for what's going on in that thread without reading it from beginning to end (which I plan to do, but I'd like to know right off the bat whether I should bother with Amazon).

e: I think I was mistaken and that content was pulled from Smashwords and ARe. I think I also remember something bad about AmazonKindle Direct Publishing though.

Bookstrand stopped allowing indies at all. ARe is cracking down in ridiculous ways. Smashwords and Amazon won't allow straight up incest or beastiality, but pseudo incest and shapeshifters are fine. Barnes and Noble will allow literally anything. Seriously. There are legit dog loving stories on there.