Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Has anybody done copy editing work for Demand Studios? What sort of credentials do they require for the position? I know it says "at least 2 years" in the field, but is the site over-saturated with professionals or can entry-level people get in too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:woop: MyGengo took me on as a German > English translator. There weren't any jobs at the basic level so I took the "pro" test right away and it seemed easier than the standard test. *shrug* Guess we'll see how they judge it in a month's time.

Anyone else have experience workin at this site?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey kazmeyer, ever heard of CaptionMax? Is there disdain for companies like these from you freelancers?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

Well, considering that at this very moment I'm working on an as-broadcast script for CaptionMax, no, no disdain. :) Could you be more specific?

I was just wondering about the general differences between the full-timers' and freelancers' playing field. :) I imagine the pay is different?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I think Spring is going to be very busy for us. :)

What makes you say that? I only ask because I work for a captioning company and things have been very slow recently. If it continues on like this, I would imagine they might have to lay off our transcription coordinator just to give the captioners more to do.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I understand it's been an industry standard for a long time, but I wish the transcripts I get would say [indistinct] instead of inaudible, because inaudible means it literally can't be heard, while indistinct means you can't understand it or aren't meant to understand it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You guys don't use macros for ABS's?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Well, I work for a captioning company, and when work is slow, we do ABSs. We have some in-house Microsoft Word macros that take our files and automatically format them for pasting into another Microsoft Word template document--single column, three column grid, whatever--and boom, a 22 minute 3-column show takes between 3-4 hours.

I guess I have no idea how difficult it might be to write a macro for this kind of usage. I just do as I'm told; I don't know how that black magic works.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
be hoed --> behold

I should make a twitter for these.

#transcriptionistproblems

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Labradoodle posted:

Does anybody here do any freelance translation work online? (English <> Spanish) I've managed to pick up the occasional job on freelance hubs and I'd like to transition a bit away from writing.

What about Gengo.com? I do German > English stuff there.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I think there was a A/T thread about deaf and hard of hearing people. I work at a closed captioning company and answered questions about that process in that thread too. I can't find the thread itself, though. Must've went into archives already.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Crunch Bucket posted:

My husband is also severely hearing impaired - he got a cochlear implant 3 years before I met him (so 16 years ago now, drat)

So I've also wondered what kind of effect, if any, that transcriptions have on captions. :)

Transcriptions help speed up the process for a caption editor to get a show's caption file done. If a caption editor has a transcript for an hour-long program, it'll only take 3 or 4 hours to time, break, and review the caption file as opposed to 8 hours usually to create the caption file from scratch. Depending on the pay rate of the transcription and the caption editor's wage, it can also be slightly cheaper to work with a transcript that was outsourced to freelancers.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Sara T. Biggun posted:

I've been writing at Textbroker for at least a couple of years.
When I see keyword requirements, I just make sure I use the keywords the required number of times within the article.
That is seriously all I do.

I'm not sure if there's some kind of special placement that's best for SEO, or whatever... but I've never had a bad rating from a client, nor have I had any complaints from Textbroker's raters regarding keyword placement.

:shrug:

Is this seriously all SEO is?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Might I suggest simply writing [indistinct chatter] at the overlapping parts?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
*on Friday night* Hey, transcriber, I need this by Monday, preferably by the morning.

*still hasn't emailed back by Monday night*

:argh:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wow, that isn't even a pittance for that amount of work. It'd probably feel more gratifying to work at McDonald's at that pay rate.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

I'm using a set of Sony MDR-XD200 cans I got off Amazon when my beloved old Plantronics headset died. All you really need is closed cans, pads that completely surround your ear to block out the extraneous noise. It makes an ENORMOUS difference with bad audio.

My workplace has a few old pairs of those Sonys as well, but more recently we've been using Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones which are only like $30 new. I'm wearing my red pair right now :waycool:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

It took me about two weeks, but I've heard some people say it'll take as long as a month.

When I was a 4 star article writer for TB I wrote a few level 2 and 3 articles, so even though they had no edits, they still knocked me down to level 2. Now I'm not sure how to climb out of that hole with TB, and I'm having to write for .012 cents on the word. It's kind of ridiculous but poo poo.

I've got to pay my rent.

I've found at level 2 they will sometimes give you a rank of 3 if you write really well, and sometimes you get a 4 when you're writing 3s. Once you hit 2 it's a horrible slog to climb back to the top, and it can happen really easily with TB because they just use the last 5 articles. It's really de-motivating and is a terrible system. The editor's can be cruel, and honestly it sometimes feel like they keep good writer's in the lower levels so their is less competition for the higher ranking articles.

Just don't write like poo poo, and only take 4s and 5s depending on your writing skill.

Writer's Access I've just started with but when I joined they gave me a 2 (I did horrible on the grammar test,) and then there weren't any jobs so I've been having to live off of TB. I was only making about $980 A month, and December / January were so lean that I had to dip into my savings to make due. It always gets really lean around that time though, and the market is starting to get over-saturated with writers.

You have a high level though, so you'll be fine.

If this post is anything to go by then I think those editor's [sic] have every right to be cruel. :stare: Seriously? "Make due"?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I love serial commas and I love that my workplace loves them too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Post-production houses, especially closed captioning/subtitle houses. I work for one myself but we're not taking on any more independent contractors at the moment. If we ever do, I'll search here first. :goon:

But in the meantime I'd check craigslist for media transcription work as well.

e: ABSs are the devil

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Centripetal Horse posted:

Kazmeyer, I'm curious about how assignments are distributed from these transcription houses. From reading your posts, it sounds like they just dump work in your lap when they have it, as opposed to the bidding or claiming models used by many of the freelance writing outlets. Are there places that let you choose your own jobs from pools, or companies that will allow you to say, "I only want to do one or two projects per week?"

Where I work, the way you described it is mostly the case. Transcribers send in a schedule of their availability per day each week. You have to have at least 120 minutes available a week, but you can change up how much you want every week when you send in your weekly schedule. One of our transcribers has 120 minutes available per day. The norm is usually 30-90 per day.

Projects are assigned based on transcribers' interests and availability, though their availability usually trumps all. So if there's a 45-minute project with a lot of southern accents and then there's a 90-minute action movie, I'll assign them based on who has the matching amount of minutes in their schedule for the next day. Only if multiple people have 90-minute availability will I try to assign it to someone who prefers action movies. It's a bit like playing Tetris with people's schedules.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Get rid of that comma before "which." It's not an independent clause because of it and would never survive on its own.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Oh, what's that, transcriber? You get a difficult project with 24-hour turnaround and the next morning your kid suddenly has to go to the ER for a broken bone? :rolleyes: Yeah, see if I ever send anything your way again.

Still got it turned around on time :colbert: Some transcribers really come in clutch for me (and then get a pretty constant flow of work from me) and others are just so fickle.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be taking such an attitude with someone who didn't already have reliability problems. Her grammar quality isn't usually up to snuff either. It always seems like the unreliable types offer the most available minutes per day while my highest quality transcribers are usually only available for 30-45 every day or every couple days. I imagine it might be because they're in high demand from so many other clients, but c'mon, what's more fun than transcribing trashy reality television shows?!

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 12, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Phonetics are a big part of transcription, but it's not always going to be so straightforward. There are transcription sweat shops in the Philippines that regularly butcher common English idioms--god forbid anyone speak over each other. It takes a somewhat critical thinker to narrow down the context surrounding a difficult passage to figure said passage out, especially when you don't have coworkers to ask for a listen. Otherwise there's nothing that creative about it.

e: VVVVV DO YOUR RESEARCH. Listen to Kaz and research those proper nouns.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 21, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

I just thank God the guy didn't have to take a dump.

I actually kind of miss reality shows, though; about 90% of my work this year has been either movies or news agencies. I miss the... interesting specimens of humanity you run into with reality shows. Like the one guy who'd apparently shotgunned the entire minibar before coming down to the interview and got gradually more and more incoherent over the course of the half-hour until they finally had to stop because he wasn't making words anymore. (Although that one was a bit of a challenge because they wanted full verbatim, and it's hard to spell "Fbz brgz mump ah ha ha ha.")

[speaking indistinctly] :cheeky:

You know what I dislike? How basically all my transcribers are middle-aged ladies who feel the need to send me a three paragraph story about their life when they send me their weekly available minutes. I should really get some pasty goons on my roster. The more terse the interaction the better.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Attention transcribers who have been at this for at least six months:

How many of you would be available for overnight turnaround projects at $1.25/minute? The workflow would be as follows--

• I give you a request at around 9:00 p.m. Central.
    • You confirm the request and download the video and transcribe it according to our style.
    • You send it back to us by 7:00 a.m. the next day.

PM me if you're interested.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This blog post lists a bunch of forums related to transcription. I think two or three of my current transcribers came from Transcription Haven.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zorblack posted:

Two, they claimed in the instructions that the sentences did not contain grammatical or factual errors. Several sentences had multiple independent clauses with a conjunction, but they did not have a comma before said conjunction. Also, I was torn as to whether a missing Oxford comma constituted an error or not.

The fact that you recognize those sorts of things puts you leagues above some of my own transcribers for sure.

BTW some of you have PM-ed me about sending resumes to my work email. My IT department got back to me and said I should be able to receive any emails that don't have zipped files attached to them, so fire away.

edit: we're also Canadian friendly, though we can only direct deposit into American bank accounts, so you'd hafta be okay with snail-mail checks.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 9, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

But snail mail is the best! It' the only thing that comes in that isn't bills and coupons for Big Macs!

Also do you guys do PayPal at all?

I'm not sure on that, but I should have a definite answer for you by next Tuesday. My intuition is leaning more toward "no."

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Crunch Bucket posted:

Today's transcription rant is brought to you by geriatric interviewees on sets with amazing sound recording quality, which means a barrage of digestion sounds, lip smacking, loud pained swallowing, phlegm, etc. Not to mention the inability to complete a thought or make much sense in general.

That's disgusting.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

But snail mail is the best! It' the only thing that comes in that isn't bills and coupons for Big Macs!

Also do you guys do PayPal at all?

Getting back to you on this: No, we don't. We had a bad experience with PayPal before I was hired, so it's just snail mail if you don't have a U.S. bank account.

Still haven't gotten any resumes--maybe some of you with less than 6 months experience wanna PM me, if you swear on your e-honor not to flake or wash out...!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Derek79 posted:

I can't PM on the site but I would be interested. Any way you could shoot me an email? nisselphatATgmail

Sent. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The audio:
I don't know what to do now.

The transcript:
Okay.
Screw you.

:pwn:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I just got a good chuckle looking at a resume from someone listing their participation in a spelling bee as relevant experience. :laugh:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just "contestant"

Might consider them if my bosses start going all :supaburn: "Up capacity! Up capacity!" again.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
real edit: ^^^ if I get an application forwarded to me that doesn't have a resume I delete it. Native speaking proficiency in English does not translate to proficiency in English grammar.

DT pays around 60-100 cents a minute for you guys, right? What kind of accuracy percentage are they expecting at that wage?

fake edit: Same question goes for those of you with Way With Words. What's the accuracy a client can expect from their transcripts?

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

DT here. I've been seeing either 70 cents, or 75 cents, per minute. 99% accuracy, but I've been working with files that come out to over 10k words at the moment so there's a little wiggle room. I've had to QC a couple files. Thus far, most of my QC mistakes have either been due to accents messing me up, or formatting issues with the weirder projects.

Thanks so much for the info. Wow, 10,000 words? Sounds like a verbose 90-minute movie or something.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

sometimes 80+

Whoa, so they're not playing "Price is Right" rules with your availability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
They're making you do timestamps too? drat, that's rough for $0.70/minute.