Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Do distinctions exist in the decimal values of star ratings on Zerys wrt viewing jobs? I didn't check a client by accident and got 3-starred twice, bringing my 4.5 down to a 4.3 and I'm seeing quite a few less jobs on the board. Is there a way to fix this other than just grinding my way up through .7 jobs?

Also: Can you only apply to Writer Access once? I'd really like to give them a shot but I've only started doing this freelance writing thing full-time recently and I don't have much of a resume built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dang. Well, it's not that far back up to climb.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I worked with LiveOps for a while in the last year, and it seems like if you're going to make a meaningful amount of money with them you need to rigorously apply to be certified with every product they have and be willing to sit through a lot of dreadfully boring and condescending training videos.
You sign up for calls in batches at specific times on Thursdays and have a limit as to how many hours you can get, and if you aren't speedy enough to grab all the hours you want you can wind up with not a lot of work to do. I wound up going back to writing fairly quickly, but I'm not much of a phone person.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

The waiting game is difficult, but once you've started it gets much easier. If online writing is going to be your Thing, you should take time now to set up an oDesk account and take their tests as well.

When you're starting out with Zerys the important thing is to over-do every assignment until you're comfortably sitting in the four or five star range and there's no chance of two or three bad reviews dragging you down. AFAICT there's no system to keep a company the system barely knows from doing as much as a hit on you as a reputable client. You'll figure out over time which clients are more trouble than they're worth. (Like the HVAC people. Other posters have commented on them before but I'll restate it: don't take the HVAC articles.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Everyday Lurker posted:

Has anyone actually struck out and offered their freelance writing services independently (outside of the content mills)? That's what I'm in the process of doing. Just wondering if there's some key advice I should be aware of.

If you want to get into freelance writing independently, you need to work with sites like Constant Content and oDesk. oDesk is filled with sub-minimum wage jobs, but if you can find one or two clients that can boost your rating and then stay on top of your workload you can wind up finding consistent, okay paying gigs that translate into decently paying off-site work. Take some of the tests available, build up a portfolio, and aggressively apply to jobs. Once you've reached the maximum clearance level on oDesk you can apply to five jobs each weekday. You should do that. Ideally, you'll be at a position where you are turning down jobs in order to work on more profitable jobs. This is possible and you can do it.

A lot of clients on oDesk use it as a way to get people for short-term work that turns into long-term work - my biggest reliable income right now comes from exactly that. Just don't take any jobs that'll have you working at pathetic wages and don't work with a clients that your gut says not to.

Remember that you are also interviewing your client, just like in face-to-face hiring situations. You are always free to decline a job offer once they've accepted you if it turns out they're not a good fit for your work style or sanity.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Centripetal Horse posted:

I see a lot of emphasis in here on getting the maximum (usually four) star rating when signing up for these writing gigs. If someone scores a mediocre rating, like three stars, are their income prospects just shot? I am curious why these lower star ratings even exist when it seems there's no money in them. Can a three-star writer earn, say, $1k per month working these sites? Is a grand per month even reasonable for four-star writers without having to write for eighty hours per week?

You can do it but it will be more difficult and be very time-consuming. Depending on the website, you may be better off finding a different place to hone your skills so that you can come back and raise your rating later.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Don't forget to diversify! I think Zerys has a quick turn-around in their application process if you're getting a little desperate for income.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey I just wanted to thank this thread as a ~goon success story~. I started writing SEO content because of you guys with Zerys and Writers Access about a year and a half ago in order to make beer money, and I recently accepted my first office job out of college doing this.

Compared to freelancing, this job is a breeze - I have someone else to handle my clients for me! Someone else on my team edits my work!

That doesn't mean that I'm done freelancing though. There's always more money out there to be made. And I'm interested in making the transition into actually writing copy in an industry.

Thanks, thread!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, your work is not your own through textbroker. I recommend you take some of the prompts you like, write them down, and then write articles for yourself for your website. Also, consider doing work on oDesk. It's hairy to get work on there, but you can usually negotiate the use of a copy of work for a client as your own promotional material.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I worked for an SEO agency for a year before flaming out because they really, really sucked to work at. We were paid ~32k / yr to write 3,000 words per day, half that if they were 'premium content' which meant the blogs were expected to be read by someone at some point. so that's 375 words an hour, each getting you about 15 bucks. or double that for premium content.

a given writer would write for a couple differetn companies, which were handled by an account manager. an editorial manager would manage content. Writers also edited an equivalent number of of words, with each word edited counting as half of a word. So you could edit 6,000 words / day and not write anything.

Your stuff was expected to be readable and reflect a certain tone that varied from company to company - you couldn't quite spam words out and expect to get away with it. You had free reign over what the article was about as long as it hit certain keywords and wasn't a repeat of previous articles. Frequently we'd rewrite news briefs with a mention of a product offering and a link to the cited news source, that kind of thing.

We were definitely a lower-end firm. I knew some people who transitioned into higher-end advertising roles from there, which paid significantly better.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i kind of thought the content mills would have exploded on contact with chatgpt. there's still orders going around for it?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
how extensive are your rewrites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

dataannotation.tech

Been doing work on here for a few weeks now and feel comfortable recommending it as legitimate. It's owned by a VC-backed AI company (Surge AI, although that name is meaningless to me) so they've got a lot of money, for now anyway.

is there some trick to getting assigned work? I signed up for an account back in october here and never heard back.