Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
dataannotation.tech

Been doing work on here for a few weeks now and feel comfortable recommending it as legitimate. It's owned by a VC-backed AI company (Surge AI, although that name is meaningless to me) so they've got a lot of money, for now anyway.

Work is paid hourly. Timekeeping is self-reported. It takes 1 week after reporting your time to get paid, and you can cash out via PayPal every 3 days. No taxes taken out, you're a 1099.

There are non-coding ($20/hour) and coding ($40/hour) related work. I only do the coding related work. There is enough work that I've been able to work whenever I want, for however long I want.

What's the job?

Most of the work involves rating conversations between humans and chatbots or being the human that generates these conversations. I only work on coding projects so the focus is on rating the chatbots on code correctness or asking them to generate code. You will need to verify that the code works, does what the user wants, and if the chatbot "explains" the code you need to verify it's factually correct.

I recently got a third type of project that pays higher where I'm rating other raters. Basically if someone rates a chatbot response as having correct code or explanations and it's actually not, then there's a button I "need" to press to flag that user for review.

Time commitment ?

On average one "task" takes me 10-15 minutes, and the open ended chatbot ones I report 30+ minutes per back and forth conversation. I do this while watching tv and honestly I’m thinking of doing wfh more often at my 9-5 just to get more money while the VCs are still lighting money on fire.

You're encouraged to take as much time as needed "within reason". They give one example saying that it is not unreasonable to spend up to 2 hours to set up a custom dev environment and to compile needed libraries.

You're also told to report time you spend reading and reviewing the rules and instruction.

Programming languages?

There are a lot of Python. I also see a lot of JavaScript, C++, C# and occasionally C. I suspect this is because I chose those languages as what I know. You won't be writing code, but you'll need to be able to run and debug and fix code.

Complexity ranges from rating which chatbot produced a better hello world code, to "here is 100s of lines of MPI parallelized C code it’s broken fix it".

It's a pretty sweet gig, and easy as gently caress if you know a bit of Python and can read and write coherent English. The average task is just copying and pasting code into my IDE and seeing if it runs, and fixing it when it doesn’t, and then writing up a paragraph explaining my rating.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Astro7x posted:

Wondering how difficult it would be to learn enough coding for the coding related tasks

Thanks for the insight. Writers Domain officially shut down all writing tasks back in December and I’ve been struggling to find anything that pays decently as a side gig where I can just do it whenever with no commitment. This seems promising!

IIRC the coding "exam" was just a leetcode like thing. If you’re able to do those, or hell, have someone you trust in person to do it for you (pretty sure it was just a single question when I did it and it was more logic than writing code) then you could probably fake it til you make it once you’re in.

The objectively easiest projects just have you downloading some csvs and then asking the robot about it and having it make plots and stuff. You could probably get away with the most basic of knowledge because the robot does most of the work and you’re mostly there to check if the code runs and if the analysis the robot gave is plausible. I’ve had access to this type of project since day 1.

The other stuff (rating two chatbot responses, or generating conversations) requires more knowledge because it’s easier to misrate something due to lack of knowledge. On the projects where I rate other people’s ratings I have to mark like 40% of them for having objectively incorrect ratings.

On the non-coding side, I see a lot of projects come and go (they must have way more people doing these) but I usually have access to open ended talk to a chatbot projects. Recently I had a project asking me if I’d feel comfortable reading SEC finance reports (I said no). There’s projects where you try to get the chatbot to lie or to help you do a crime. There’s a project on my dashboard right now that’s paying $27.50/hr but the title has a “sexual violence” warning.

Impermanent posted:

is there some trick to getting assigned work? I signed up for an account back in october here and never heard back.

Dunno, I remember applying after work one day and I was accepted the same week. I’m guessing getting ghosted means you didn’t get in.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 20, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

El Generico posted:

The weird thing is, it totally seems like I got in, I got paid for the coding exam, made $60, then got stuck at the final approval step.

Was the $60 the bonus for completing the coding exam or was it paid out for actual work that you logged hours to? If it's just the bonus for getting the coding exam right, it could just be that your answer was technically correct (earning you the bonus) but your explanation on how you got there was insufficient (not getting approved for work). I'm just guessing though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Finally got around to applying for Data Annotations.

Will let the thread know if anything comes of it.

Good luck!

Made some money today rating really bad prompts today while watching TV. Lots of real basic poo poo today like:

robot write me a python code

Yes that’s the entire prompt that someone else asked. So that’s about ~5 minutes of "work" verifying whatever code the robots spit out work and also writing up a short comment on why I rated the responses the way I did. Do this a few dozen times and it’s like free money.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's been a while, but IIRC the onboarding process for me was:

1. apply
2. immediately got an email inviting me to take a coding qualification and a general qualification
3. did both qualifications
4. got an email saying project were available for me some days later, including some onboarding projects

e: It looks like the main page has a separate "know how to code?" link at the top. Pretty sure I didn't click on this link and just applied regularly.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hmm ok I remember having to do a A or B type of rating when I applied as well.

quote:

The coding "exam" was only three questions, and it was just input/output stuff, I know almost nothing about coding - but got a passing grade somehow?

How did you figure this by the way? I don’t think I saw any feedback on how I did other than the emailing saying I got accepted later on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duderclese posted:

Possibly weird question, but did you give them a LinkedIn profile with tech-ish skills listed?

To give you a datapoint I did give them my LinkedIn url when I made an account and I was instantly asked to take a qualification or whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Glad to help too, and I'm happy to see people applying and getting in. I've seen people mention in the various project chats that they've been working this gig for 1+ years so hopefully we can add to that datapoint as well. If AI is going to supposedly (lol and lmao) gently caress over all of our jobs then we might as well benefit from it in the meantime.

It seems like adding your LinkedIn profile may have helped. Correlation ≠ Causation, but it couldn't hurt. I guess this site advertises on popular social media and they get lots of low effort applications including people who just ask ChatGPT to write their application for them, so adding any bit of detail that distinguishes you as someone who's putting in effort is going to help out. So do take some time to fill out your profile description (I just wrote my background and what I'm good at), verify your phone number, add your LinkedIn, and update your skills and language competency (double check the competency levels).

For the skills, just add everything that you are good at or might be able to do I guess. I believe these open up qualifications for domain specific projects. I've gotten qualifications for maths, finances, business software like GSuite. Looking through the list right now it seems there's a little bit of something for everyone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Got my first basic paying project today! Also, this system seems very gameable unless they're really running numbers on the backend for how good the responses are likely to be based on metrics. The whole operation smells like a startup lighting VC money on fire so get in while the getting is good I guess.

All your submissions get sent to another group of gig workers to review. If enough people mark your work as bad quality it will most likely trigger some kind of oversight.

e: IMO the trick is to submit enough good poo poo that you get flagged as a "good worker". Then you get assigned work to review other people, and then you just keep doing those. Reviewing other people's work is like all I've been doing for weeks. I haven't rated any models in a while.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gameable in the efficiency sense, like pretending it takes me a really really long time to read responses. Is that reviewed on the other end at all?

On one project the admin said (paraphrasing) that time reports "that get flagged" will go over to their desk for approval/review and not to worry about it, while giving the spiel about how important quality > quantity is. So it's my impression that the admins you see are like data scientists and they're running these various projects for their own work and get the final say on whether your submissions are useful or not.

Getting flagged for time is probably just checking if you're an outlier I'm guessing. Gig workers reviewing your work don't get to see any metadata like how long you took, I basically see exactly what you see when you're doing the projects but there's additional info for me about what to focus on for reviewing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Interesting. There are "rate the person who reviewed someone else's work" projects.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gah, I'm entering day 6 of having no projects available. I got access ~8 days ago, but now can only see the Chatbot Outage posting and some random broken projects that slip through. V frustrating

I have that same "chatbots are offline" project as well… but I still have chatbot projects.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was reading an article about RLHF and the company SuperAnnotate was mentioned. Hoping over to their careers page takes you to their LinkedIn where they have the job "Creative Writing - AI Data Trainer (Remote)" listed. From what I can tell at a glance from their website this the same thing as the DataAnnotation job but I don't think they are the same company.

Also I believe Taskup.ai is also owned/run by the same people who run DA.

e: The SuperAnnotate position seems to be a full-time job (or at the very least only want people who can work full time:

quote:

Requirement: only the candidate who can commit 40 hours/week will be considered for this opportunity.

e2: There doesn't appear to be any posts on reddit asking about working at/for superannotate, but the company does seem to be legit. This might be another good opportunity, especially if they can guarantee minimum hours.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 9, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duderclese posted:

I appreciate the leads!

Yeah of course! I was hoping DA would have been good to more people here cause they've been really good to me. I'm super jealous of the people who can do 2 full time W-2 jobs cause that's not something I can do with my job, even if it was fully remote (it's not) cause I need to focus too much on it. But some days I know my workload is much lower so I've been trying to work from home on those days to double up with DA. If I ever got booted from DA I might try applying for one of those SA jobs if I think I can swing the hours.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My search skills are bad because there is exactly 1 post on Reddit about superannotate made only "1 day" ago from right now. It's on r/beermoney and some people mentioned having to submit a video interview thing?

Apparently there's also https://www.remotasks.com/en and it looks like it's also random gig work that pays $15-$20+ per hour but I'm phone posting now so I didn't look into that any further.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm still here, still getting work through DA. The higher paying ($40+/hour) programming related jobs are still plenty and available to me. Still doing mostly the "review other people" projects but it kind of feels like they have a larger pool of people qualified/vetted to be reviewers now because the tasks go down much faster.

Recently as of a few weeks they've been pushing a lot of Google AI related projects too. Like they straight up say "this is for Google's AI suite" so there is no ambiguity about what AI you're helping to train. Google AI projects are $22-$30/hour.

Recently an article was published on Time.com about data annotation jobs in general and they called out DataAnnotation.tech and Outlier.ai.

Here is Outlier.ai's job recruitment portal. Just at a glance it looks like they are hiring data annotators who know things like: coding, "data science", writing and creative writing, sciences like biology and physics, law (lol and lmao), accounting, nuclear physics, etc etc etc. As I have no experience with this website and I've never heard of it until today I can't speak for what those jobs are like but I'm assuming it's the exact same thing: here are 2 responses from an AI rate which one is better and explain. Pay ranges for Outlier seem to be $20-50/hour from clicking around a few of the jobs listed.

Good luck!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 6, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm thinking about applying at Outlier just to have more options for work. The code related work available to me today DA are ones I hate doing so I'd rather not.

Probably not a good idea to list on my resume that I've been working with DA if I'm applying for Outlier, I guess?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

LinkedIn is referring me to crossover.com for high paying remote jobs in fields that I'm qualified to work for but with suspiciously high salaries ($100k?) Is Crossover shady, a grift, or an outright scam? I already know it's the latter but I need someone to hit me over the head with "Yeah, no poo poo."

It seems to be a job board that is listing jobs for other companies/clients. At a first quick glance the jobs look legit which I'm basing on the fact that these companies have a website. But also, they are advertising principal engineering jobs at only 100k/year, which tells me that they're not really targeting the US market.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 15, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

I got a reply from the coordinator and she asked me to do the 150 recordings and then check back to see if "the system updated" for the remaining tasks in the first part. I've just completed those extra recordings since I am choosing to believe this project is being done in good faith, but of course "the system" didn't invent more tasks for me to do to get my quota high enough to be paid. It's clearly stating "there is no more work in this session" so I do not believe there will ever be more work in the session for me to complete. If this project decides not to pay me I think I am done with online task work since it seems to be leaning towards being more and more exploitative.

Yikes that really sucks. FWIW DA was doing a huge push for audio recordings recently. They were paying $20/hour + $1/recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Astro7x posted:

And it only pays you for time that the window is in focus.

I was curious how Outlier did timesheets. I wonder how the coding projects work with respect to time tracking.

DA is largely on the honor system where they tell you to track and self report your own time because the timer on their page isn't accurate (it's mostly there so that the task can time out and be released back into the pool). If 1 task takes me say 25 minutes I'm probably only on the actual DA website for 5 of those minutes and the rest I'm tabbed out searching Google or playing around in VS Code.