Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
All the Search Engine Evaluation jobs I've seen require a college degree, have any of you got it without one? I'm also interested in what WPM the transcribers here are doing. I can type pretty fast and have thought about doing transcription work in the past, but reading all the rules for it makes it look pretty daunting. Thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
This transcription stuff is nuts. My brain is telling me to write things they aren't saying! I have to go over it so many times just to get what they're actually saying and not what they meant. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds. I'm doing Dailytrans because of your recommendations. I don't have pedals but I have a video editing wheel which should help out when I can find it.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Finally got around to doing the transcription tests. DailyTrans is impossible to hear, I've gone over certain parts like 30 times and have no idea what the person's saying. Even after Googling and trying to use context. So I went to try Focus Forward's and it's so incredibly easier. Is DailyTrans so much better that it's worth torturing myself through that test? I'm only about 2 minutes in and there's been about 4 places that stop me dead and take me forever to figure out what's being said, and now once I absolutely can't hear at all. I understand I could put [INAUDIBLE] but I can kind of hear him. I can hear some syllables but I can't put a word to them.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
I have good closed headphones, that's not the issue. I can hear it fine, there's a car passing at the same time and the guy mumbles. It's just not fun to try and understand that guy, and I feel like I'd have to do perfect to be considered. I think I'm going to stick with Focus Forward until I'm more experienced, at least.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

lancelott posted:

Is it a bad idea to try to transcribe on DT or FF with $5 earbud headphones? That's the only pair I currently own. The sound quality is OK, not great, and I have a good quality dedicated sound card.

If it's a really bad idea, what's the cheapest adequate pair of headphones I could get that I could maybe find at a physical store? And is the preferred type closed ear headphones?

Buying in store severely limits your options and can easily cost twice as much. The cheapest headphones I'd recommend are the Monoprice 8323
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

or Sennheiser HD 201 - You can often get these for $15 on sale.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD201-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC

If you're really poor you could go with Monoprice 8320
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=8320&seq=1&format=2
These are probably the best sub-$20 IEM. I really am in love with these, and they're cheap enough to replace when your cat thinks they're a new toy.

edit: If you must go in store, there's usually a pair of closed Sony MDR-somethings for $20 which should work.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Trying to figure out how to downgrade express scribe to the free version is insane. If you get the popup saying your trial is over: you need to go to the uninstaller in Programs and Features and downgrade it to the free version. This help article from them sure helped!
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/kb/1571.html
"It'll automatically downgrade!"
Yeah, OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Almost ready to turn in my application for Focus Forward. A few questions, first.
Should I put in when they repeat words while they're thinking? Like, "Well, I'd have to say that—that—well, that's actually hard to say," or, "You men—you mentioned th—that." I assume so, and is the way I did it correct?
Also filler words they don't list. Leave them? The two subjects in this transcription say "Oh" and "Right" a lot. They don't serve a purpose and the instructions don't address it. I'm guessing I should leave it alone.

Laughing: do I put [LAUGHTER] once per person or just once for whoever is currently talking (probably)?

Slang/dialecty stuff: person says hasta instead of has to, which should I write down?

Anything else I should consider? I just don't want to give them any reason to deny me! Thanks for the help.