Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Monarchy posted:

Zeta sent me a pm asking me what was going on. I hope he doesn't mind me making that a public post because I'd like everyone to be on the same page.

About two months ago I posted looking for help clearing a really big backlog in a website-making service. Everybody chipped in, things were great, everybody got paid promptly for about a 2 month period. We hired a couple people from other places, and we paid out about 50,000 a month. Late May, the bank froze the owner's account and placed it "under review". Obviously that froze him out of his personal finances, me out of one of my major gigs, and a bunch of the guys here out of whatever they were working on.

I guess the idea is to stop you from doing business for a couple of months and if you're still in business after that, you're doing something illegal?

Total outstanding amount is around 1500 dollars owed to seven or eight different people. I can't put a date on when it is getting resolved - the bank reopened the account on Monday, but they still aren't letting anything go out. Maybe we get the go ahead...tomorrow, maybe longer. I'm not going to bother passing along anybody's estimates anymore.

What I'm doing now is selling the stuff that is off pretty good quality along with a bunch of my own work and paying out of that, and/or removing peoples material (if posted) and replacing it with my own stuff. You don't get paid, but you also don't have to worry about being defrauded. (used an email address with my real name on a forum I've been a member of for years and paid out thousands of dollars... kind of unlikely? maybe?)

Anyway, take what you wrote and sell it/build your portfolio/whatever.

Like I said, I'm pretty easy to contact, but if I don't get to you right away its because I'm really busy!

edit: eggplants, that's certainly a new rule to me. isn't there a post a job opening thread for this exact purpose?

I don’t know what to believe here. I really WANT to believe you. I’m a nice guy (avatar proves it). But even if I take you at face value, if I’m reading the time frames correctly, you still published goon work you solicited after you discovered the bank froze the owners account. You could have returned it unpublished once this new development happened. Even if you intended to not defraud anyone, circumstances happened that left people unpaid for work they did on your behalf, and work that you benefited from by publishing it. Regardless of how it happened I cannot allow someone to remain a poster in good standing with that result.

What I will do is I will recommend a regular ban, not a permaban. A permaban is my knee-jerk reaction when people are not paid as promised. Once it leaves my hands an admin can do anything they want from reject it entirely all the way to a 100,000 hour probation combined with a perma. But the deal needs to be that you will not buy back your account until you can make everyone whole. If and when you can, your first post will be informing us that you did end up paying everyone. If I see that you have reregistered without paying everyone back, even if you are only lurking, then I will recommend the punishment be upgraded to a permaban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Admittedly that is not a rule I've discussed with other mods. It is a personal preference to keep real shitstorms away from me :)

Job opening thread? Fine!
Thread where one goon ends up owing another one money? Please go to a forum with rules set up for it already.

That's my view, basically.

I agree with EPW. The only caveat is that you are welcome to post something here with a link to your thread in SA-Mart.