Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Derek79 posted:

One thing that I have rarely seen posted are at home phone jobs. In addition to Leapforce and various writing gigs, I have been with a company called LiveOps since May of 2007. I take calls for a variety of programs, most notably direct response infomercials, which is what most people start in. Taking these calls, you are paid .25 per minute that you are on the phone plus commission when certain things are sold. If there is an infomercial on television, odds are we probably take calls for it.

Once you start, you are able to add additional lines if you do a good job on your original line. Since May of 2007, I have been added to lines that take calls for Pizza Hut, Abbott Laboratories, Allstate First Notice of Loss, AAA Roadside Assistance and Lifelock Identity Protection. They also have specialty lines for those who have experience in the outbound industry as well as licensed insurance agents.

If anyone has questions, I would be glad to answer them. You can apply at https://www.liveops.com. There is a fee for the background check but that is the only cost associated with working there. I believe it is $50 or $55. It was actually $20 when I started so that may be outdated. They pay twice a month on the 1st and 16th. When I work it full time, I can bring in $3,000 to $4,000 a month (on about a 50 to 55 hour work week). It helps if you are available evenings, overnights and weekends, which are the prime times for direct response.

Hopefully you're still checking this thread since you don't have PMs..

Could you explain more of the details about LiveOps? Do you have to pay for multiple actual phone lines or do they all go through the same number? If the latter how do you know what you're taking a call for?

Can you specify the hours that you work? This is something I could do regularly on nights/weekends but I'd like it to be fairly flexible if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Derek79 posted:

I just use one phone line and all the calls come through there. If you are working direct response, the script will pop up a second or two before your phone actually rings. You just read whatever it says and go from there.

As far as the hours you work, there is a schedule. the available spots will be green and the taken spots will be yellow. A lot of times you might have to stalk for hours as people give them up regularly. If I don't go to the scheduled rollout, I can generally get a full days worth of hours with about 20 minutes of stalking the schedule page.

Interesting. Ok, I'm going to do this. I like phone work anyway that's where most my background is.

Edit: Any idea how long the approval process takes? Also what is the typical volume of calls? Constant or is there a lot of sitting around?

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 21, 2012

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

As an FYI for those of you thinking of doing LiveOps, I did the initial signup and qualification on April 26th and it took til today to get approved, the paperwork, and the info to run the background check. Background check is $50. So don't count on them if you need urgent cash, but they will eventually get around to answering you. I'll post again once everything clears and I can start working to give you guys an idea of the timing and such.

drat I signed up a week ago and was hoping the turn around would be a bit faster. Two months is a pain in the rear end amount of time to have to wait. I'm really just trying to back all the money I lost gambling so it isn't urgent or anything but still.

Were you able to receive the paperwork via fax/e-mailback and send it back similarly or did it all have to go standard mail?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So LiveOps finally processed my request and I'm filling out the electronic paperwork now. I signed a thing saying they could run a background check but I didn't have to pay for it.

Did I miss a step here? The link they provided to FirstAdvantage doesn't work so I can't even double check.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So LiveOps says my phone line cannot be Vonage, is this something they are able to verify?

I have a Vonage line and I'm moving in a little over a month so I'm not going to pay for the installation of a phone line at my old apartment now. I potentially just created a major headache for myself, what a pain.

Oh well, I guess I'll sort this nonsense out at some point.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Derek79 posted:

The requirement is that you have a traditional landline. With that being said, I use vonage and have used it for some time. Just be sure to log into your account and turn off your voicemail and call waiting before logging in to take calls

Oh thank god, I didn't want to deal with that nonsense particularly right around a move. Are there any settings that I need to know about for the Vonage line besides voice mail and call waiting?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Derek79 posted:

The requirement is that you have a traditional landline. With that being said, I use vonage and have used it for some time. Just be sure to log into your account and turn off your voicemail and call waiting before logging in to take calls

Ok, one more question, are they able to verify any of the wireless stuff or is that sort of BS as well?

Basically will I be able to use a cordless phone and wireless internet?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Derek79 posted:

That is my set up exactly. You'll be just fine.

Thanks for all the help! Finally got all my stuff setup and am doing the training. Wish I hadn't waited until the bubble for that, it is more annoying that I thought it would be.

Oh well this will keep me out of trouble on weeknights and weekends a bit so I'm semi-looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I have officially started my LiveOps tenure. Finished the certification calls and they currently owe me $24.32!

I will say that the going through three up sells/down sells followed by three affinity program offers is ridiculous. With my first real call I basically ended up skipping them because every time I started on the next one the guy was like, "No no no" so I'm a little worried I'll get a compliance event for that one.

Does reading through the scripts become less cringe worthy as you do this? Do people actually purchase the affinity offers?

I have decided to earn, at a minimum, $62.5 to get my background check paid off before I make any decisions about continuing this.