Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Hey transcriptionists, recommendations on headphones and a pedal? I'm about to wrap up a big contract and looking at ways to bridge the gap to my next one and I've never minded doing transcription when I've done it before. Or failing that, anything in particular to look for in headphones? I have a pair that I really like but they have a lot of low end and bass response, dunno if that's good or not.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Thanks, kazmeyer.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Textbroker doesn't usually check cites or anything. I'm not saying write anything wrong, but you don't really have to do academic-level legwork. I stick with fields I know or that are pretty easy to bullshit (cars, for example, have a lot of articles that are pretty much "Buy a <make> <model> from <client>. Did you know the <make> <model> gets excellent gas mileage?" etc. etc.). It also helps if you can grab a bunch of similar ones. As an example, I had a day where I pretty much poopsocked the Honda website writing 300 word blurbs about Honda vehicles for a bunch of different car dealerships, so once I knew a smattering about each model, I could crank things out.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Anybody done any writing work for these guys? http://www.interactmedia.com/

Just curious how legit it is.

Nexus42, send me a PM or give me an email address and I'll send you some of mine that have gotten approved on Textbroker.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Just want to say that since Leapforce has been hit or mess for the past few days, I've been doing a lot more with Media Piston. Topics depend entirely on clients, but their editors approve stuff pretty quick, don't act like assholes, and move things along. I was working on a batch of short little 100 word blurbs and by the time I was done with #6, the first 5 had already passed through review. There's not a great selection of articles, which is the only downside. Upside is there's a lot less old school Demand crap.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'm at about $40 after 3 days of grabbing stuff on Media Piston. Not anything to write home about yet, but not too bad for something I do for cash between bigger gigs and am only doing for an hour or two here and there.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

As an FYI for those of you thinking of doing LiveOps, I did the initial signup and qualification on April 26th and it took til today to get approved, the paperwork, and the info to run the background check. Background check is $50. So don't count on them if you need urgent cash, but they will eventually get around to answering you. I'll post again once everything clears and I can start working to give you guys an idea of the timing and such.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I could electronically sign the paperwork and everything, so that did help.

LiveOps General, per the email. Whatever that means.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Excellent, thanks.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

My background check cleared and I'm approved for LiveOps. Will post trip report once I read the docs and get some time to do it.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, I haven't had much in the way of tasks with Leapforce for about a month and a half.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Dunno about anyone else but as of this week I'm starting to reliably get tasks on Leapforce again.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I've done some work off and on on oDesk and eLance. Basically, you'll need to work those crap rates a few times to get a good rating, then you can dig for people who want to pay for actual work rather than "I want a knockoff of Amazon.com and will pay $1/hour up to $30."

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I basically gave up on Leapforce for a while. There were several months when I couldn't get more than a few minutes on tasks and then a bunch of weird one-offs came through but it wasn't worth reading the guidelines for 5 minutes of work, so I went to work on some other stuff.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Does Demand Media even still do stuff with regular scrubs like us (or me, anyway)? Last I looked at them they pretty much had nothing if you weren't already an Expert with credentials.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I've routinely sold a bunch of my poo poo on Amazon (I move a lot though so it's an occasional "poo poo I need to sell 200 books" thing for me, not a professional thing).

Honestly, it's pretty much like buying from Amazon only you're selling. They run the credit cards and then shoot you an email telling you who to send poo poo to and what to send them. There's not really a lot to do other than listing your stuff and picking a price then waiting for the emails to come in. I forget what the payment schedule is like but it's not like EBay where you can get hustled really easy. Everything goes through Amazon proper.

Downside is it's pretty price conscious but if your stuff is in good shape and close to the lowest price for that condition, you'll clean house pretty quick. Unless it's really mass market, mainstream stuff selling for a penny, then mayyybe you'll make a few cents with the shipping allowance but you'd do better donating it to Goodwill and taking the tax deduction or posting it on your local Craigslist.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

If you have a smartphone, I'd check and see if there's a scouter-type app that'd let you scan barcodes and then do the listing automagically. Something along the lines of RedLaser.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I did LiveOps for a while and it's legit work but honestly if you're cut out for phone work at the volume they throw at you, you could work at a call center and probably make more money with a fair shot at benefits and such so long as you could do things like show up for work on time for 3 months.

In terms of the phone requirement, your local phone company probably has a local-calls only line that's just a dialtone and a phone number for like $20 a month.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I've gone inactive on Leapforce several times and always been able to test back on. It's kind of a pain in the rear end now, though, basically everything is some form of Side by Side (or was during my last stint) and they were hellaciously nitpicky about it, so it went from "easy money while I watch baseball" to "they're treating it like an actual job."

Number of tasks seems to vary as widely as it always does.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I quit doing Leapforce when they got super picky about rating quality and task rating went from "Here is this website any good" to constant side-by-side "evaluate these two sets of five search results and if you get even one evaluation of a single site wrong then we're going to send you a snarky note and threaten to cancel your contract." Just wasn't worth the hassle anymore.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Anyone done writing for LOLWOT? http://cms.lolwot.com/

Saw a random ad for them and the prospect seems interesting but also shady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

i wrote a ton of how to articles back in the content mill glory days for things like emt certifications and how to get them. i mean i did my best but the idea that someone is an emt reading my dipshit advice *tugs collar*