Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Yep, just got an e-mail from them saying they need a photo id.

I am trying to reactivate my LeapForce. I sent an e-mail to agent support last weekend and haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone have experience getting their LeapForce account reactivated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'm gonna try to apply to Daily Transcription. Wow, that first file they make you do on the application page is a nightmare. Plus it would be nice if there were more example templates to verify your work on. I've transcribed about five minutes of audio in the last two hours but I'm slowly picking up speed. If I get hired I will definitely invest in a pedal.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

The pedal will make an enormous difference in how fast you are.

Here is a decent deal on the industry-standard pedal (plus some earbuds you probably won't use for transcription and a USB hub).

Thanks kaz, they just contacted me and it looks like I am hired. I appreciate the recommendation.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

A lot of fishy stuff goes on in Florida for some reason. If I see a company is from there it's usually a bad sign.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone doing Crowd Sourcing for Appen Butler Hill? I keep getting e-mails that there are new tasks but I never see them in Marketplace :( Been dry the last few days.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I told them I worked for Leapforce. They were cool with that and I got hired.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Hey kazmeyer, how do you level up in the transcription business? It takes me like 3 hours to transcribe about 30 minutes. The people have the worst speaking habits. If you do the math at .60/minute, it's like six bucks an hour. How do you gain access to the big bucks work? Also, I'm with Daily Transcription and when I request work the turnaround is always next day or less than 24 hours but I'm not making more than .60/minute as far as I know.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

That's cool. Thanks for the explanation. I'm going back to school and doing my best to stay out of retail slavery. I don't mind the work and so far the topics I've gotten are pretty interesting so I'll keep plugging away. I am getting faster. The most frustrating part is just getting the drat format down with all the headers and footers. Open Office was a nightmare and I switched back to MS Word which makes this way easier. I built up a template document with preset headers and footers and now that saves me tons of time and yelling at my computer. I wasted a lot of time on my first two jobs just screwing around with that stuff.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I went ahead and applied to Focus Forward since yep Daily Transcripts isn't giving out much work at the moment. I wish I was fluent in Spanish. They pay $37.50 per 15 minutes of Spanish audio transcription!

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I've been using InqScribe. I think it's a pretty good program. I'm probably under utilizing because all I do is play files and transcribe with it. Then I copy/paste to Word. So far it has played everything flawlessly. My trial is almost up and I'll end up buying it.

I was using Express Scribe but the trial ran out and I can't really do much with it anymore apparently. I was also having problems with that god awful Daily Transcripts .rm file for the test and also had to use RealPlayer for some parts. This was all with Express Scribe.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'm with Lionbridge and all I seem to get are experimental and the occasional SxS. I'm still kind of new and it is so annoying having to learn a new experimental every time I want to do anything. Usually I just say screw it and watch tv or something. My brain just totally shuts down and I find it hard to concentrate on what they want. It's just frustrating they give you a 100+ page book to read and I haven't even applied any of it because I have never had URL rating yet.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, DT is pretty cool and they always have people around ready to answer your stupid questions. I decided to up my minutes per day on the schedule and apparently they like that because I have tons of work now. I'll be making around $150-200 this week. They sent me four files the other day which were all part of a series. The first and last five minutes or so were the same exact audio for all the files so a little copy/paste easy money there.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I just rejected some work from Daily Transcription because apparently I need to open these QuickTime files as .bwf files in order to view the timecode in order to transcribe properly. Anyone know how to do that? I spent like 20 minutes looking for converters and messing around in QuickTime and Inqscribe to no avail.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, tried that. Oh well.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

That sounds like some high level security clearance poo poo right there. I did my first 1.25/min file last week and I guess I'm now on the mailing list for rush jobs because I'm getting $1/min e-mail offers now. So I must be doing something right.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Cool, I bookmarked your link in case I need it for later, thanks. I just accepted a rush job with some hosed up formatting. Different colors for timecodes and spoken text and centered speaker names. Don't people realize this is a giant pain in the rear end :( I'm not exactly a Word genius so tons of copy/pasting for me.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Haha, I heard ExpressScribe was free but never could figure out how to get it to work after the trial was over so I switched to InqScribe which is better imo.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, use the timecode in the box or whatever. They are cool with inaudibles, that test file was hell. I'm not really sure about the resume. I would assume that your accuracy on the test file is more important to them. When you sign up, you get access to a scheduling website. You can schedule up to two weeks into the future or so. You pick days and input the number of minutes you want to transcribe each day. And yeah, good luck making even 100 bucks a week. I am signed up every day and this week has been dry so far. Other times you always have something to do. It's pretty random.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I haven't got any notification about a tool bar yet. And god drat them. I was looking for tasks and a SxS local task popped up and I read the 30 page PDF because there just aren't enough PDFs to read and goddammit I get one little two minute task and that's it for tasks on that subject.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

After I had totally forgot about them and written them off weeks ago, Focus Forward e-mailed me and said I failed their transcription test. Oh well. Not sure what I missed. Daily Transcription still thinks I'm a pretty cool guy at least.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Logging into that stupid toolbar every time with no work is getting kind of old.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

What are people looking for in terms of transcription experience? I've done a ton of work for DT so far but not sure how that translates to other companies. Should I be adding up my transcription hours or months as an employee or what?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I've been working 0 hours a week and they haven't said anything. Of course, I am probably out of a job at the 6 month mark. I think the most I've made in a month there was like 100 bucks.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Wow, DT has really picked up. They are handing out rush jobs like candy and I also got a raise.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I made about $170 yesterday. After all these months I can finally see how you're able to make a decent living doing this.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Lionbridge is awarding me for being a slacker by offering a 2 hours for the price of 3 deal if I come back to work. Too bad it's only 1 bonus hour max. Job is about as exciting as watching paint dry but I guess I'll cash in on that.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I always just copy/paste a time code template and only have to put in the last four numbers or so if time codes are called for.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

In InqScribe I've had problems with the pedal not reversing for some reason on a file or two. I was able to set up a reverse hot key using shift-tab or something like that. It's only a little slower than the pedal since those keys are easily accessed.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah Kaz, I think they were .wma files. I'll have to check out those conversion programs you mentioned next time something screws up.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

They seem pretty busy. I only work on the weekends since I have school and a "real job" but they are always sending me stuff when I schedule. I was kind of scared about their new pay system but so far it hasn't screwed me.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Gotta love those interviews where you can write [non-interview] and sit back and relax for ten minutes.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

But that would have taken me four minutes to transcribe instead of four hours.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I must be pretty dumb because I always enter my time codes by hand. I just paste a time code template every time and fill in the minutes and seconds. Maybe thats why I never got bothered about my time codes being off.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, it's been pretty dry. I got an offer to do some editing for 50 cents a minute a moment ago, but eh. I think I'll do lionbridge instead.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

How do you see who else has signed up?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Oh cool, didn't know that's what that number meant.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Horray for 6am emails telling me my time codes are off. I transcribed an hour long mp3 file in InqScribe and at the end the TC was off by 15 or 20 seconds. So I went through with Windows Media Player and manually fixed an hour worth of TCs. At least this job let me do them in one minute increments so it only took about 25 minutes. Anyone else have problems with InqScribe and time codes?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I used running time. Yeah, it started off fine and drifted significantly at the end. It was just an audio file too so I dunno.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I hate the projects where you get like ten different files and they are all 2 or 3 minutes long and have to be transcribed in different documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, I have gotten emails asking if I can confirm when I sent confirmation like eight hours ago. Pretty annoying on a Saturday night. They seem to be getting busier and everyone dumping emails into submissions probably isn't the best way to keep track of everything anymore.

Spartan421 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 9, 2013