Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
This is a great new OP, thanks.

A few things:

- For Lionbridge, Toggl and Lionbridge Task Control are two useful resources for keeping track of your work time.

- In my experience, if you write solid pieces for Constant Content, they sell consistently, for a good amount, and within a reasonable amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is textbroker really more worthwhile than Constant Content? I usually made $25+ on articles. Granted, they were good quality, while you can sell garbage on TB, but still. If you can actually come up with ideas for articles, I would highly recommend trying CC.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Ugh, I just checked my star ratings in Lionbridge for the past couple of months. I used to average 4 stars, sometimes getting 5, and sometimes 3, but the last three months I have gotten 2 three-stars and a two star in March. I have no idea at all what is different month to month but it scares me to get a 2 star rating. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make sure I get high star ratings? It is so incredibly frustrating to have no idea what in the hell they rating me on and why...

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

dms666 posted:

Been liking the constant 30 hour weeks recently

If there are excess hours allowed one week, can I work those hours any time in the month? Like this past week was extra - can I work extra from now until the end of the month and end up with an approximately 99 hour month? Or do I have to complete it during the specific week?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

dms666 posted:

I have done multiple 30 hours weeks before to have the extra hours to take a week off and they have never said anything. I dont see why they would with this either.

Yeah I remember reading in the official literature somewhere that the 20-hr a week rule is calculated by month, so for instance in a 28 day February you could do 80 hours spread out any way you wanted over the month. But I was just unsure about this case with the bonus allotment.

I find it terribly difficult to max out. I just find it really hard to focus on such mind-numbing work - last month I got to about 71 hours, but I haven't been able to get past that yet.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 14, 2012

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Ugh no Lionbridge work in the morning for second day in a row, makes me want to pull my hair out.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

6 months is long enough for me, it's just as a side thing to pay down some CC debt.

If you can get Lionbridge work instead, I would recommend it. I have been fairly okay with it thus far, been doing it about 15 months. I get ratings that are all over the palce (5/5 stars one month, 2/5 a few months later, no idea what changed) and every once in a while there is a dry spot but it's been pretty good besides those things.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Thanks to whoever suggested textbroker. With DS dying, I needed somewhere new.

Might as well plug Constant Content while I'm posting. It has cons as well - you never know if your articles will sell, can take a while - but if you write a good article about a reasonably desirable subject you should be able to pull 20-30 for it.

On another note, I just got back from a weekend vacation and I only had one LB task today and I'm out. A bit unusual for the beginning of the month, on a weekday - what are fellow LB workers seeing?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

So I'm moving from St Louis to Baltimore in a month. I wonder if I can keep my Lionbridge job? I've been at it for 15 months and it's been nice, I really hope so. If not, can I apply to Butler Hill or Leapforce or anything similar? Is textbroker, constant content or transcription the only gigs left?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Ha, yeah, I saw that Goonerotica thread. No way I am doing that, but it is a clever way of making money. It seemed from the Self Publishing thread that goons have not made a lot of money from non-erotica stuff. I love writing fiction and that seems really neat but I am highly skeptical. Also writing good fiction takes a lot of time.

Hmm. I wonder what I should do about moving. I wonder if I could somehow keep my bank account here and just not tell them. I suppose they would see that I am logging in from a different site, but I don't know if that would matter. I also wonder why they care where I live?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Thanks a lot for all the feedback about LB and moving and so on.

Cetaphobia posted:

To make a lot of money, you have to write FAST. Putting out something once a year will not make you rich. Once a month or once a week, might. The Reddit threads I linked to are about an author who made their money with fiction, not erotica. Most were short stories or novellas sold at $2.99.

This is a terribly tempting idea to try. I took maybe 3 creative writing courses in college and I love writing, but I just haven't done it in quite some time. I'm skeptical as heck though. Even if you could write good stuff, how do you get noticed?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

What kind of money are you making with Media Piston?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

:stonk:

Ugh why?? Lionbridge is boring as hell as it is. Welp, at least I have my Nook Color...

Edit: Is there any problem with browsing in a separate Firefox tab while I work?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 16, 2012

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Huh, I haven't gotten a star rating in Lionbridge since May, not that I had any idea how they calculated it. Still, it felt reassuring since I usually got 4 stars. Anyone else have this?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I wish they would have some kind of system where you could claim tasks at the beginning of a day, week, or month. I wonder if that is just not feasible, because it would really make a heck of a difference. How do they expect people to do exactly, set aside four hours a day and then just sit and click refresh the whole time? Or just give up after 5 minutes and go play tiddly winks because you arranged your schedule to have four free hours and now there are no tasks? Maybe the whole program is aimed at people with no life at all whatsoever who will anyway be just sitting around watching youtube videos all day?

I guess I can't complain, it pays decently and is decent part time work overall. But I would think that a company like this would put some modicum of effort into trying to make the work at least palatable instead of totally aggravating 100% of its employees.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

So I kind of got a more stable job than Lionbridge and don't have much time to do it anymore - how stringent are they with the 10 hours a week thing? The last time I was doing it, a week and a half ago, there were still task shortages, so I suppose they can't really cut you for not working enough?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Welp. Got a job that pays better than LB so I might quit. It was a nice run I guess, but the task shortages killed me. It's some nice cash but task shortages + incredible boringness made it hard to clock in 20 hours a week for me.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Nighthand posted:

It already blows my mind that you managed to stick with it as long as you did.

Haha you were keeping track? I was at it for about a year and a half. There were people in the last thread that did that much or more, I think.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

If I quit Lionbridge, is there any way to go back later? I just don't have the time now but I would love to have it as an option.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

If Butler Hill really has no problems with task shortages go with them. Lionbridge had terrible task shortages quite often.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I felt pretty awkward when I was writing for bright hub and ehow, and at the same time I was giving those sites bad ratings for lionbridge...

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Does anyone who worked or works at Lionbridge or Leapforce - or even Butler Hill - have any idea what would be appropriate to put on resumes/LinkedIn as far as job description? I am worried about that confidentiality agreement, but I have to be able to describe my job, right? If I just use somewhat vague descriptions without using the G word, am I okay? I'm more worried about LinkedIn.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 5, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Kilo India posted:

I may write fast. I did an informational 10,000 word eBook yesterday that took me about 3 hours, including the editing and clean up work. I genuinely don't know how that compares to other people; I'd be interested in knowing.

You are approximately one million times faster than everyone else ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Just wanted to mention steemit. It seems strange but it's pretty cool actually.